Thread: Wade Davis Signs 3-Year/$52M Deal

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Wade Davis Signs 3-Year/$52M Deal

With the Rockies. Highest per-year deal in history for a reliever.

Their pen is not to be f***ed with.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Last edited by Jaypers; 12-29-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    J.P.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
    With the Rockies. Highest per-year deal in history for a reliever.

Their pen is not to be f***ed with.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Too bad they may not have the starters to get the game to the pen.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a good year on paper but, he was a 9th inning heart attack!

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I took too long to trade Holland from my fantasy team cuz I know he's no longer the 9th inning man
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Too bad they may not have the starters to get the game to the pen.
    A good reason to load up on a ton of top tier relief pitchers. Although I'm not sure if it will really make any difference.

No starter is ever going to truly dominate in Colorado, with the exception of the occasional guy who has a lucky good season. Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    A good reason to load up on a ton of top tier relief pitchers. Although I'm not sure if it will really make any difference.

No starter is ever going to truly dominate in Colorado, with the exception of the occasional guy who has a lucky good season. Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?
    The Rockies are one of four teams (Marlins, Rangers, Reds, and Rockies) that have not had a Cy Young Award winner.

Even if you load up the pen though those guys can't pitch every day. Honestly Colorado would be the perfect place to try out the piggyback rotation idea that several teams have kicked around but never committed to full time.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rockies are one of four teams (Marlins, Rangers, Reds, and Rockies) that have not had a Cy Young Award winner.

Even if you load up the pen though those guys can't pitch every day. Honestly Colorado would be the perfect place to try out the piggyback rotation idea that several teams have kicked around but never committed to full time.
    Yeah, I don't disagree with you.

On another note, I'm a little surprised to hear that the Reds have never had a Cy Young winner, as they have been around since before the first Cy Young award was handed out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't disagree with you.

On another note, I'm a little surprised to hear that the Reds have never had a Cy Young winner, as they have been around since before the first Cy Young award was handed out.
    I didn't expect to see the Reds on there either but then I had a hard time coming up with great pitchers from their history other than Tom Seaver at the end of his career. They've had some pitchers have great individual seasons but never put together the kind of runs it takes to win Cy Youngs.

ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't expect to see the Reds on there either but then I had a hard time coming up with great pitchers from their history other than Tom Seaver at the end of his career. They've had some pitchers have great individual seasons but never put together the kind of runs it takes to win Cy Youngs.
    I really couldn't either so I had to look up their top 10 WAR & ERA leaders. Only 2 of their top 10 WAR leaders were pitching since the creation of the Cy Young award (all were under the 50 WAR mark) & their top post-Cy Young WAR leader was Jose Rijo. Certainly a good pitcher during his time, finished 4th & 5th in Cy Young a couple seasons but he was never a pitcher you'd consider among the best. The other one was Jim Maloney and I was surprised to see how good of a pitcher he was from '63-'66. He finished each season with an ERA under 3, 200+ IP & 200+ strikeouts. In my mind these were Cy Young *caliber* seasons. Unfortunately for him, during this era only one pitcher was awarded the Cy Young (not for each league) and their was another pitcher around named Sandy Koufax.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?
    Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. He had a fantastic year, including a no-hitter. I felt he deserved more recognition for that year's performance; the way that everyone wants to discount Rockies hitters' stats because they play in Coors, they should have been bumping Jimenez up because he patched half of that year's games in Coors. Oh well.

On a side note, thanks for the little Aubrey Plaza gif in your sig, which I find pleasant to look at. I ran into her at the Denver airport a couple years ago, and she looked GOOOOOOOOD in person, too.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

corockies
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack View Post
    Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. He had a fantastic year, including a no-hitter. I felt he deserved more recognition for that year's performance; the way that everyone wants to discount Rockies hitters' stats because they play in Coors, they should have been bumping Jimenez up because he patched half of that year's games in Coors. Oh well.

On a side note, thanks for the little Aubrey Plaza gif in your sig, which I find pleasant to look at. I ran into her at the Denver airport a couple years ago, and she looked GOOOOOOOOD in person, too.
    Ubaldo's career went in the pooper after that season as well when Tulo and Cargo were given huge contracts and he got nothing. Jimenez went all baby on the Rockies so they traded him and he has never been even close to what he was in 2010.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aubrey Plaza was great in criminal minds as an assassin.

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.c...0&h=420&crop=1

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid pass on Davis from me.

I did not want to see them sign another 9th inning heart attack again.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.