Thread: Changing your hobby spending habits

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing your hobby spending habits

Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases. If I sell, I can add that too but my hope is this forces me to stop making impulse buys, especially day of release purchases. I'm curious if anyone else has done this before and if it helped your spending habits or if what mine might turn into, a month long experiment

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been quite so stringent with my limit but I have done a very similar thing. I don't jump on release day cards unless they are low numbered or very cheap. I also try to sell more often but that has been hit or miss for me. I do try to work out deals with people that break large amounts of product so I can bundle cards together to save on shipping too.
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been cheap, but honestly, buying just one or two boxes a year helps me enjoy the breaks a lot more, and I regret it a lot less.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to keep my focus on the main parts of my collection and not have my head turned by vintage that is not Yankee oriented.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:1956 Rizzuto pin & some 1961 & 62 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's tough!
    I've done that in the past with great success. i have had no limit on myself (within reason) for a couple years now amd i find myself grabbing items ill probably sell down the road anyway. its a greatbway to keep focused. I've been thinking after the first of the year I'll impose another limit
    **looking for Sweet spot, game ball and sweet sigs autos off my needs list.**

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I open 3 products a year: Draft, Bowman and Pro Debut. Other than that, it's attending minor league games and scoring graphs

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally picked a project to under take, so although my monthly budget won't change much, it'll be more focused and won't end up with so many inserts for COMC and base to donate.

Good for my space, clutter sitting around and my Card OCD of having everything uniform...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a HORDER! It is very hard to do. No luck in doing so.

rp7001
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one habit I am trying to change is going after higher-end cards rather than spending my budget on $10-20 lots. Lately, I have added a few higher-end things to my watch lists.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set myself a budget every month and do my best to stick to it. If something comes along that I'll never see again then maybe I blow the budget but I deduct it from the budget the next month.

I mainly try to trade for most of my collection out of the wax I open.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve tried spending $90 a paycheck and sometimes it gets hard especially when a card becomes available for your PC that you canít pass up and you donít have the funds

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases. If I sell, I can add that too but my hope is this forces me to stop making impulse buys, especially day of release purchases. I'm curious if anyone else has done this before and if it helped your spending habits or if what mine might turn into, a month long experiment

I tried and failed, addicted to cardboard crack.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases.
    We'll find out how that works for me as I find myself needing to do the same thing as you. I found out my freelance services contract ends Dec 31st so my money is limited to my savings until I hustle some odd jobs or get another stable job. With the income cut, I'm going to be limited to $50/month budget. Luckily I can get by with inexpensive hand collated sets as I don't have to rip boxes to make sets, but I will miss buying boxes for some releases I like to set build.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    We'll find out how that works for me as I find myself needing to do the same thing as you. I found out my freelance services contract ends Dec 31st so my money is limited to my savings until I hustle some odd jobs or get another stable job. With the income cut, I'm going to be limited to $50/month budget. Luckily I can get by with inexpensive hand collated sets as I don't have to rip boxes to make sets, but I will miss buying boxes for some releases I like to set build.
    Good luck! Side note, I'm looking to sell or possibly trade all my sets