Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi My introduction and question

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi My introduction and question

Hello everyone. I've been lurking a little while and feel like I should introduce myself.

I won a large number of baseball cards around 1985. I've added to the "collection" every now and then by throwing another pack in the box. In 2013 I inherited a large number of cards. I never had time to do anything with them. Busy raising kids and that sort of thing.

I finally decided I should see what I have in that box, now that I have time. I had estimated I had about 3,000 altogether. Actually I have about 8,000. I am busy putting them in binders and recording what I have. Right now I am writing them in a notebook but plan on getting Excel and recording what I have in there.

My question is, how does everyone keep track of their cards when you have large numbers of cards? Is there a better way than Excel? I'm about halfway done with recording everything in the notebook. I haven't even seen half the cards I have yet. But writing all this in a notebook, only to transfer it all to Excel when I'm done.. Is there an easier way?

Thanks everyone!

colima311
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the boards.

I myself use Beckett Organize to log/manage my collection which is nearing the 10K mark. That I've entered anyway.
    I've also scanned the majority of my cards and have them uploaded in Photobucket. I do copy and paste from my Beckett Organize to Photobucket so that I have the same naming convention.

Feel free to browse through my profiles below, maybe you can get some ideas for your collection.

photobucket
    http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z456/colima311/
    Beckett Organize
    www.beckett.com/users/sonic311

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome. Thank you so much.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    That said, I use Excel to list the number of cards from each year and also a column for what they are worth. I then use separate Excel sheets for higher dollar cards, graded cards, autographed cards, etc. Those sheets I do by year.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a perfect system.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi My introduction and question

I have a freewebs page where I scan and list all my graded/autos both in person and certs/game used/wantlists etc. that way it's easy to send a link of a list/scan to a potential trade/sale.

I also have all of my in person signed cards in a sortable on-line excel file that has prices for selling and can be sorted by team/name/brand on the different tabs because everyone sorts/searches for their collection differently.
    I just do that with my signed cards because I have a ton of them, but have seen people do online excel for wantlists or trade lists or whatever. Again, a quick and easy way to just send someone your link and have them take a look if you're trading/selling.

Welcome to the boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Last edited by swish54_99; 12-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome!

It sounds like a good organizational system you have. I just never thought that it would be so tedious once I got down to organizing them. It has been a lot of fun, I'll just be glad when it is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome. I am somewhat new on these boards but I can tell you these guys really know there stuff.

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up ------------ present count around 800,000

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it definitely takes a while to get everything you want entered actually put in a list, but if you keep up on it when you make trades/sales it's easy to keep it updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be having fun keeping it updated.

Right now my biggest problem is that I've been looking at Ebay and I want every card I see. I'd love to build a collection of the Brooklyn Dodgers but have to limit myself for now.

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundingThird View Post
    I will be having fun keeping it updated.

Right now my biggest problem is that I've been looking at Ebay and I want every card I see. I'd love to build a collection of the Brooklyn Dodgers but have to limit myself for now.
    the Vintage guys on here will be a lot of help . I have 90% of my cards by teams and in alpha order , I deal bulk team or player 1985- 2017 .That's over 200 of 3200 counts

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tramers View Post
    the Vintage guys on here will be a lot of help
    That is very good to hear.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only I had started an inventory list in 1978 and stuck with it as I added. Never happen now, too many. I can't even stomach the thought of spending the time to inventory my Garvey collection. Started with front and back scans and got through about 1978 and it fizzled out!

I started making a list of all Dodger players to inventory autographs with and have yet to finish the list. In all fairness to me, it has years with team, death year and if they were LA, Brooklyn or both. I also added an "award" column to note gold gloves, MVP, All Star, etc. Finally I have columns for the type of auto (certified Dodger uniform, TTM/IP, etc). I am 98% done with a list of all players, and maybe 1/3 done with the other columns. If I ever finished, it would take forever to actually sort through all my autos to record them.

@psalm867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Hello and welcome. I am somewhat new on these boards but I can tell you these guys really know there stuff.
    Hello and thank you. I feel like I am in over my head sometimes lol. I'm learning a lot here already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast