Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF '18 Results (43%)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
So far we are at 42.9% ballots posted and players seem to be falling into a few categories:

75% needed for election
5% for survival

Locks-
Chipper Jones (1st ballot) 98.4%
Vlad Guerrero 94.5%
Jim Thome (1st ballot) 93.4%

Very Close-
Edgar Martinez 80.8%
Trevor Hoffman 78.0%
Mike Mussina 73.6%

Doubtful-
Curt Shilling 66.5%
Barry Bonds 65.4%
Roger Clemens 65.4%

RIP-
Johnny Damon 1.6%
Johan Santana 1.6%
Andruw Jones 5.5%

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I’m still amazed Edmonds fell off after one chance.

That was a shocker. Nobody added his defense into the equation for some reason.

this ballot is loaded. I'll be happier than a clam as long as edgar stays above that threshold

It will be very very close for him. You really need 80+% halfway through as a lot of the unlisted ballots are the party poopers who vote for 0-2 depending on year. I could have easily made the fringe category just him.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I got some real issues with the HOF voters. Some of these writers are so damn arrogant like they're the highest of baseball genius and us fans are simpletons who could never understand such a complex game. Then there was some DB from Cleveland who only voted for Omar and Thome since they were the only two who played there. And lastly, some voters act as if their vote grants a player immortality, it's a building, for fans, they have to get over themselves....done

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Couple of questions.
1) Is Palmeiro not on the ballot anymore?
2) Just curious what people think is the reasoning to vote for someone one year and not the next. i.e. Peter Gammons with Roger Clemens.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
this ballot is loaded. I'll be happier than a clam as long as edgar stays above that threshold

With thome and chipper on ballet and Hoffman and vlad going in. My opinion is those will be the only 4.

Omar is way more deserving than Edgar so in my opinion those claims will wait maybe forever.

And to the guy that said the hof vote is messed up. You are sooooo right. I have been following this for 25 years. It’s a joke.

Tons of examples such as you gave. Like cal and gwynn at 97+%. Who wouldn’t vote for them. Etc with past players.

Edgar is slightly above Mattingly because of Mattingly years played I never thought he was a hall
Of famer but many people did.

The problem with Edgar is DH obviously and the new players on ballot and soon to be the steroid guys will
Start getting in soon. So Edgar if he ever gets in will be year 8-10 if ever.

This has been fun because I too am always frustrated with this.

So again the top 4 players in the opening sentence will be the only 4 that get in.

Also, Padre fan here, Hoffman not getting in was a joke. but that does give Edgar hope because like Hoffman Best at the new type of player/trade

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Hoffman shouldn't be a Hall of Famer. He wasn't even the best reliever on his own team for half his career.

Vizquel isn't a Hall of Famer either. Loved him as a player but he's short of a Hall of Fame career.

Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was.

Andruw Jones fell into the Edmonds trap. There is absolutely zero reason he shouldn't be inducted with Chipper this year. Instead he's going to fall off the Ballot his first year.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
With thome and chipper on ballet and Hoffman and vlad going in. My opinion is those will be the only 4.

Omar is way more deserving than Edgar so in my opinion those claims will wait maybe forever.

And to the guy that said the hof vote is messed up. You are sooooo right. I have been following this for 25 years. It’s a joke.

Tons of examples such as you gave. Like cal and gwynn at 97+%. Who wouldn’t vote for them. Etc with past players.

Edgar is slightly above Mattingly because of Mattingly years played I never thought he was a hall
Of famer but many people did.

The problem with Edgar is DH obviously and the new players on ballot and soon to be the steroid guys will
Start getting in soon. So Edgar if he ever gets in will be year 8-10 if ever.

This has been fun because I too am always frustrated with this.

So again the top 4 players in the opening sentence will be the only 4 that get in.

Also, Padre fan here, Hoffman not getting in was a joke. but that does give Edgar hope because like Hoffman Best at the new type of player/trade

I'm not trying to start an argument, how do you feel about David Ortiz? many consider him a first ballot HOF.. Yes I'm an edgar fan but he has more games played on defense by over double.. while this.graphic only shows the stats while playing defense Ortiz only wins out in homers and slugging percentage.

Screenshot_20180112-125606.jpg

Screenshot_20180112-130016.jpg

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I just don't get how Andruw Jones is that low. He is an all-time top 10 center fielder, and the greatest defensively by a pretty large margin.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I just don't get how Andruw Jones is that low. He is an all-time top 10 center fielder, and the greatest defensively by a pretty large margin.

I don't understand it either. 400+ HRs, 1200+ Runs, 1200+ RBIs and the best defensive centerfielder of all time by a huge margin. He's the 8th best defensive player of all time regardless of position.

Of course I didn't understand how Edmonds was on so few ballots either.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
Hoffman shouldn't be a Hall of Famer. He wasn't even the best reliever on his own team for half his career.

Vizquel isn't a Hall of Famer either. Loved him as a player but he's short of a Hall of Fame career.

Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was.

Andruw Jones fell into the Edmonds trap. There is absolutely zero reason he shouldn't be inducted with Chipper this year. Instead he's going to fall off the Ballot his first year.

I hope wizard of oz doesn’t mean Ozzie Smith. Omar Vizquel is one of if not the best overall non power hitting shortstop to ever play the game. And if Ozzie Smith is in he is automatic. The Hoffman statement makes no sense especially with no player on his team as you said stated. He is most definitely I hall of famer and if he is not in your opinion then he is not because of specialized position. Which means Edgar is NO WAY a hall of famer. You do know before Marino Hoffman was the leader in saves and although he really is borderline the point of the argument was about Edgar. You can’t have your cake and eat it to. Edgar yes Hoffman no. Ozzie yes Omar no.

You may need to do some more research.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
I'm not trying to start an argument, how do you feel about David Ortiz? many consider him a first ballot HOF.. Yes I'm an edgar fan but he has more games played on defense by over double.. while this.graphic only shows the stats while playing defense Ortiz only wins out in homers and slugging percentage.

View attachment 76066

View attachment 76067

I am strictly AGAINST Ortiz as a hall of famer. That’s a joke as well. I would vote Edgar if big Papi. But probably most people wouldn’t because of home runs. I Loved Edgar as I am a tony gwynn fan but he just doesn’t fit the bill while not playing the field. So your stats make sense although not needed do to the fact I would NEVER do Ortiz is a hall
Of famer but that did just give me more amo on my final opinion that Edgar will never get in. There’s more bites taken from him when Ortiz up.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida

"Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was."

What baseball have you been watching?

Members online

Latest posts