Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Changing your hobby spending habits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases. If I sell, I can add that too but my hope is this forces me to stop making impulse buys, especially day of release purchases. I'm curious if anyone else has done this before and if it helped your spending habits or if what mine might turn into, a month long experiment

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I've never been quite so stringent with my limit but I have done a very similar thing. I don't jump on release day cards unless they are low numbered or very cheap. I also try to sell more often but that has been hit or miss for me. I do try to work out deals with people that break large amounts of product so I can bundle cards together to save on shipping too.

RagingAcid

Feb 26, 2017
Markham, ON
I've always been cheap, but honestly, buying just one or two boxes a year helps me enjoy the breaks a lot more, and I regret it a lot less.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'm trying to keep my focus on the main parts of my collection and not have my head turned by vintage that is not Yankee oriented.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
it's tough!
I've done that in the past with great success. i have had no limit on myself (within reason) for a couple years now amd i find myself grabbing items ill probably sell down the road anyway. its a greatbway to keep focused. I've been thinking after the first of the year I'll impose another limit

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I finally picked a project to under take, so although my monthly budget won't change much, it'll be more focused and won't end up with so many inserts for COMC and base to donate.

Good for my space, clutter sitting around and my Card OCD of having everything uniform...

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The one habit I am trying to change is going after higher-end cards rather than spending my budget on $10-20 lots. Lately, I have added a few higher-end things to my watch lists.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I set myself a budget every month and do my best to stick to it. If something comes along that I'll never see again then maybe I blow the budget but I deduct it from the budget the next month.

I mainly try to trade for most of my collection out of the wax I open.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases. If I sell, I can add that too but my hope is this forces me to stop making impulse buys, especially day of release purchases. I'm curious if anyone else has done this before and if it helped your spending habits or if what mine might turn into, a month long experiment

I tried and failed, addicted to cardboard crack.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Ladies and germs, I've decided to self impose a hobby spending limit starting next year. My plan is to transfer 50 a month into PayPal and use only that for purchases.

We'll find out how that works for me as I find myself needing to do the same thing as you. I found out my freelance services contract ends Dec 31st so my money is limited to my savings until I hustle some odd jobs or get another stable job. With the income cut, I'm going to be limited to $50/month budget. Luckily I can get by with inexpensive hand collated sets as I don't have to rip boxes to make sets, but I will miss buying boxes for some releases I like to set build.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
We'll find out how that works for me as I find myself needing to do the same thing as you. I found out my freelance services contract ends Dec 31st so my money is limited to my savings until I hustle some odd jobs or get another stable job. With the income cut, I'm going to be limited to $50/month budget. Luckily I can get by with inexpensive hand collated sets as I don't have to rip boxes to make sets, but I will miss buying boxes for some releases I like to set build.
Good luck! Side note, I'm looking to sell or possibly trade all my sets

Members online