Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB commissioner reportedly pressuring Indians to get rid of the Chief Wahoo logo

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, Jim Thome says he doesn't want the Chief Wahoo logo on his Hall of Fame plaque.

ESPN -- Incoming Hall of Famer Jim Thome said Friday that he does not want to be wearing a cap with the Chief Wahoo logo on his plaque in Cooperstown.

"I know my decision would be to wear the 'C' because I think it's the right thing to do," Thome said at an event in Cleveland. "I think I need to have a conversation with the Hall of Fame because of all the history and everything involved. I just think that's the right thing to do."

The Indians said Monday they are removing the Chief Wahoo logo from their jerseys and caps starting in the 2019 season. They have been wearing a cap featuring a block-C in recent years and phasing out caps with the logo.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleveland should just bite the bullet and officially change the team's name to the Tribe and make the arm sleeves on the uniforms have the appearance of tribal tattoos.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could go off about this but Iíll end up calling somebody a jackhammer so Iíll just say..........whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Cal Ripken Supercollector

***Tradelist***

My Cal Ripken Collection

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Today, Jim Thome says he doesn't want the Chief Wahoo logo on his Hall of Fame plaque.

ESPN -- Incoming Hall of Famer Jim Thome said Friday that he does not want to be wearing a cap with the Chief Wahoo logo on his plaque in Cooperstown.

"I know my decision would be to wear the 'C' because I think it's the right thing to do," Thome said at an event in Cleveland. "I think I need to have a conversation with the Hall of Fame because of all the history and everything involved. I just think that's the right thing to do."

The Indians said Monday they are removing the Chief Wahoo logo from their jerseys and caps starting in the 2019 season. They have been wearing a cap featuring a block-C in recent years and phasing out caps with the logo.
    Class act.
    The truth stands still.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Class act.
    My respect for him went up quite a bit. He didn't have to say anything, but the fact that he went out of his way to do this says a lot about his character.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting tidbit from the Chief Wahoo Wikipedia page about the logo first appearing on the Indians caps in 1986:

[In the mid-80s] During his tenure as President of the Cleveland Indians baseball team, Peter Bavasi asked players how the team's uniforms should look. Bavasi has described Joe Carter and Pat Tabler suggesting that Chief Wahoo be added to the hats, with Tabler predicting that it would "sell like crazy".

Bavasi recalls expressing concern that it would offend Native American groups, but that player Bert Blyleven reassured him, "Nah, it shouldn't. Really looks like [general manager] Phil Seghi." Blyleven made a similar remark to Sports Illustrated, and the magazine described the resemblance as "uncanny".

Tabler's prediction was ultimately borne out, with hat sales increasing significantly after the reintroduction of Chief Wahoo.

Last edited by Austin; 02-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgerelli View Post
    My respect for him went up quite a bit. He didn't have to say anything, but the fact that he went out of his way to do this says a lot about his character.

Scott F
    agree. He's one of the most likable players in the last 30 years and he's proven time and again he's just a great guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancemountain View Post
    I'd love for them to go back to being The Naps- would bring some history back to the game and we very much need.

The Chief Wahoo is a mischievous caricature of an entire "race"- I use race in parenthesis as there are so many cultures of Pre-European contact it's impossible to call all native populations one singular "race." Besides that point it's not meant to honor or be complimentary to the native people.

There are examples of native people that support specific college and pro mascots- this is not one of those cases. To all you white people here posting about your 1/64th of native blood or you posters from states with high native populations who "haven't heard anything about it"---racism and oppression isn't water cooler talk. For every person who is speaking out there are thousands who aren't.

Besides tradition, why would ANYONE defend this? Call me a snowflake all you want- changing the mascot to something less offensive isn't going to hurt anyone. We have a baseball team called The Indians (a misnomer) with a sneaky, back alley grin on his face. Time to move on.

And the Notre Dame comparison was very very very very dumb. Very.
    So unless a person has an undefined amount (by you) of blood quantum their opinion as a Native American holds no weight...good to know. So good of you to not discrimin....oh nevermind.
    I PC Jeff Frye and Ozzie Smith. Working on 2017 A&G and Donruss Optic currently
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    So unless a person has an undefined amount (by you) of blood quantum their opinion as a Native American holds no weight...good to know. So good of you to not discrimin....oh nevermind.
    Thatís not even remotely what I was saying

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard an irishman wanting Notre Dame to change their logo or name. I'm just sayin....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123