Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Playing catch vs have a catch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I always assumed "have a catch" is just antiquated, archaic language, not specific to a region. But it does sound awfully Canadian to me, eh?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I always assumed "have a catch" is just antiquated, archaic language, not specific to a region. But it does sound awfully Canadian to me, eh?

I assumed the same. Throw back to our immigrant ancestors. I don’t know about Canadian, more like how in England they say you are “having a laugh”. Edit-see I’m late to that party

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I live in southern Illinois, and people say soda here. From my experiences people I’ve met from the northern part of the state say pop.

Funny because cross that Wisconsin border it’s mostly soda and those who say pop claim it’s because their family came from the south.

But we all agree that it’s bubbler and not drinking fountain

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Bubbler also confused me, my Rhode island neighbors seem to use that one a lot

I only recently found out that apparently “Bubbler” was the name of a specific early water fountain model produced somewhere in this local region and widely installed in this area (so more like “Velcro”, “Band-Aid”, or “Tyme Machine”)

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I heard my great grandparents and those of the generation call refrigerators "Kelvinators" in the early 1990s. Where I'm from in Georgia, everything is "Coke," but if you force someone to hammer down a generalization, they'll typically say soda. Pop and soda pop are a no go.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
There used to be what people called water bubbles in city parks around Massachusetts. Soda fountains were in the drugs stores up until 1970 or so.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
If you drink pop you probably play catch, if you drink soda you probably have a catch.

When I was growing up in West Allis, WI we drank pop and played catch. When I moved to northern Illinois (McHenry, Richmond, Gurnee), everyone still played catch but they made fun of me for saying "pop". Now I say "soda pop".

Additionally, I grew up drinking out of a "bubbler" instead of drinking from a drinking fountain. I think I picked that one up in my grandpa's farm country in northern Wisconsin. I don't remember people in Milwaukee using "bubbler" but they always knew what I was talking about when I used it. But in Illinois nobody knew what the heck that was. I'm guessing the IL/WI border area is like a transition zone for some of those phrases.

"Have a catch" sounds alien to me. It reminds me of the first time I heard my wife (who's from Philly) say she needed to "make a poop". I was like, "you mean take a crap?". And she was like, "No, you MAKE it, not take it." And I was like, "No, your body already made it, now you have to TAKE it to the bathroom to get rid of it."

HAHAHA