Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF '18 Results (43%)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
what the hell are you talking about?! I was making an observation about Andruw. Obviously have something against me. I dont care about you one way or the other but don't let the door hit ya in the ass.
a post before mine stated something about Shilling having an attitude. Me calling Andruw lazy or taking things for granted is the same. I didnt tell anyone they were wrong, stupid or unworthy of posting an opinion on an online forum. hope you have a good rest of the weekend.

Neither did i

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
So far we are at 42.9% ballots posted and players seem to be falling into a few categories:

I'm curious what the source of this info is. All I can find are the ballot names and the date of the announcement which I thought was the first time you could see the voting results. I don't see where you can follow along with vote counts as the ballots are sent in and tabulated.

Is this a simulated HOF ballot vote you are posting?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm curious what the source of this info is. All I can find are the ballot names and the date of the announcement which I thought was the first time you could see the voting results. I don't see where you can follow along with vote counts as the ballots are sent in and tabulated.

Is this a simulated HOF ballot vote you are posting?

I think this is where he is getting the info...

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Yep, that is the page! I just clean it up a bit into a few categories, as its a bit overstimulating for me... I only track the guys close to 75% (succeeding) or 5% (off the ballot) most of these guys at 25 to 40% are in purgatory.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I know people don't like Schilling's personality, but I don't understand how he isn't automatic.
Agreed. His post season numbers are almost off the charts. 3 rings plus led Philly to a WS. Tremendous control, his K/BB basically tops amongst all retired SP, better then Pedro and with over 3,000 KS's as previously mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I'm still shocked Smoltz cruised in so easily but Schilling has so much trouble. Schill more accomplished in my book. I'm also a little baffled by Thome being a shoe-in. Yes, 600+ homers, good on base, but was he ever top 2 in his own lineup? I'm hopeful for Martinez cause I'm a Sox fan and I want Papi in.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
As a Sox fan who despises Curt schilling I have changed my stance on him over the past year or two. He was an ace for a long time and he pitched big in big games. I didn't give him a thought for a long time but I think he and Mussina need to go in.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Agreed. His post season numbers are almost off the charts. 3 rings plus led Philly to a WS. Tremendous control, his K/BB basically tops amongst all retired SP, better then Pedro and with over 3,000 KS's as previously mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I'll remember Schilling most by what he did for the D-Backs during the 2001 World Series. Not too shabby during the regular seasons either while sporting the D-Backs uni, finishing runner up to the Cy Young twice. Career with AZ: 3.14 ERA, 2.81 FIP, 10.1 k/9 to just a 1.3 BB/9 rate.

I'm still shocked Smoltz cruised in so easily but Schilling has so much trouble. Schill more accomplished in my book. I'm also a little baffled by Thome being a shoe-in. Yes, 600+ homers, good on base, but was he ever top 2 in his own lineup? I'm hopeful for Martinez cause I'm a Sox fan and I want Papi in.

Even as a Braves fan I feel the same. The two of them (Smoltz & Schilling) finished their careers with a very similar wins total, strikeout total, ERA & FIP but Schilling ended up with the better BB/9, SO/9, K/BB, WHIP & WAR. Yet, Smoltz got in immediately and Schilling is still waiting. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that Smoltz was part of that "big 3" Braves rotation in the 90's/early 00's.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Even as a Braves fan I feel the same. The two of them (Smoltz & Schilling) finished their careers with a very similar wins total, strikeout total, ERA & FIP but Schilling ended up with the better BB/9, SO/9, K/BB, WHIP & WAR. Yet, Smoltz got in immediately and Schilling is still waiting. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that Smoltz was part of that "big 3" Braves rotation in the 90's/early 00's.

I think a lot of writers admire Smoltz for the fact that he was a CY wining starter who suffered a potentially career ending injury then bounced back and went to the bullpen because it was a team need, became the best reliever in baseball, then went back to the rotation and was a very good pitcher again.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I think a lot of writers admire Smoltz for the fact that he was a CY wining starter who suffered a potentially career ending injury then bounced back and went to the bullpen because it was a team need, became the best reliever in baseball, then went back to the rotation and was a very good pitcher again.

I always found it funny about Smoltz was he was a slow starter. The first inning was always trouble for him. once you got past the first 3 inningd and you hadn't gotten to him yet you were pretty much done. THEN he becomes a closer. I'm happy it worked out for him and the teams he was on. loved watching the guy pitch.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I always found it funny about Smoltz was he was a slow starter. The first inning was always trouble for him. once you got past the first 3 inningd and you hadn't gotten to him yet you were pretty much done. THEN he becomes a closer. I'm happy it worked out for him and the teams he was on. loved watching the guy pitch.

His stats don't reflect that at all. He was better the fewer times through the order he'd been, just like about every other SP ever.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
His stats don't reflect that at all. He was better the fewer times through the order he'd been, just like about every other SP ever.

Glavine always seemed to be the slow starter based on my recollection, not Smoltz. Seems Glavine was good to give up a run or 2 in the first and not much after that.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016

I'm sure the fact that he finished his career with 150+ wins & 150+ saves certainly helped his HOF chances of making it in on the first year.

I can't remember how many pitchers have accomplished that milestone but I believe it was a pretty low number.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm sure the fact that he finished his career with 150+ wins & 150+ saves certainly helped his HOF chances of making it in on the first year.

I can't remember how many pitchers have accomplished that milestone but I believe it was a pretty low number.

Just Eck and Smoltz, though Wilhelm, McDaniel and Gordon all pretty close on the win side.

Only guys with 100+ of each

W/S

Eck 197/390
Fingers 114/341
Gossage 124/310
Wilhelm 143/227
Face 104/193
McDaniel 141/172
Tom Gordon 138/158
Smoltz 213/154
Stu Miller 105/154
Dave Giusti 100/145
Bob Stanley 115/132
Ron Kline 114/108
Ron Reed 146/103
Ellis Kinder 102/102
Firpo Marberry 148/101

Only ones with 100+ starts are Eck (361), Gordon (203), Smoltz (481), Giusti (133), Kline (203), Reed (236), Kinder (122), Marberry (187)

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Yep, that is the page! I just clean it up a bit into a few categories, as its a bit overstimulating for me... I only track the guys close to 75% (succeeding) or 5% (off the ballot) most of these guys at 25 to 40% are in purgatory.

I'll post the updated vote totals so that you don't have to put your Sex In The City binge watch on pause.

45.8% of known ballots cast

Likely 1st ballots

Chipper Jones 98.5%
Vlad Guerrero 94.8%
Jim Thome 93.3%

Would make it in if votes were final right now

Edgar Martinez 80.9%
Trevor Hoffman 77.8%

Living on the edge

Mike Mussina 73.2%
Curt Shilling 65.5%
Barry Bonds 64.9%
Roger Clemens 64.9%

Drop outs

Johnny Damon 1.5%
Johan Santana 1.5%

I removed Andruw Jones from the drop outs list because he's actually still on pace to survive. Currently at 6.2% with 12 votes from the first 194 ballots cast. Needs 10 more votes from the (estimated) 232 ballots remaining to be cast. In all likelihood Schilling, Bonds & Clemens won't make it, as they all need over 190 votes to reach the 75% mark.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Glavine always seemed to be the slow starter based on my recollection, not Smoltz. Seems Glavine was good to give up a run or 2 in the first and not much after that.

Not wholly inaccurate. Looks like he was a little bit worse the first time through the order then better the second then fell off a cliff the third and fourth times through.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Schilling is absolutely a hall of famer. He's also a POS as a human being, but that shouldn't be keeping him off ballots.

Scott F

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I'll post the updated vote totals so that you don't have to put your Sex In The City binge watch on pause.

45.8% of known ballots cast

Likely 1st ballots

Chipper Jones 98.5%
Vlad Guerrero 94.8%
Jim Thome 93.3%

Would make it in if votes were final right now

Edgar Martinez 80.9%
Trevor Hoffman 77.8%

Living on the edge

Mike Mussina 73.2%
Curt Shilling 65.5%
Barry Bonds 64.9%
Roger Clemens 64.9%

Drop outs

Johnny Damon 1.5%
Johan Santana 1.5%

I removed Andruw Jones from the drop outs list because he's actually still on pace to survive. Currently at 6.2% with 12 votes from the first 194 ballots cast. Needs 10 more votes from the (estimated) 232 ballots remaining to be cast. In all likelihood Schilling, Bonds & Clemens won't make it, as they all need over 190 votes to reach the 75% mark.

Thanks for the update! With my desktop monitor being from 2002, it's really hard for me to view.

Members online

Latest posts