Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett grading calculus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Hey guys and gals. I haven't been on here in a while, since I posted stuff about possibly starting a small business in modern cards, essentially bowman draft product. I took the advice of more or less buy draft, grade the cards, sell, wash, repeat, and have done pretty well. In the last year however Beckett has gotten rid of the 20 day service and gone basically 1 day, 5 day, 10 day, non guaranteed. I am sitting on two non guaranteed orders at $9 per card for basically 5 months with no end in sight. I was told by my rep at time of submission it was 3 months. I like my rep so I reached out to him and let him know I'm going to PSA b/c he wants $17 for 10 days and that's a 90% increase over $9 for non guaranteed. I can get 15% less for a PSA 10 than a BGS 9.5 on average but if I'm paying $10 less per card that's math I can live with. PSA still guarantees 45 days on 100 cards at $7 a card without having a rep and they do sales now and then for 25 cards at $6 a card or so for finite sets of time turnaround. I'm not a big dealer, probably a couple hundred cards per year, but my rep made no attempt to keep me. Basically told me 10 day submissions take priority so sorry about that. Anyone else been going through this stuff?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
PSA just moved to a new office so they are backed up as well. Not near as bad as Beckett, but it's been taking a couple weeks just to log and most levels have taken almost twice as long to pop. I've never heard them guaranteeing 45 days, that's just an estimate.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I may be crazy but I think over time people crazy about their registries will be looking for (and have a harder time finding) PSA graded modern Rookies. I don’t know why I’m adding that other than I don’t hate your plan but it may be a longer game

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Unfortunately your business model might not work anymore. You want to be quick to market with draft product, but paying $17 per instead of $9 is a huge hit. Assuming you gem the large majority of your cards, the lower price for PSA cards will still eat into your margin severely. Selling the bulk of your pulls raw and grading at a high level of service only the real monsters or top-top-tier names seems like an alternative.

TerryLewis

Dec 27, 2018
Re: Beckett grading calculus
Hey guys and gals. I haven't been on here in a while, since I posted stuff about possibly starting a small business in modern cards, essentially bowman draft product. I took the advice of more or less buy draft, grade the cards, sell, wash, repeat, and have done pretty well. In the last year however Beckett has gotten rid of the 20 day service and gone basically 1 day, 5 day, 10 day, non guaranteed. I am sitting on two non guaranteed orders at $9 per card for basically 5 months with no end in sight. I was told by my rep at time of submission it was 3 months. I like my rep so I reached out to him and let him know I'm going to PSA b/c he wants $17 for 10 days and that's a 90% increase over $9 for non guaranteed. I can get 15% less for a PSA 10 than a BGS 9.5 on average but if I'm paying $10 less per card that's math I can live with. PSA still guarantees 45 days on 100 cards at $7 a card without having a rep and they do sales now and then for 25 cards at $6 a card or so for finite sets of time turnaround. I'm not a big dealer, probably a couple hundred cards per year, but my rep made no attempt to keep me. Basically told me 10 day submissions take priority so sorry about that. Anyone else been going through this stuff?

Hello,

Could you please share your experience in starting business in modern cards? I've been searching for the info and found this topic. What is the best option to start with?

Thanks,
Terry

Members online

No members online now.