Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wade Davis Signs 3-Year/$52M Deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Too bad they may not have the starters to get the game to the pen.

A good reason to load up on a ton of top tier relief pitchers. Although I'm not sure if it will really make any difference.

No starter is ever going to truly dominate in Colorado, with the exception of the occasional guy who has a lucky good season. Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
A good reason to load up on a ton of top tier relief pitchers. Although I'm not sure if it will really make any difference.

No starter is ever going to truly dominate in Colorado, with the exception of the occasional guy who has a lucky good season. Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?

The Rockies are one of four teams (Marlins, Rangers, Reds, and Rockies) that have not had a Cy Young Award winner.

Even if you load up the pen though those guys can't pitch every day. Honestly Colorado would be the perfect place to try out the piggyback rotation idea that several teams have kicked around but never committed to full time.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Rockies are one of four teams (Marlins, Rangers, Reds, and Rockies) that have not had a Cy Young Award winner.

Even if you load up the pen though those guys can't pitch every day. Honestly Colorado would be the perfect place to try out the piggyback rotation idea that several teams have kicked around but never committed to full time.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you.

On another note, I'm a little surprised to hear that the Reds have never had a Cy Young winner, as they have been around since before the first Cy Young award was handed out.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah, I don't disagree with you.

On another note, I'm a little surprised to hear that the Reds have never had a Cy Young winner, as they have been around since before the first Cy Young award was handed out.

I didn't expect to see the Reds on there either but then I had a hard time coming up with great pitchers from their history other than Tom Seaver at the end of his career. They've had some pitchers have great individual seasons but never put together the kind of runs it takes to win Cy Youngs.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I didn't expect to see the Reds on there either but then I had a hard time coming up with great pitchers from their history other than Tom Seaver at the end of his career. They've had some pitchers have great individual seasons but never put together the kind of runs it takes to win Cy Youngs.

I really couldn't either so I had to look up their top 10 WAR & ERA leaders. Only 2 of their top 10 WAR leaders were pitching since the creation of the Cy Young award (all were under the 50 WAR mark) & their top post-Cy Young WAR leader was Jose Rijo. Certainly a good pitcher during his time, finished 4th & 5th in Cy Young a couple seasons but he was never a pitcher you'd consider among the best. The other one was Jim Maloney and I was surprised to see how good of a pitcher he was from '63-'66. He finished each season with an ERA under 3, 200+ IP & 200+ strikeouts. In my mind these were Cy Young *caliber* seasons. Unfortunately for him, during this era only one pitcher was awarded the Cy Young (not for each league) and their was another pitcher around named Sandy Koufax.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Has any Rockies pitcher ever won a Cy Young award before (while pitching for Colorado)?

Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. He had a fantastic year, including a no-hitter. I felt he deserved more recognition for that year's performance; the way that everyone wants to discount Rockies hitters' stats because they play in Coors, they should have been bumping Jimenez up because he patched half of that year's games in Coors. Oh well.

On a side note, thanks for the little Aubrey Plaza gif in your sig, which I find pleasant to look at. I ran into her at the Denver airport a couple years ago, and she looked GOOOOOOOOD in person, too.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. He had a fantastic year, including a no-hitter. I felt he deserved more recognition for that year's performance; the way that everyone wants to discount Rockies hitters' stats because they play in Coors, they should have been bumping Jimenez up because he patched half of that year's games in Coors. Oh well.

On a side note, thanks for the little Aubrey Plaza gif in your sig, which I find pleasant to look at. I ran into her at the Denver airport a couple years ago, and she looked GOOOOOOOOD in person, too.

Ubaldo's career went in the pooper after that season as well when Tulo and Cargo were given huge contracts and he got nothing. Jimenez went all baby on the Rockies so they traded him and he has never been even close to what he was in 2010.

Members online