Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
Quick back story - I recently purchased a lot of 1984 Donruss commons on eBay to help fill in gaps in my set and to replace some cards that were badly off centered.

I got the cards yesterday and was amazed at how well centered they were. After putting the cards I did not previously have in the 3x3 sleeves, I started to replace some of the off centered cards. I noticed when I compared the older card I had pulled from a box 30+ years ago with the new ones I had received that the new ones seemed just a little smaller. Not much but everyone was just a little narrower.

Now I paid like $5 including shipping for this lot so I don't have a lot of money in this deal but does it seem likely that someone would trim penny commons? Is it worth my while to pursue it or do I just accept that they look fine and the difference is really small? Financially of course there is no real incentive, but my thought is if these really are trimmed then what else is this seller doing on more expensive cards?

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Hmm, seems odd to trim penny cards. Could they maybe have been cut like that from the factory? You could maybe ask the seller about it. Start it by saying your're not looking to return them, or open a case, just curious. See what happens.

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
I doubt they were trimmed. In all likelihood, those cards came from a factory set. Factory set Donruss cards from 1984 have been known to have some minimum size issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks! Didn't seem to make sense that someone would go through the time and effort to trim them. Factory set makes much more sense.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I doubt they were trimmed. In all likelihood, those cards came from a factory set. Factory set Donruss cards from 1984 have been known to have some minimum size issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Did the backs look different too? Usually factory sets cards have "brighter" looking backs too.

I'm no expert, and certainly not on '84D, so IDK if this set had that difference, but it might be a way to tell if they're from factory sets...

Members online