User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: HOF '18 Results (43%)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    I don't have any issues with what the Astros did. They were well within the system and their choice was pretty well remain a middle of the pack team with a bad payroll or blow it all up and hope for draft picks to pan out and give them a 5-6 year window. It worked but it doesn't always.
    You're absolutely right, but I do think there should be a rule against pocketing the "welfare" money you get from being a bad team. I'd be fine with the money, if not used, going back into a pool of sorts. As a Yankee fan I know all about people getting mad at a team even though they're still within the rules. I'm just glad I was born a Yankee fan where my team gets hated because they do too much, rather than not enough.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Looking at the results every year, I'm amazed at the lack of support some people get. Not that I think Damon or Santana or Moyer should be elected, but that not even 1 in 20 people voted for them is always surprising.

The other thing that always surprises me is the names that are newly eligible. I could swear it was like two years ago that people were celebrating Moyer being the oldest pitcher to do whatever he did. But no, it was 2012. Same with Carlos Lee or Aubrey Huff. I could swear I was JUST WATCHING THEM. On the other hand, Kevin Millwood is a name that evokes the same feeling of temporal distance that someone like Billy Pierce or Bobby Schantz does. He ONLY retired 5 years ago?
    The HOF is filled with guys like Johhny Damon and Johan Santana. If they were voted in I don't think either one of them would be a worse selection than Jack Morris.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgerelli View Post
    You're absolutely right, but I do think there should be a rule against pocketing the "welfare" money you get from being a bad team. I'd be fine with the money, if not used, going back into a pool of sorts. As a Yankee fan I know all about people getting mad at a team even though they're still within the rules. I'm just glad I was born a Yankee fan where my team gets hated because they do too much, rather than not enough.

Scott F
    I don't have a problem with the Yankees spending into oblivion either. It works out just about as well normally as tanking. It buys you a window and that is it.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910