Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Year Night Crew Ep. 2018-01

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Yu Darvish has a "mystery team" interested in him now Someone is about to get taken to Shillville

are players hiring Probstein to be their agent?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s going to be a lot of unsigned free agents headed into Spring Training.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many will end up in Japan or Korean leagues.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just realized... is this guy holding a Dick Pole RC?

looks like he spent all his money on the fine suit and not getting his Pole card slabbed... what a douche.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ESPN had a decent article that the mid-range free agent is going to be squeezed the most to take less money or sign late. I'm sure some will play elsewhere or some will stick it out and sign after spring injuries start.
    I think WAR and the luxury tax play the biggest role. Why sign a mid-level guy to 10mil a year with a war of 1 when you can roll the dice on a young kid who might do about the same for 500k. Teams still spend tons of cash but think smarter.
    The parallel to the economy as a whole is almost comically evident. The rich get richer, the poor lose out and the middle gets forced into their position.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah teams finally got wise, I think they were going off results in the steroid era where aging in general was less bad.

Hey @Super Mario, do you think Mike Freak-a-Leake is gonig to win AL CY or what? ?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    Yeah teams finally got wise, I think they were going off results in the steroid era where aging in general was less bad.

Hey @Super Mario, do you think Mike Freak-a-Leake is gonig to win AL CY or what? ?
    There’s a decent chance he has a great season and finishes 43rd in the voting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    There’s a decent chance he has a great season and finishes 43rd in the voting.

I can't believe they traded away someone with that nice of forehead growth (Oneill) he will hit 30hr easy someday. I mean sht, Odor hit 30 last year and he is a bum. If HR totals increase I wonder what a good statline will consist of.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m proud of teams for not giving into these agents demands.

There’s no way JD Martinez should make 200 million dollars.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the biggest contracts given to pure DHs have been, because thats what he should be. Really really terrible defender.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    I wonder what the biggest contracts given to pure DHs have been, because thats what he should be. Really really terrible defender.
    Kind of a different situation since he was doing the year to year thing with Boston but David Ortiz was making 16 million a year just a couple years ago.

Mark Trumbo is signed at 3/37.5 million.

E5 got 3/60 million last offseason.

Nellie Cruz got 4/57 million before the 2015 season.

Kendrys Morales got 3/$33 million last offseason.

Hanley Ramirez got 4/$88 million a couple offseasons ago.

Honestly HanRam is probably the closest in talent and age for a comp so I could see JD getting $20+ million a year. I think Boras is nuts if he thinks they're going to get a 10 year contract though for a 30 year old DH.

As an aside:
    Not really a good comp, but I guess the granddaddy of them all would be the Pujols contract but they didn't sign that expecting him to DH the whole time. He has 4 years and 114 million left on his deal and he'll be a DH the whole time if he plays it out. As awesome as it was to watch Albert play wearing the Birds on the Bat I'm glad they're not on the hook for that contract.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    think pujols finishes out the 4 years? if give him 2 at most
    **looking for Sweet spot, game ball and sweet sigs autos off my needs list.**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    think pujols finishes out the 4 years? if give him 2 at most
    If he's healthy-ish the next two seasons then I think you're going to see him play it out due to proximity to some pretty amazing career milestone numbers. A few years back I would have argued vehemently (and did) that Albert wouldn't hang around just to accrue stats but these days I'm not so sure.

Unless he gets injured very early in 2018, he'll go over 3K hits and 2K RBIs without much issue this season so check those off the milesone list. Adding 2 years of his projected stats for 2018 puts him within spitting distance of 700 homers, 2,000 runs, 700 doubles, and a couple other kind of milestone stat numbers. He's already in pretty exclusive company but the group that can claim 3,000 hits, 700 home runs, 700 doubles, 2,000 RBIs, and 2,000 Runs is a sample of two. You're talking Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and no one else to actually eclipse those numbers in the entire history of baseball. Alex Rodriguez was 4 HRs short. Bonds was 4 RBI short. You can rightly include them both in that tier of player, but even though 4 RBI or 4 HRs isn't many when you're talking about 700 or 2,000 overall, they still didn't get there. That's pretty crazy company.

Lots of things that were kind of taken for granted 5 years ago (a run at the HR record, a run at the RBI record, etc.) are much less certain or completely implausible now.

Career HR Record:
    His chance of catching Bonds has to be less than 1%. He'd have to average 37 home runs a year over the next four seasons to tie him. Not going to happen, probably. I think he passes Ruth but not much more.

Career RBI Leader:
    This is the one I think he has a shot at actually. He needs 380 to pass Aaron which is 95 a year. It sounds unreasonable but the Angels are going to put lots of runners on base in front of him. If he's ~healthy it isn't hard for me to see him averaging 120 RBIs in 2018 and 2019. That leaves him needing 140 total in 2 seasons. I think that's manageable, even at 40 and 41 years of age, with the DH and the guys in front of him.

Personally I'd love to see him retire right now and walk away with, at least the public perception of, his dignity intact. Either that or play two more years and retire with Yadi so they can go into the Hall of Fame together.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 01-11-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s Pujols contract details.

I think he’s going to stick it out.

He has the 10 year personal service contract that kicks in when he retires, or when his contract expires.

I am assuming the Cardinals will give him a statue and retire his number. I wonder if they’ll wait for that 10 year post-playing career contract to run its course before doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Here’s Pujols contract details.

I think he’s going to stick it out.

He has the 10 year personal service contract that kicks in when he retires, or when his contract expires.

I am assuming the Cardinals will give him a statue and retire his number. I wonder if they’ll wait for that 10 year post-playing career contract to run its course before doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    The only contract kicker he's reasonably likely to trigger on that list is the 3,000 hits bonus and that will happen this season barring injury. I guess there could be a swan song All Star nod or something but not likely.

He'll be a Hall of Famer so the statue and number retirement for the Cardinals is a foregone conclusion, unless he's the only Hall of Fame elected player who spent more than 10 years with the Cards that doesn't get those two accolades. I don't see the Cardinals doing that so he'll get a statue and his number on the wall. Don't know about how the Personal Services contract affects accolades from other teams specifically. Guess it would depend on wording.

Obviously walking away from $58 million those last two years would be a huge reason to stay but teams normally negotiate some kind of settlement on years given up to retirement anyway so the blow might not be as harsh as we think. I still think it will be more about numbers on the field than numbers in the bank account but you never know. $58 million is a lot of charity work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast