Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Night Crew Feb 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Hi Dom, I recognize the name from a trade I did years ago... not sure what it would have been though. How are you? :)
Doing great! Thanks! I honestly don't remember the trade either.... so long ago.... most likely for either a Chris Young card(s) or Frank Thomas. Would not trade for much else. lol
Still overseas and most likely won't change that. Changed jobs into real estate now so that's cool. Making decent money and being an independent agent gives me some time to do other stuff as well.
How are thing across the pond? LOL

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Sam, thats a great question. I don't think there is one clear cut answer for it. I think it will take a combination of many things to slow it down.

1. Gun control--eliminating the ability to buy "assault" weapons will not stop it. Give me a scatter gun(shotgun) and some choice ammo and I can bring the rain on any given day. Same goes for a semi auto pistol or hunting rifle. Its HOW the weapon is used that determines the end results. You can go out right now and buy a 12ga shotgun from Walmart and do the exact same thing that the shooter in Florida or in any other shooting did and see the same results, probably WORSE if used in the right way. So determining that a gun is to blame is not the way to look at it.

2. Legislation--If I want a gun right now, all I have to do is go make the purchase, they do a little bit of paperwork with me, I state that I am not a Felon, and it runs thru the system on the computer(presumably doing a background check on me) and BOOM. I pay and walk out with said weapon. I think there needs to be a more stringent method to be able to purchase. I think that perhaps anyone that owns a gun should be required to go through a licensed FFL if they decide to sell one. Right now I can open up our bargain trader and find page after page of people selling guns and all that is required is cash. How do you know who you're selling to? Could be a mental health risk, felon....etc etc....nobody knows. I could see a class being developed where anyone that wants to obtain a firearm has to sit through a responsibility class...much like our state requires any new hunter that is obtaining a hunting license. It won't stop it but it sure does expose the risk.

3. Media--quit sensationalizing these shootings. It is plastered on some channels 24/7. It brings that unnecessary attention to those that commit these crimes. Report it, then move on. Don't spend a month talking about it.

4. Society--how many kids today spend hours playing FPS games and watching youtube videos of people doing violent things with no more than an afterthought of what is actually happening? We have become a society that is desensitized to violence and death. No way to stop this as it is what has become of the world, but years ago, you didn't have access to the worlds affairs at your fingertips and kids weren't playing shoot em up games for hours every day.

5. Parents--get more active in your kids lives. Teach them right from wrong at an early age. Explain to them consequences come from their actions. Educate them. Involve them. Love them and give them the attention they need. Put down your iphone, laptop, or whatever youre doing and go have a catch with your kid. Talk to them about their day. Ask them questions. Show them love.

6. Educators/Administrators--Be more involved. Listen. Know the pulse of the student body. Reach out to the kids and let them know that its OK to speak up if you see or hear something about to happen. Let kids know that they can make a positive difference if they just speak out and are heard. Being a leader and a mentor for today's youth is crucial in their development as human beings.

7. Faith--yeah yeah. I know. Its not about religion. However, when I was growing up, I was taught right vs. wrong and about the ten commandments. It wasn't beaten into my head but I was taught enough to know that people shouldn't kill other people. Prayers don't solve problems but understanding faith and believing in something can make a difference down the road when you're on the verge of right vs. wrong.

8. Judicial System-- Needs to get tougher on criminals. Sorry, you went and killed these people. You can't plead out insane. You knew what you were doing. Just as a writer uses a pencil to get their ideas across, you used weapons and pushed your own agenda across. It doesn't do it for you. You killed someone? We'll kill you back. You get the death penalty and we will use it. Quit slapping people on the wrists. Punishment needs to be fitting of the crime. No more free rides.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
YO BLANNING!!!! How's it going?
I heard what happened... here in Europe people still aren't able to understand that gun control in the US is so... well, the way it is... and that it is so easy to obtain a weapon.
That aside, I totally agree with what you just posted.
Between the ulta violent video games/movies/modern tech/less time with kids etc..... seriously, nothing is helping.
Punishment is indeed needs to be improved and examples need to be made.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
My man Dom! Good to see ya buddy! Yeah, its crazy. They have gun shows here every weekend and it is just crazy at what people can get their hands on with relative ease. Like I said, if there is a will, there is a way. It may not be a firearm, but rather an improvised explosive device, a car, a hatchet....its all in how you use the tools at your disposal. Its sad really. Glad to see you're doing well in real estate. That can be a very fun and rewarding profession. Lots of hard work though. Its not easy getting people to buy homes anymore.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Exactly, it's how you use them, and the influence you have to be pushed to use them.
Yes, real estate is fun and rewarding. Difficult at times but in the long run it's paying off.
How have you been?

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Wow, blanning...you hit the nail square on the head! I agree with you and would add one contributing factor: social media. Social media has become an easy way to spread negative propaganda, bully people (look at some of the comments people will make toward someone they don't even know on Facebook), and promote general stupidity. To me, it seems like it's become a game of who can draw the most attention to themselves. Well, like your point with the media, horrible people who want notoriety will have it in an instant when they get everyone talking on social media.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
We've systemically removed all respect for each other and the value of life from society. It shouldn't be surprising that a society that regards life as having little value has little issue taking it.

I'm a responsible gun owner. I have my CCW. I carry concealed quite often (~80% of the time) in a state that has Open Carry. I come from a military family with an appreciation for firearms and their capability. I enjoy target shooting immensely. I have hunted in the past, still own hunting rifles, and would hunt again in the future though I prefer to just take pictures of the deer around my house with my camera these days. If I'm going to go out and gather food I'm going fishing.

I have zero issue with passing a law that requires all gun sales to go through a licensed FFL. I refuse to do face to face buys as is now. If I'm at a gun show and want to buy something from a face to face seller I'll take the seller to a friend with an FFL and do the transaction through them. If they don't want to do that then I walk away. I have zero issue with better mental health screening for gun purchases. I also have zero faith those two changes would have any effect on the obtainment of weapons for acts like this. Having to acquire the necessary tools illegally to commit an atrocity doesn't matter to someone like a school shooter. They aren't going to stop just because obtaining the gun, or bomb parts, or whatever is illegal.

I have issues with demonizing the AR as well. I don't own one, purely for aesthetic reasons, but the AR isn't the issue here. You can do more damage with a semi-auto 12 gauge and semi-auto handguns in a school building type environment than an AR but no one is trying to blame shotguns or handguns.

I take huge issue with the media sensationalizing these people. Don't even mention their damn names. Quit making them famous. It won't solve the problem but it won't contribute to it anymore either.

People are going to use whatever means available to them to take life if they wish to do so. Australia did their buyback and claim they haven't had a mass shooting since 1996. They've had five by US definition which is actually commendable. Instead now they have people using vehicles as weapons or securing the exits to a building and burning it down around the people inside. England saw a sharp rise in murders by knife and hammer/blunt object that more or less coincided with the percentage decrease in gun deaths when they banned guns. People have been killing each other with rocks or tree branches for millennia. Don't expect that to change.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
In Mariners news, M's meh 1st basemen Ryon Healy is already hurt with a hand injury possibly caused by ************ :-| He will be replaced by Dan Vogelbach, a guy who once had boobs bigger than Gianna Michaels. ::facepalm:: and people say I'm too negative on this teams chances.