Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Very stupid question,but how can I tell if I should get my card graded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It's just about getting experience by sending them in and seeing what they actually grade vs. what you thought they should get. Most first timers greatly over-grade their raw cards, they over look small deficiencies. You'll want to take into account the centering, corners/edges, surface, etc. Some people get a loupe to magnify the surface of the card to get a better view that your eyes can't see.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Can't see a pic but I'm guessing you mean the Wilson Contreras 16 BC auto. To me, that's a tough one to determine centering, but you should look at the centering, and look at the surface with a magnifying glass or loupe. As far as edges, take a close look at the back, as edge issues are usually most evident there. I've never sent a card in for grading, and am certainly no expert, but I agree with Bongo that you shouldn't expect more than a 9, which sometimes even sell for less than raw. So to me it wouldn't be worth the risk, guessing it will probably cost 20 to grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
If you live near a good sized card show, BAGS or PSA may have a setup there where you can ask about it, and they do "raw" reviews that give you a non-slabbed grade for a lesser charge...

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
I am a BGS fan with over a 100 graded McGwire cards so far As mentioned by others centering is a big one corners on anything especially pre 2000 so easy to get hit on most things chrome and such grade out pretty well.Just take a good look and ask your self does it look perfect to you if so expect a 9 or 9.5 out of all of the ones I have sent in I have only gotten 1 10 pristine so far, if it is a Auto check hard for pen lift if there is a bad spot on the Auto it will get a Auto grade of 9.0 or less. automatically. Good luck if you send it and keep us updated.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
How to tell if you should is a simple math question. BGS's cheapest option these days for a single card is $20. I don't see anything on the main price page but they used to charge an additional $2 for an autographed card. Then there is shipping. If you ship to them with delivery confirmation, which I would recommend, that's maybe $3-4. Then they take ten days (business days, but they also take about 3-5 days after they receive it to "log" it in their system and the clock doesn't start till then). They they ship it back to you Fedex, I think, which costs another $15 or more.

So it costs...
+15
====
$40 to get your card graded

These costs can be defrayed and reduced by submitting dozens of cards on a non-guaranteed service, or piggybacking on someone else who is doing a large submission. Or if you are in an area where they'll be doing on-site grading, you can get an RCR and go with that. Cards that RCR 9.5 wouldn't be guaranteed to grade that grade if you sell them, or even if you go ahead and get them slabbed at the show, but they do sell better than raw cards. Most people don't realize the grade is not guaranteed but that's kind of caveat emptor.

In sum, it doesn't seem worth it to grade that card unless it's objectively flawless in every dimension under a high-power loupe, and likely to earn high 9.5 subs or a 10.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
I do agree if it is the only card you want to grade the cost does not make sense. I send 20 or more every time that helps a lot. Right now the non guaranteed has close to a six-month turn around last I heard for BGS. For my next submission I am considering sending in 100 cards my biggest ever all will be hard to get cards Auto's and Gu cards the GU look better slabbed .