Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YU DARVISH SIGNS WITH THE CUBS (6Y/$126M)

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool YU DARVISH SIGNS WITH THE CUBS (6Y/$126M)

Wow. In it for the long haul, Theo is.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darvish.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	76994
    Last edited by Jaypers; 02-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    J.P.

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking the Brewers' pursuit of Jake has just intensified.

Let the dominoes fall. Finally.
    J.P.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was hoping they wouldn't go over 5 years, but probably had to include the 6th to get him over Milwaukee/Dodgers/Twins.

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
    I'm thinking the Brewers' pursuit of Jake has just intensified.

Let the dominoes fall. Finally.
    Or StL

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George_Calfas View Post
    Or StL
    Pass.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my advanced calculations, that comes to roughly $21 million per year.

I know, I know I'm probably the most intelligent person on this entire site for solving such an advanced equation but I can't take all the credit. During the solving process I had some help from a special algorithm that allowed me to figure it out a couple hours earlier than expected.

But in all seriousness I think this was a solid move by the Cubs, although it's a little lengthy for a pitcher of Darvish's age who has a history of injuries. Still, the price point is right for a guy who will consistently put up 3-5 fWAR a season and assuming he stays healthy, we shouldn't see any major regression until the final couple years (age 36 & 37 seasons) of the contract.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Based on my advanced calculations, that comes to roughly $21 million per year.

I know, I know I'm probably the most intelligent person on this entire site for solving such an advanced equation but I can't take all the credit. During the solving process I had some help from a special algorithm that allowed me to figure it out a couple hours earlier than expected.

But in all seriousness I think this was a solid move by the Cubs, although it's a little lengthy for a pitcher of Darvish's age who has a history of injuries. Still, the price point is right for a guy who will consistently put up 3-5 fWAR a season and assuming he stays healthy, we shouldn't see any major regression until the final couple years (age 36 & 37 seasons) of the contract.
    His underlying stats have been showing significant regression for a couple years. He's a pumpkin waiting for midnight.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    His underlying stats have been showing significant regression for a couple years. He's a pumpkin waiting for midnight.

So is Arrietta.

No to both of them.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see what the Pirates do to counteract all of these moves in the division! 😂

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if he has a good couple years in there, the overall deal is not worth it IMO...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    Even if he has a good couple years in there, the overall deal is not worth it IMO...
    IMO 95% of the 5+ year *free agent* contracts end up being a bust.

I honestly can't think of one that was ever worth it but I'm sure there may be one or two that I have either forgotten about or a debate could be made which is why I left open a 5% possibility.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    IMO 95% of the 5+ year *free agent* contracts end up being a bust.

I honestly can't think of one that was ever worth it but I'm sure there may be one or two that I have either forgotten about or a debate could be made which is why I left open a 5% possibility.
    Scherzer is likely to break even at minimum. Matt Holliday's 7 year deal with the Cardinals provided a ton of surplus value. Those two are about it.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree that those length of deals almost never work out towards the end. However, if we win another World Series...or two...or three...during his contract, then it doesn't matter. We Cubs fans would be a lot more upset with losing Gleyber Torres, but we don't win a WS without Chapman. Say what you want about him running out of gas in Game 6 & 7, we don't even get to those games with Rondon as closer. Same thing could be said with losing Eloy Jimenez, as long as we win one with Quintana on the roster, it's worth losing two of the best prospects in the game. I would imagine Angels fans would say the same thing about the long term Pujols contract.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    For Darvish? Which of those stats concerns you?

rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Pass.
    I don’t want Jake either....I am fearing a knee-jerk reaction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast