Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: How to Display Slabbed Cards in an Album?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Display Slabbed Cards in an Album?

I did a little Google research, and there doesn't seem to be much info out there - must not be very popular. But I really prefer to store my cards in albums.

Does anyone have any info on how to do this?

This guy says he just uses 4-pocket ultra pro sheets which surprised me that would even work. Seems like it would be too flimsy and potentially slip right out.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=574006

But this looks really intriguing for higher-end slabs - appears they only exist for coin slabs?

http://www.jpscorner.com/coin-slab-albums.html

Any ideas?
    1998 Tek Diffractor Wantlist - Grace & Sosa
    1998 Tek Jay Buhner Wantlist - 41 and 57
    1998 Tek Griffey Wantlist - 1, 4, 19, 23, 27, 49, 53, 66, 72, 86
    Complete Want lists HERE

Collecting 1997 Score Reserve Collection and 2014 Tek non-auto rarities

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some of the Ultra Pro 4 pockets at the house. They're heavier plastic than the normal 9 pocket sheet and seem stiffer. I never thought about throwing slabbed cards in them but I could try it tonight and let you know how it goes. I use them primarily to store 3x5, 4x6, uncut proofs, and other oddball size issues.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    I have some of the Ultra Pro 4 pockets at the house. They're heavier plastic than the normal 9 pocket sheet and seem stiffer. I never thought about throwing slabbed cards in them but I could try it tonight and let you know how it goes. I use them primarily to store 3x5, 4x6, uncut proofs, and other oddball size issues.
    Please do - thank you!
    Complete Want lists HERE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for something similar to this but didn't have much luck.

Another question I had was are there pages designed to hold cards in toploaders?
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGreerFan View Post
    Please do - thank you!
    Be later this evening but I'll try to post some pics for you. I don't know why I never thought of it but I think it would actually work pretty well. The slabs are heavy enough I don't think you could just throw the albums around without issue but who does that anyway.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my slabbed cards copied on glossy index thickness paper at the copy center. I then can store that in my album and put the slabbed card in a box.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0110182118.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	76012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0110182119.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	76011

The 4 pockets I have are actually BCW and they're pretty stiff. I think the Ultra Pros, if they're more flexible, would actually work better.

PSA and BGS slabs fit pretty well, either in a team bag or out. SGC slabs are too tall and too thick to really fit well, at least in the sleeves I have on hand.

Solely for display and viewing purposes at home, I think it could work. I do have some concerns that the weight of the slabs would end up stretching the sheets as the binders sat on the shelf unless you laid them flat. They aren't snug in the sheets like a raw card in a nine pocket is so turning the page requires you to be more careful or they will come partially out.

Unless you somehow secured the slabs (tape or something else) then I don't see it working well with the binders for travel.

All in all I think @dano7 may be on to something. You'd probably save quite a bit of room (2 sheets of 4 slabs took up most of a 1/2" binder), as well as the occasional headache from a slabbed card sliding out and going flying, if you did the scan and store method he uses. I think the slabs actually look really cool in the binder but I'm not sure it would be worth the headache to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0110182118.jpg  
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 01-10-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post

Name:	0110182118.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	76012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0110182119.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	870.0 KB 
ID:	76011

The 4 pockets I have are actually BCW and they're pretty stiff. I think the Ultra Pros, if they're more flexible, would actually work better.

PSA and BGS slabs fit pretty well, either in a team bag or out. SGC slabs are too tall and too thick to really fit well, at least in the sleeves I have on hand.

Solely for display and viewing purposes at home, I think it could work. I do have some concerns that the weight of the slabs would end up stretching the sheets as the binders sat on the shelf unless you laid them flat. They aren't snug in the sheets like a raw card in a nine pocket is so turning the page requires you to be more careful or they will come partially out.

Unless you somehow secured the slabs (tape or something else) then I don't see it working well with the binders for travel.

All in all I think @dano7 may be on to something. You'd probably save quite a bit of room (2 sheets of 4 slabs took up most of a 1/2" binder), as well as the occasional headache from a slabbed card sliding out and going flying, if you did the scan and store method he uses. I think the slabs actually look really cool in the binder but I'm not sure it would be worth the headache to me.
    Thank you! Since I already store mine flat and it's for my own viewing pleasure, I might do it. Still wish they had those awesome cases like they do for coins. Those are awesome.
    Complete Want lists HERE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it does you any good now unless you can find some old stock but Ultra Pro used to make these.

Name:	ultrapro.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	76041

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian46256qqv View Post
    Not that it does you any good now unless you can find some old stock but Ultra Pro used to make these.

Looks like the people who loved them will pay a lot for them. I just looked at a few ended listings and WOW. Thank you for finding this... very interesting.
    Complete Want lists HERE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian46256qqv View Post

Interesting. Wonder if the LCS would have any stashed somewhere. It doesn't seem like they ever get rid of anything.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use these also, they are flimsy and do have to be careful not to turn upside down or else they can fall out.
    But it displays them nice, would love to hear other ways to display graded stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jszczech View Post
    I was looking for something similar to this but didn't have much luck.

Another question I had was are there pages designed to hold cards in toploaders?
    I've searched these out as well to no avail. Looking for 9 pocket pages designed to hold toploaders. Found a seller with 6 pocket pages. Fairly expensive.

If you are familiar with the Perfect Fit sleeves, they are looking at adding a line of pages to hold toploaders. Hopefully they are able to do it. I would love it.

I have all my stuff in toploaders with the Perfect Fit sleeves. Right now just in BCW boxes, but only the "graded card" boxes have wide enough rows to hold the sleeved toploaders. I can store sleeved toploaders in the 3 row boxes, but the middle row is too narrow for them.