Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Doug Harvey RIP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just saw that Hall of Fame umpire Doug Harvey died this past Saturday. He was 87. I didn't see any mention on any of the card sites as of yet, so wanted to bring it to people's attentions just in case it was missed.

Like most collectors, Umpires are not high on the list of collectible favorites. I remember getting Doug Harvey's rookie card back in 1984, when I bought the Smokey Bear Padres set and Harvey was included. Some may consider this his true rookie, while others may call it an XRC, although it seems just about all of his card appearances were from specialty sets.

When he made the HOF, I finally took notice of the man, as I wanted to add his signature. I went with the Smokey cards and sent a couple off TTM. He remains one of only a small number of players I actually personally wrote to for a signature. He signed both rather quickly and returned them. Although there would be a variety of certified signature cards after his enshrinement, I still favor the TTMs I got. Thank you Mr. Harvey for your generosity and rest in peace.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
His nickname among players was "god" and he was the most respected umpire in the league during the 70's and 80's.

Every time I had seen Mr. Harvey he was incredibly pleasant and cordial and would frequently hand me a game ball if he had worked home plate as he entered the dugout at the end of a game. Great guy and someone in the game of baseball that I had the utmost respect for. Its a sad day for the game but time marches on. He will certainly be missed.

Members online

Latest posts