Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: What would you do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do?

Quick back story - I recently purchased a lot of 1984 Donruss commons on eBay to help fill in gaps in my set and to replace some cards that were badly off centered.

I got the cards yesterday and was amazed at how well centered they were. After putting the cards I did not previously have in the 3x3 sleeves, I started to replace some of the off centered cards. I noticed when I compared the older card I had pulled from a box 30+ years ago with the new ones I had received that the new ones seemed just a little smaller. Not much but everyone was just a little narrower.

Now I paid like $5 including shipping for this lot so I don't have a lot of money in this deal but does it seem likely that someone would trim penny commons? Is it worth my while to pursue it or do I just accept that they look fine and the difference is really small? Financially of course there is no real incentive, but my thought is if these really are trimmed then what else is this seller doing on more expensive cards?

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, seems odd to trim penny cards. Could they maybe have been cut like that from the factory? You could maybe ask the seller about it. Start it by saying your're not looking to return them, or open a case, just curious. See what happens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt they were trimmed. In all likelihood, those cards came from a factory set. Factory set Donruss cards from 1984 have been known to have some minimum size issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Didn't seem to make sense that someone would go through the time and effort to trim them. Factory set makes much more sense.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.petkus View Post
    I doubt they were trimmed. In all likelihood, those cards came from a factory set. Factory set Donruss cards from 1984 have been known to have some minimum size issues.

Did the backs look different too? Usually factory sets cards have "brighter" looking backs too.

I'm no expert, and certainly not on '84D, so IDK if this set had that difference, but it might be a way to tell if they're from factory sets...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.petkus View Post

This. Remember this from somewhere and was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this post.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maestracewslover View Post
    This. Remember this from somewhere and was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this post.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    And I remember it from a disastrous PSA submission and like 7 “min size requirement” rejections lol.