Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you get outta the hobby?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too much to add, your choice is your choice.

But I'd wait a while before selling. If the "itch" doesn't come back by say a month into the season, then I'd look to sell. I don't know how extensive your collection is, but I'd wait to sell the really rare, almost-impossible-to-find-again stuff, until last, if you sell them at all...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Anthony. I get where you're coming from. I've had similar feelings, but as a set builder and a borderline neurotic, I can't stop.

My advice to you: Delete the eBay app from your phone and take a month break. See how you feel after that.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I was thinking that maybe my collecting blues might be the fact it's not baseball season. But I do think either way, I'm downsizing a lot

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience it can be liberating as heck to do a major sell off. The hard part for me is to not start collecting new things lol

To be fair, I miss a LOT of cards I used to own but donít really regret selling more than a handful

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that same "oh come on" back in 2014 when they restarted mass producing McGwire rare auto's like they were pez. It killed a lot of the joy of collecting and personally felt like it cheapened the hunt. I started putting limits on what I really wanted. I started with my main collection being everything up to 2013 and when I do go outside I keep it concise like only going after specific runs. I'm a person that needs goals that are attainable too, it's why I never made 1/1's a priority. It's no fun to me to invest tons of energy into impossible feats like collecting every 1/1. I love adding them but they aren't part of my focus. Having long term and short term attainable goals are one of the aspects that keeps it interesting to me. Also helps to have tons of miner goals to still have some goal accomplishments as I go.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 44 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    Ľ View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    Ľ View Full Statistics
    Ľ Need List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I came back to the hobby about a year ago I had to set limits and really fine tune what I wanted to collect. That's why I haven't really started to kick up the Ozzie or Bagwell collections again at this point. I'm not getting rid of what I already have because I spent a good part of my childhood acquiring it all but I'm not actively looking to add to it either. If I see a playing era card here and there I don't have that is cheap enough I add it but I haven't even made a checklist for either guy as of now.

I made a couple of decisions early on about what I wanted:

1) Jeff Frye checklist 100%, not including the 1/1 plates. Not a huge checklist since he retired in 2001 but it's about 170 cards and he's in some of the rough ones like Fleer Starting 9.
    I'm close now. I need 6 more cards. I had about 80% of it before I left the hobby and finding that last 20% has been extremely enjoyable as well as frustrating as hell. Finding a whole bunch of oddball/game used/auto'd stuff along the way has been a bonus.

2) Topps Heritage base set and Allen and Ginter set
    I love vintage cards so these really fit the bill for me to feed my set building neuroses. I love the minis so that's why I add them to the A&G. There are way too many sets out there now to ever try to have everything issued in a single year like I used to do but these two give me plenty of stuff to chase without feeling totally unattainable.

3) Finish off my '90s Cardinals RC collection
    Close again. Once I finish it I'll move on to the 2000s, 2010s, etc.

4) Acquire the HoF RCs I always wanted as a kid and couldn't afford
    Kind of vague but I add RCs as I can.

5) Leave room to pursue something else that I think will be fun, be it cracking boxes to build a set I normally wouldn't (2017 Donruss Optic baseball) or starting an oddball PC like Northeastern State University (my alma mater) athletes who went pro (short list lol). Isn't this why we all collect anyway?
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 01-24-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always good to take a break and re-assess your collection. I took a break a couple years ago for several reasons, mainly money and time. The other was a lack of enthusiasm- as a team collector I started to get bored seeing the same players in every set (same autos, GU etc). Throw in a boatload of parallels and high end products. It just didn't seem fun anymore. My players collections have been idle for a long time- competing for John Olerud high end cards was a losing battle. Too many collectors with deep pockets. I'm definitely not going to get rich selling my collection- I knew that from the start. If you are thinking of liquidating your collection just consider how replaceable some of your cards are. If you decide to get back into collecting down the road some of the cards you sold will never resurface. I'm sure everyone here has taken a break from collecting numerous times.
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I die.
    Eddie

Junior Member KenBoyerCollector's Avatar
     pujolsfaninny
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was like you... and then I decided to downsize, selling and trading off my Cardinal collection. I was collecting all Cardinal refractors, sort of like refractor team sets of all colors while picking up other Cardinal cards here and there. It was the best decision I could have made. Got rid of unwanted cards that really didn't mean anything to me other than they were Cardinals. With all the refractors coming out in every Bowman product and Topps Chrome, it just got out of hand. I now just collect Pujols with a small side collection of 2013 Bowman/Chrome parallels of Carson Kelly and IP Cardinal autos. I would like to leave my two small boys (currently 2 and 1 years old) hopefully a solid collection of a Hall of Famer, including the dozens and dozens of RCs I have of him. I've enjoyed collecting again. I get more satisfaction of getting a Pujols base card I need compared to a red refractor of a prospect that will most likely never pan out. I also like the chase of rare, low numbered Pujols cards.
    PC: Albert Pujols, Carson Kelly, Cardinal IP/TTM, and Cardinal PSA DNA

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenBoyerCollector View Post
    I was like you... and then I decided to downsize, selling and trading off my Cardinal collection. I was collecting all Cardinal refractors, sort of like refractor team sets of all colors while picking up other Cardinal cards here and there. It was the best decision I could have made. Got rid of unwanted cards that really didn't mean anything to me other than they were Cardinals. With all the refractors coming out in every Bowman product and Topps Chrome, it just got out of hand. I now just collect Pujols with a small side collection of 2013 Bowman/Chrome parallels of Carson Kelly and IP Cardinal autos. I would like to leave my two small boys (currently 2 and 1 years old) hopefully a solid collection of a Hall of Famer, including the dozens and dozens of RCs I have of him. I've enjoyed collecting again. I get more satisfaction of getting a Pujols base card I need compared to a red refractor of a prospect that will most likely never pan out. I also like the chase of rare, low numbered Pujols cards.
    My daughter is one of the reasons I collect who I do. We've met some pretty decent players and I hope she grows up and still likes going to games. By the end of last year she knew where we were going about a mile away lol. She'd start saying "ball, ball, ball." She's also the reason I thought of getting more investment type cards that over time should be pretty valuable.

Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that this thread started because I've found myself going less and less to ebay. I noticed it when I noticed that my normal ebay bucks amount was over 100 dollars every single time...this last period I barely got to 30 dollars.

I'm thinking i'll go back to just collecting slabbed HOF/Star autos and auto'ed balls...I love these types of pieces and are the parts of my collection I actually look at.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, considering I haven't posted here in 6 years... I mostly did.

I was spending WAY too much money chasing sets like Heritage and constantly going for the big hit. That stopped a few years ago. Now, it's essentially one jumbo box of Topps 1, one jumbo box of Topps 2, and one jumbo box of Topps Update. I'll occasionally buy some other packs if I see things at Target that look interesting. I've knocked my spending down to under $500/year.

My issue is that I have two large stacks of 5000 and 3200 count boxes in my closet that my wife hates because they take up a lot of room. I have ~15 boxes of cards in top loaders, and every Topps set from 1977 on in the bottom of the linen closet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collecting

We all know that people collect for all sorts of reason. I really donít consider myself a baseball card collector since I only collect Brooks Robinson cards from his playing days. I do collect all types of other memorabilia of his as well. I also pick up Orioles displayable items that are not necessary related to my PC player, but to make for a nice display. It doesnít really get old to me since Iím collecting a player that was my hero growing up and still just a great all around human being. Itís just a hobby to me and I really donít sell, just collect and trade or give away stuff on occasion. If I needed the money for my family or close friends Iíd sell and wouldnít even hesitate. It hasnít always been that way, but itís been like that for at least 10 years or so. Iíll bid or buy with what I think itís worth and if I come up short oh well. If it wasnít fun anymore Iíd get out of the hobby, but that hasnít been the case.

Iím with some of the others and just take a break prior to selling unless you really need the money.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ebbed and flowed. Even in my super down times I search for the white whales I've been on the hunt for for years.

I have so many little projects going that I will never end them all. Very enjoyable to me and even if I take a break from a project, once I get back into it I feel that fire again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    I've been doing some thinking and I'm really considering leaving the hobby. I have had a big drop off of interest for various reasons.
    1. I use to set build but with all the SPs, variations and SSPs getting so expensive I stopped.
    2. Most of the players I collect have got too expensive.
    3. There seems to be a new release every week so there's just too many cards to chase.
    4. Maybe with there being more info...EVERYONE is buying prospects and prices are nuts. I've tried buying bowman autos of players I've met with my daughter and the prices have seemed to get outta hand.
    5. I fear a market crash. I don't really collect to make a profit but with that being said, I don't buy a card for $15 thinking it's cool if it's worthless soon. I know the economy is chugging along with no end in sight but I'm old enough to remember everything crashing seemingly overnight.

I'd appreciate opinions and I'd really like to hear about people who have felt the same way. I won't ever stop watching and loving baseball but I could see myself selling what I have and finding a new hobby.

I got out when my card collecting budget became diapers and daycare budget for my then newborn, now 4 1/2 year old. I am relegated to a couple boxes a year now... usually birthday and the holidays. My son expresses interest in my cards, but he is too young for me to give him anything but commons obviously.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast