Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you ever just see a card or item outside of your norm and decide you need one too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was thinking about this, as one of the more enjoyable reasons that I spend time on these card related boards is to view pictures (and hear about) items others collect. Sometimes the stories add to the experience, but viewing items is the real joy. After all, I can't possible see or know about everything. I used to buy the annual almanac/guides and just read about the new (and old) sets that I had never come across.

I really wish more people would share scans of some of the more unique items that they come across, along with a description of the issue.

Anyway, every so often I will see something that I don't consider to fall into my primary collecting interests, but something about it drives me to want one. It may be how a card or item looks (design), a team represented, a player in a unique setting or a variety of other reasons. I think this happens quite often for me personally, because I have always been a very visual collector. If I look the way something looks, I will want to obtain it.

Here is a recent pick up, although I do collect autographs of just about any variety, so this is not a perfect example. I had Vizquel numerous times, but I guess I never realized he played for the Blue Jays! I saw it and along with a nice design, I felt I needed to have this exact card, although I was not aware of it prior and was not looking for any Vizquel autographs.

This comes from the 2017 Archives issue and is numbered to 15 copies.

s-l1600.jpg

This is a much better example for my collection. I do collect oddball items, but never knew this existed until someone posted one. I just had to have one at that point and was lucky enough to find one, the only one I have ever seen offered for sale, and it was autographed as well. DOUBLE SCORE!!

This is a card that was apparently issued if you joined the Bubblicious Baseball club around 1987-88.

Unknown.jpeg

Treat us to some items that we might not have ever seen before that you just had to own after seeing them for the first time.

Last edited:

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
It was my favorite moment from the 2009 World Series. I have a few copies of the Heritage card, but wanted an autographed copy. I started searching and this came up and I had to have it.

s-l1600.jpg

Scott F

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I had basically lost all interest in Jersey/bat/relic cards until I saw these things. They are kind of ridiculous but I had to have one. Then two, then three...
483e2aa550245ae44dd574dd21b7f956.jpg
fb04cf9a218a2a8af51a1af1d0d23ee9.jpg
8c1ad558c42635cf0c1ed6fbf95ae825.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't even want to know what those would cost. I would want one if a favorite player was included, but the cost of the added players and the added competition (24 different players on that top one) would make that a frustrating issue to chase. Congrats.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I don't even want to know what those would cost. I would want one if a favorite player was included, but the cost of the added players and the added competition (24 different players on that top one) would make that a frustrating issue to chase. Congrats.

Thanks, it was actually kind of a cheap way to pick up a lot of relic cards at once. The patch versions (like in the Puckett thread) are /10 and much more, but these are /99, and aren't too bad at auction. Unfortunately, most on eBay are listed crazy high despite auction prices. Plus I got very lucky on the bottom one, listed as a BIN/BO for about half what they usually go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I have. the flawless spahn patches were a great example of this for me. I saw the first one and HAD to have it. moved to five star autos of a few select stars as well because the look is great imo.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Big fan of the show, picked this up when first released. Someone made a offer i couldnt refuse had to let it go.

vlPooaz.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just did that myself with a Spahn. I bought this card because I liked the simple design and action shot. Turns out it was my first and only Spahn certified auto. Sometimes you lose track...

s-l225.jpg
I have. the flawless spahn patches were a great example of this for me. I saw the first one and HAD to have it. moved to five star autos of a few select stars as well because the look is great imo.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
i collected these for a while. after looking at the pics i need to dig them out. have no clue where they are but they're here somewhere.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I love finding out about cool card that I had no idea about. I just discover the set below from 2002.
They are numbered to 25 and there are also autographed versions.
Scan_20171218 (2).jpg

Members online

No members online now.