Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Playing catch vs have a catch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I saw a poll on Twitter asking what phrase you use. I grew up always asking my friends if they wanted to play catch but I've heard people use the phrase have a catch. Curious what u used and if it's a regional thing like soda vs. Pop vs. Soda pop etc

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
"Have a catch" sounds wrong somehow, and I agree vaguely British. Like in a pub someone might say,"Let's have a sing" when they want everyone to sing a song.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
If you drink pop you probably play catch, if you drink soda you probably have a catch.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If you drink pop you probably play catch, if you drink soda you probably have a catch.

I won't speak for all of new England, my regional king status isn't yet recognized, but I never heard the term pop until I met someone from the Midwest, and I've never heard someone from these 6 states wanting to have a catch. I grew up in rural Maine and I've lived in pompous coastal CT for over a decade now many differences in the areas but terminology for most things is remarkably similar.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

In Chicago, it’s Play Catch.

Love the movie Field of Dreams except the “Have a Catch” line at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

I live in southern Illinois, and people say soda here. From my experiences people I’ve met from the northern part of the state say pop.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Play catch or “wanna throw” and Coke in the deep south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I visited Georgia a couple years back and when i went into my first restaurant there without thinking asked if they had Coke or Pepsi, the waitress gave me a look I'll never forget and said..."just coke sweetie..." I immediately realized why she thought I was a moron.

I didn't see a Pepsi sign the entire time I was there

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I visited Georgia a couple years back and when i went into my first restaurant there without thinking asked if they had Coke or Pepsi, the waitress gave me a look I'll never forget and said..."just coke sweetie..." I immediately realized why she thought I was a moron.

I didn't see a Pepsi sign the entire time I was there
Cuz that's what them damn Yankees drink?

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I won't speak for all of new England, my regional king status isn't yet recognized, but I never heard the term pop until I met someone from the Midwest, and I've never heard someone from these 6 states wanting to have a catch. I grew up in rural Maine and I've lived in pompous coastal CT for over a decade now many differences in the areas but terminology for most things is remarkably similar.

Ditto from somebody born in NJ and grew up in Maine. I had never heard have a catch until I was a teenager and watched Field of Dreams. I also had never heard pop until I met somebody from Tennessee.

Members online

Latest posts