Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you get outta the hobby?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be soon. It is to the point where most cards I need are $100+. I quit last year for about 3 months then 2017 Topps Archives Signature Series came out

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the good ole "I'm getting out" thread. If I had a dollar for every time I have discussed this, I would be a very rich dude. Like Boyz 2 Men said, "Its hard to say goodbye". This hobby is no longer like a light switch. You can't just turn it off and walk away from the darkness. I think so many of us are tied into this hobby via social media. So many forums like FCB, so many fan pages on facebook. So many videos on youtube. All of those factors get coupled together and its like a spiders web and we are the little fly that can't seem to get away from all that webbing.

I have contemplated it many times but alas, I watch some damn video on youtube and someone pulls a player's card that I really like or a few cards from a set that catches my eye and BOOM. I'm hooked again. I think I would have to disconnect from all avenues of social media and not make any trips near the local cardshops for an extended period of time to actually break away from the hobby. I'm like many others on here who have commented. I think the companies are pumping out WAAAAAY too many products these days. Its hard for one particular product to gain traction and stand on its own until another "better than ever" product is being stocked on shelves. Yes, the iconic products like Topps, Heritage, Chrome, Draft, and the like will always have their special standing in the hobby, but even they are being threatened by new releases that taunt us as collectors. I see so many similarities in each new release. Manufacturers aren't being pushed to make unique products anymore. It all runs together and just ends up being a big ole mess.

I have really tried to slow down and limit myself this past year on what I opened and what I collected. I have tried to go back and start a collection of cards that were perhaps once an iconic card. Players that were once revered but have since been forgotten or the cards have lost their luster. A few examples would be a 1992 Leaf Gold Rookies David Nied, a Frank Thomas 92 Fleer Ultra AllStars (that black marble finish on the cards made them jump out of packs) or a 1993 SP Platinum Power Ken Griffey, Jr. Die Cut. They may not be expensive, but the nostalgia and memories that they bring back to a simpler time in my collecting history make them priceless.

Sure, I'll still chase the Chromey Chrome Super Duper Tantalizinglyfractor autograph of the next up and coming can't miss prospect, or I'll try to get a Kris Bryant or Mike Trout auto relic, but I know that it's not my niche. I'm a wax hound and I love the thrill of the rip. I'll hit some decent stuff but I'll whiff more often. I'm just not doing it as much anymore. Oh hell, here comes 2018 Topps Series 1.....gotta go put on my bib and get ready to drool over the crazy hits that I "see on the forums" or that are pulled in another "AMAZING MUST SEE CASE BREAK! AMAZEBALLS!".

Keep your head, up, your wallet close, make some solid decisions and refine your collection to meet your needs. Hang in there bud.
    I collect lots of things. Things that catch my eye. If you got what I need, please let me know

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began collecting like many at a very young age (5/6). I began limiting my collection focus to Barry Bonds in 1998. Back then I could only afford the base and low level inserts. As of the last 5-6 years, I've been able to pick up many of the rarer, limited issues. Thankfully Bonds isn't in too many newer products and I don't make post-career issues a priority. When the market for Bonds cards I need dries up, I work on other side projects like my 1971 set. Collecting is in my blood. I'll always be a collector in some fashion. As my collection becomes more complete, I should need less funds to dedicate towards it. If I got to the point where I felt I wanted out of the hobby, I would give myself a period of time to contemplate my decision and wouldn't less the extremely rare issues towards the end of my sales like another commenter said.
    Barry Bonds PC 5,000+ different and counting! Check out my Barry Bonds Collection on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/weight333

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad this thread got a bump. I'm relieved to hear how many others had gone through a similar situation

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually cancelled my 2018 Heritage case orders. 2017 was and is the last year I will be opening sport cards. Below is a post I made on another forum a little while ago. Some of you probably have already read this.

Well, 2017 was my last year for the hobby. Having been in the hobby since 1975, I have seen quite a lot in the hobby over the years.

I mostly picked up grocery racks back in the 70's begging my mom to spend the $.49 for each rack at the A&P grocery store. The 1975 Boston Redsox got me hooked at age 9 by having such a diverse and fun team. With players Yaz and Luis Tiant being my 2 favorite players from the team. Didn't understand at the time how fun a team it was with Rice and Lynn's historic rookie seasons. Yeah, they lost the World Series, but that team got me in the hobby.

I bought my first "hobby" box back in 1979 at age 13 thanks to my paper route and continued buying and putting together Topps, Fleer, & Donruss sets up until 1989.

Then Upper Deck happened and made me rethink my collecting habits. Couldn't afford to keep building the 3 sets and want the premium UD set too. So that was the first time I had to adjust. Dropped Donruss & Fleer so I could afford UD. Never bothered with Score.

Then, just 2 years later, 1992 happened. Thanks to Topps, I had to have the Topps Gold parallels. It was crazy that year and I went all out. Not only went after the Gold set, 1992 Fleer Ultra and Bowman came out. Two more "premium" sets I liked and then it was on.

Gave up on base sets and focused on insert sets I liked. Hey, hobby was getting real expensive with $12.00 packs of Finest in 1993. So for next 8 or so years, focused on inserts I liked and never touched base sets. One only has but so much money for the hobby.

Then in the early 2000's, the game used and autograph market really took off. So had to have game used and auto's, so had to change my focus again. So I chose to collect my 5 favorite players of all time (Yaz, Steve Carlton, Greg Maddux, Hakeem Olajuwon and Larry Bird). This way I could also pick up auto's and game used of other players I liked. Gave up on insert sets at that point.

Then, 2004 Diamond Kings happened. Frickin 1/1's became common and super low numbered parallels as well. So gave up on Yaz, Olajuwon and Carlton to become super collectors of Bird and Maddux.

Well, that lasted 2 years because the low serial numbered cards became so common place and with Maddux and Bird, couldn't afford it. Had over 2300 unique Maddux cards in 2006, and stopped because I simply couldn't afford to buy all the Maddux & Bird I wanted. I'm a completest and it ticked me off I couldn't acquire every card of them.

So stopped being a super collector and went back to sets. Since 2006, have been putting together insert and parallel sets I liked. Would buy cases to get me started (like Heritage Chrome & Chrome Refractors) and buy what else I needed.

What finally became the last straw was over the last few years, how little value comes out of these cases anymore. Having opened up packs since 1975, I have always had the itch to open. Well, nothing like opening up a $100 box to pull 2 sticker auto's box after box worth $5 and $20. Base set, if you can make one, sells for $15 and the inserts maybe $15 if you are lucky to even sell them. With so few "collectors" out there, I am stuck with tons of base and inserts whose value drops even more when you have to "blow out' the lot just to move them. And even when you hit a big name auto, it barely pays for the box.

So while I have never been in the hobby to make money (still have my 1976 Topps set), I would like to see value in the boxes I open.

Yes, the hobby has evolved over the years and I have adjusted time and time again, but it's at a point where I am no longer having fun. Too many sets I want to collect, but can't afford. Too many Maddux cards I want, will never afford or even be able to purchase because there are only 1 or 2 in existence.

So I say goodbye to the hobby in 2018. Topps has ruined the hobby in so many ways (too many products, redemptions, pricing etc.) that the fun that once was collecting back in 1975 has completely gone away, for me at least.

Goodbye Baseball, it's been a fun 42 years.

Bill
    Please visit my personal website with over 15,000 cards available.

Bill's Discount Card Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got back into collecting in 1981. Collected quite a bit 1968-1973. In 1982
    a friend recommended that I buy Ripken Jr. cards. Took his advice. At one
    time I had 1500+ Topps rookies and 500+ each Donruss and Fleer. Sold or traded
    most of them. Bought over 500+ different Jr. cards through 1998. Bought also
    other Jr. items ( books mags. cups coins etc.) I left the hobby in 1998 because
    there was no hope for completion. Still have it all including a few rookie cards.
    I don't add to the collection but I keep up with the hobby through a few forums.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much out. A thing like Harvey(the hurricane) comes along and it really puts things in perspective for you. That was the last straw. I was lucky enough to be unaffected for the most part but between that, and a few other things lately, I'm no longer going to bother. I think I have the money to compete. But I feel like it's foolish to continue. I did try to go about finding collectibles insurance but from everything I've seen, that was going to be so painstaking, it wasn't worth it. Space wasn't an issue either. I just don't want to sink so much effort into something just to have mother nature or some would be burglar take it all away. Not when I can still watch my teams on tv and spend the rest of my time fishing. I'll have other hobbies. But I don't want a room full of either irreplaceable things or things that would take a considerable amount of time and money to replace.

Might I point out, the hobby isn't really helping itself out either. As per usual, they(card companies) take good ideas and run them into the ground.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its now been a couple years since I sold off my player collection.. I have it all scanned in on a thumb drive when I feel the need to look back but it was easier than I thought it would be to let go. being one of those crazy super collectors who has to have 1 of everything and Topps making that ridiculous with parallel after parallel of the same old boring card/picture really cemented my exit. I'm focused much more on Fishing and shooting these days which are also activities I can share with family members and friends. I can enjoy the hobby by checking these forums and talking with other collectors now from afar. my love for 90's inserts and that era of collecting will never go away but I don't need to physically own any of these cards anymore.

dodgergeo
     dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a bit of a precipice myself. It kinda hit me several weeks ago that my passion to collect has damn near disappeared. It seems like it's been months since I posted here and I've got zero interest in CU anymore 0 something that I never would have thought would happen not too many years ago - that place was my first home, but (and maybe this is the old man in me) things just aren't the same there anymore. Too many of my friends have moved on (voluntarily and others, well, not so much), and much of the conversation that is left has become divisive and partisan. I'll just leave it at that. Suffice it to say that my message board participation has in large part fueled, or more precisely has in part failed to fuel my desire to collect.

I used to shop for new Butler cards several times a day; I thought about it just now and it occurs to me that I haven't checked in probably a week, and it was probably at least a week before that... and when I reflect further I find that that has been going on for months. I've actually thought about dumping the entire collection - I'd take a huge loss on it, but it'd be one less thing for me to worry about holding on to.

I've got some vintage stuff that needs attention, but I haven't checked my normal saved searches in weeks. Guess it doesn't help that I'm completely done with almost all of the Dodgers sets I've ever attempted. I'm down to Cracker Jacks, a lone T205 variation, some Goudeys and some Diamond Stars. I added Bell Brand, Red Man, OPC and Post to try to reinvigorate my collecting passion, but it hasn't helped yet. The vintage collection I've got, especially the Dodgers team sets, is dear to me and will probably remain in my possession for hopefully the rest of my life. The rest... meh. I've partially said goodbye to it already, at least in my head.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I die....
    ....or when I get bored of it
    Whichever occurs first.

But in all seriousness, I have gotten out of this hobby so many times I can't even count. I'll start a PC of some particular player and then down the line I'll need the money or just want to clear space and sell it off. It's generally when a new season begins and I get all excited about some talented player that pulls me back in. Just when I think I'm out....

It was prospecting that brought me back into the game this latest time and I've gone a few years without selling everything off. Now I only sell off certain prospects when it suits me to maximize profit. But the money goes right back into other prospects. Buy low, sell high...you know how it is.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    When I die....
    ....or when I get bored of it
    Whichever occurs first.

But in all seriousness, I have gotten out of this hobby so many times I can't even count. I'll start a PC of some particular player and then down the line I'll need the money or just want to clear space and sell it off. It's generally when a new season begins and I get all excited about some talented player that pulls me back in. Just when I think I'm out....

It was prospecting that brought me back into the game this latest time and I've gone a few years without selling everything off. Now I only sell off certain prospects when it suits me to maximize profit. But the money goes right back into other prospects. Buy low, sell high...you know how it is.
    I like to buy high and sell low

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    I like to buy high
    I heard it's now legal to do that in Cali too.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

rp7001
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, I had no pick ups the entire first 6 months of the year, but made up for that in the latter half. I have collected in spurts over the years. I have thought about getting out many times, but each time it has been nice to come back to collecting when time allows. I don't think I'll be able to ever get out completely. I too have mellowed over the years with my trading, the frequency and amount of searches, and collecting goals.

What has helped me is that when my collecting interest wanes, I find myself curating my collection. Over the years, I have been able to trim the less desired items and hold on to what I really enjoy keeping. That not only keeps my desk and shelf from overflowing but give extra funds towards things I want for cards and other hobbies.

I feel I will always continue to chip away at my Yankees Topps & Heritage team sets and my Paul O'Neill playing years collection. Aside from that, I have a dozen or so high-end Yankee cards I am really after.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Last year, I had no pick ups the entire first 6 months of the year, but made up for that in the latter half. I have collected in spurts over the years. I have thought about getting out many times, but each time it has been nice to come back to collecting when time allows. I don't think I'll be able to ever get out completely. I too have mellowed over the years with my trading, the frequency and amount of searches, and collecting goals.

What has helped me is that when my collecting interest wanes, I find myself curating my collection. Over the years, I have been able to trim the less desired items and hold on to what I really enjoy keeping. That not only keeps my desk and shelf from overflowing but give extra funds towards things I want for cards and other hobbies.

I feel I will always continue to chip away at my Yankees Topps & Heritage team sets and my Paul O'Neill playing years collection. Aside from that, I have a dozen or so high-end Yankee cards I am really after.
    I TOTALLY understand the high end Yankee cards part!!!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    I TOTALLY understand the high end Yankee cards part!!!!!
    As do I lol..just haven't gotten many yet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast