Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Year Night Crew Ep. 2018-01

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Yeah teams finally got wise, I think they were going off results in the steroid era where aging in general was less bad.

Hey [MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION], do you think Mike Freak-a-Leake is gonig to win AL CY or what? ? ;)

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah teams finally got wise, I think they were going off results in the steroid era where aging in general was less bad.

Hey [MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION], do you think Mike Freak-a-Leake is gonig to win AL CY or what? ? ;)

There’s a decent chance he has a great season and finishes 43rd in the voting.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
There’s a decent chance he has a great season and finishes 43rd in the voting.

:lol:
I can't believe they traded away someone with that nice of forehead growth (Oneill) he will hit 30hr easy someday. I mean sht, Odor hit 30 last year and he is a bum. If HR totals increase I wonder what a good statline will consist of.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I wonder what the biggest contracts given to pure DHs have been, because thats what he should be. Really really terrible defender.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I wonder what the biggest contracts given to pure DHs have been, because thats what he should be. Really really terrible defender.

Kind of a different situation since he was doing the year to year thing with Boston but David Ortiz was making 16 million a year just a couple years ago.

Mark Trumbo is signed at 3/37.5 million.

E5 got 3/60 million last offseason.

Nellie Cruz got 4/57 million before the 2015 season.

Kendrys Morales got 3/$33 million last offseason.

Hanley Ramirez got 4/$88 million a couple offseasons ago.

Honestly HanRam is probably the closest in talent and age for a comp so I could see JD getting $20+ million a year. I think Boras is nuts if he thinks they're going to get a 10 year contract though for a 30 year old DH.

As an aside:
Not really a good comp, but I guess the granddaddy of them all would be the Pujols contract but they didn't sign that expecting him to DH the whole time. He has 4 years and 114 million left on his deal and he'll be a DH the whole time if he plays it out. As awesome as it was to watch Albert play wearing the Birds on the Bat I'm glad they're not on the hook for that contract.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
think pujols finishes out the 4 years? if give him 2 at most

If he's healthy-ish the next two seasons then I think you're going to see him play it out due to proximity to some pretty amazing career milestone numbers. A few years back I would have argued vehemently (and did) that Albert wouldn't hang around just to accrue stats but these days I'm not so sure.

Unless he gets injured very early in 2018, he'll go over 3K hits and 2K RBIs without much issue this season so check those off the milesone list. Adding 2 years of his projected stats for 2018 puts him within spitting distance of 700 homers, 2,000 runs, 700 doubles, and a couple other kind of milestone stat numbers. He's already in pretty exclusive company but the group that can claim 3,000 hits, 700 home runs, 700 doubles, 2,000 RBIs, and 2,000 Runs is a sample of two. You're talking Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and no one else to actually eclipse those numbers in the entire history of baseball. Alex Rodriguez was 4 HRs short. Bonds was 4 RBI short. You can rightly include them both in that tier of player, but even though 4 RBI or 4 HRs isn't many when you're talking about 700 or 2,000 overall, they still didn't get there. That's pretty crazy company.

Lots of things that were kind of taken for granted 5 years ago (a run at the HR record, a run at the RBI record, etc.) are much less certain or completely implausible now.

Career HR Record:
His chance of catching Bonds has to be less than 1%. He'd have to average 37 home runs a year over the next four seasons to tie him. Not going to happen, probably. I think he passes Ruth but not much more.

Career RBI Leader:
This is the one I think he has a shot at actually. He needs 380 to pass Aaron which is 95 a year. It sounds unreasonable but the Angels are going to put lots of runners on base in front of him. If he's ~healthy it isn't hard for me to see him averaging 120 RBIs in 2018 and 2019. That leaves him needing 140 total in 2 seasons. I think that's manageable, even at 40 and 41 years of age, with the DH and the guys in front of him.

Personally I'd love to see him retire right now and walk away with, at least the public perception of, his dignity intact. Either that or play two more years and retire with Yadi so they can go into the Hall of Fame together.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Here’s Pujols contract details.

I think he’s going to stick it out.

He has the 10 year personal service contract that kicks in when he retires, or when his contract expires.

I am assuming the Cardinals will give him a statue and retire his number. I wonder if they’ll wait for that 10 year post-playing career contract to run its course before doing so?

a16a1a46efef4f12622c1ceaf4798feb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Here’s Pujols contract details.

I think he’s going to stick it out.

He has the 10 year personal service contract that kicks in when he retires, or when his contract expires.

I am assuming the Cardinals will give him a statue and retire his number. I wonder if they’ll wait for that 10 year post-playing career contract to run its course before doing so?

a16a1a46efef4f12622c1ceaf4798feb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The only contract kicker he's reasonably likely to trigger on that list is the 3,000 hits bonus and that will happen this season barring injury. I guess there could be a swan song All Star nod or something but not likely.

He'll be a Hall of Famer so the statue and number retirement for the Cardinals is a foregone conclusion, unless he's the only Hall of Fame elected player who spent more than 10 years with the Cards that doesn't get those two accolades. I don't see the Cardinals doing that so he'll get a statue and his number on the wall. Don't know about how the Personal Services contract affects accolades from other teams specifically. Guess it would depend on wording.

Obviously walking away from $58 million those last two years would be a huge reason to stay but teams normally negotiate some kind of settlement on years given up to retirement anyway so the blow might not be as harsh as we think. I still think it will be more about numbers on the field than numbers in the bank account but you never know. $58 million is a lot of charity work.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Whats up goobers? Been a really nasty day here. Lots and lots and lots of rain and thunder. Hit up the LCS today and hit pretty big on a few nice cards. Nothing like a little card therapy to pass a dreary day.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Whats new gents?

I took some practice swings (just finding new ways to stretch the spine) with my old bat today... I realized it had been about 10 years since Ive actually swung one. :idea: time flies.

I am thinking about doing a big international tourney in a few months but would probably need to sell off some cards for the $$$. Kinda awkward time of year to sell (out of baseball season and all) .. haven't decided yet.

...and having a little wine, but nothing to rowdy will happen, fingers crossed ;)

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
man, it is deader than Kenny around here lately. whats up?

I am getting good work done and thinking of selling of my Whitey Ford Fleer auto, those older players are just too ahead of my young time to connect with somehow so maybe another fan would appreciate it better than I.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
man, it is deader than Kenny around here lately. whats up?

I am getting good work done and thinking of selling of my Whitey Ford Fleer auto, those older players are just too ahead of my young time to connect with somehow so maybe another fan would appreciate it better than I.

I always thought the same thing about the older players. I still have a hard time with 70-80's stars but the historical names before that I've really taken a liking to. Hence my HOF PC. whichever you choose to do, best of luck. and young?

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
NIGHT CREW

Apparently my wife and I have been under-withholding on our taxes. Wasn't intentional, just happened...

I claim 2 exemptions, my wife claims 1. We have a son, and file as married/joint. I guess that's somehow incorrect.

Popped our W-2s into TurboTax last night... ouch, to the tune of $6600. I don't have my 1098 from my mortgage servicer yet, but I'm hoping the interest will knock down the tax bill a little.

If it still ends up being around $6k, I won't have any card $$ til May.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Night owls, what's crackin!? Not much here, watching old episodes of Archer and looking through eBay listings. Had a leaky pipe fixed in my house this week, first time in the 7+ years I've been in my house i might need to use my homeowner's insurance.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
What up stanny stan? Just sittin here getting warm on another cold night in the hood. Had a little snow action last night. We got maybe an inch or so....but it was coldddddd. Getting things in order to burn my parents house down this weekend. Lots of planning goes into that.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I"m trying to find a better way to grow the Night Crew on here. I am thinking that maybe we do a month long thread kinda like this one and just keep posting in it until the next month rolls around. What do you guys think about that? I mean, some days when we do it daily, we might only get one or two responses. I would think our conversations would be more relevant if we run it monthly so we can kinda rehash everything from the last couple of days instead of trying to find that days individual thread. Thoughts?