Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TOPPS SIGNS SHOHEI OHTANI TO LONG-TERM AUTOGRAPH DEAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Very pleased about this; sure hope he'll have autos in 2018 Bowman.

Ohtani's First Pack-Pulled Rookie Card Will Arrive in Time for Spring Training

Baseball fans looking to collect the rookie cards of Japanese baseball star Shohei Ohtani won’t have to wait long. The Topps Company, the exclusive trading card partner of Major League Baseball, is proud to announce it has signed Ohtani to a trading card and long-term autograph deal for the upcoming MLB season.

His first pack-pulled trading card will appear in late spring, just in time for Ohtani to join the Los Angeles Angels in Spring Training. His cards will be featured in Topps® products throughout the year, including cards that will be autographed by the 23-year-old star.

“Getting a deal with Shohei Ohtani was a priority for us because we want the best for our Topps fans,” said David Leiner, Topps Global General Manager, Sports & Entertainment. “Ohtani is a dynamic two-way player who has gained a lot of attention because of his incredible talent. We are thrilled to offer his trading cards and autographed cards to baseball fans.”

Ohtani was a much sought after player from Japan. While he is known for his pitching – he had 624 strikeouts in 543 career innings in the Japan Pacific League – he is also quite the hitter, which made him a hot commodity this offseason. Over the last two seasons in the JPPL, Ohtani hit .322 with 30 home runs and 98 RBI in 169 games.

Ohtani will have some of the most highly coveted baseball cards and collectibles on the market in 2018, and Topps is the only place where baseball enthusiasts will be able to get his officially licensed MLB trading cards. His signing was featured on a TOPPS NOW card, which set a record of 17,323 cards sold in just 24 hours.

“He’s an incredible talent that transcends baseball and we’re exciting for him to join a long list of great baseball players who have Topps rookie cards,” Leiner added.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I can just imagine what they will sell for..

Base - $150
Refractor - $300
Blue - $500
Green - $600
Gold - $1500
Orange - $5,000
Red - $10,000
Super - $25,000

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I can just imagine what they will sell for..

Base - $150
Refractor - $300
Blue - $500
Green - $600
Gold - $1500
Orange - $5,000
Red - $10,000
Super - $25,000
One thing Topps hasn't disclosed is a list of parallels for Bowman on the sell sheets this year. Not happy about that at all. They want us to assume the usual colors will be in it, but I'm cautious, and for that reason I haven't bought any cases yet.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
So glad I didn't buy my usual BDP and decided to double up on 2018 Bowman instead.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
has anyone confirmed the first product? If it's in time for Spring Training, I'm guessing that means Topps Series 1 is the first product with Ohtani.

As for autos, 2018 Donruss claims to have them too so I bet Panini got a few sigs before Ohtani locked up a deal with Topps.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't like exclusives, but I'm glad Topps got him so his autographs won't be limited to an unlicensed company with no logos.