Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cool and unique vintage autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Nothing nearly as cool as these, nor as vintage, but I picked these up last year. They weren't listed as autographed, so I felt very fortunate to find them.

A reserved seating ticket for Killer's HOF induction a guest pass to the museum during what I assume was HOF weekend.

img196b.jpgimg197b.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
You may see more Clemente autos in this thread since I'm actively looking for one for a custom I'd like to have made but this wouldn't fit that bill since it's a cool piece!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pirates-Ro...060670?hash=item1ed8d81cbe:g:ppwAAOSwoddab2~U
View attachment 77488

I've wanted to pick one of those up for a little while. I have a few Puerto Rico League contracts, and there may be no better item tying Clemente to Puerto Rico than one of these contracts. Don't have the funds at the moment to really go after a piece like that right now though...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I've wanted to pick one of those up for a little while. I have a few Puerto Rico League contracts, and there may be no better item tying Clemente to Puerto Rico than one of these contracts. Don't have the funds at the moment to really go after a piece like that right now though...

I'm sure some day soon you will wow us all with another museum quality pick-up!

I love following the things you buy.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Nothing nearly as cool as these, nor as vintage, but I picked these up last year. They weren't listed as autographed, so I felt very fortunate to find them.

A reserved seating ticket for Killer's HOF induction a guest pass to the museum during what I assume was HOF weekend.

View attachment 77512View attachment 77513

Those are awesome and unique!

I cant imagine there are many of those.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure some day soon you will wow us all with another museum quality pick-up!

I love following the things you buy.

It's been a lot slower since I left my last job and started out on my own, but I'm selling off some items that were not really PC, and hoping to have the funds to find some nice pieces. I've mostly added to my lineup card collection recently.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Another cool piece and a question...do you prefer this signature over the "babe" signatures or does the rarity of these make them more sought after?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-...433515?hash=item41ccb7372b:g:gdIAAOSw1OlZje8C
View attachment 77570

Neither Ruth signature is really considered "rare" in comparison to pretty much any HOFer that played around his time period, or even a little later...Ruth wasn't someone who was shy about signing. It's not the rarity that drives the price... as I'm sure you know it's usually the quality of the auto (in this case a 10/10) and I guess the "cool factor" of what was signed. In my opinion the "Babe Ruth" signature is typically more sought after by the big HOF auto collectors and the nice, bold examples of those seem like they tend to go for a bit more. I've never seen the item in post #9 but that looks like a museum quality piece to me.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Very cool thread. I have a lot of all-time favorites I've tried to keep track of, but this is the first one that comes to mind. I don't believe this is the most recent sale of this item, but it kind of speaks for itself:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com...ie-joss-day-signed-game-baseball-joe-jackson/

For those unfamiliar with Addie Joss he was a dead ball era pitcher for Cleveland. He died in 1911 of tuberculosis meningitis at the age of 31 and was voted into the HOF by the Veteran's Committee decades later in 1978. He's probably the biggest headache for HOF autograph collectors...I haven't been following closely for a couple years now but the last I remember I think there were 4 authenticated examples of his autograph.

He was pretty damn good on the mound...I believe he has the second or third lowest ERA in MLB history, as well as a couple no hitters and a perfect game.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
There was someone that recently found an Addie Joss autograph at an antique store or something. I think it was on Net 54 and the poster got all the typical "no way it's real" responses but when he showed photos of it they determined the auto was real and it got authenticated by PSA or JSA.

Scott F

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
There was someone that recently found an Addie Joss autograph at an antique store or something. I think it was on Net 54 and the poster got all the typical "no way it's real" responses but when he showed photos of it they determined the auto was real and it got authenticated by PSA or JSA.

Scott F

Wow, that’s really incredible. Any chance you have a link to that thread?

I could easily be mistaking but I believe PSA is the only company that’s authenticated a Joss signature in the past. I’d assume it had to be PSA, if not I would definitely resubmit to PSA. When you have an autograph of that rarity a company that has a track record of examining the signature would command far more market value. If my memory serves correct and JSA hasn’t authenticated a Joss auto, some people who have the money to buy a Joss signature piece might be turned off by a first time authentication. Just my opinion

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
After I posted I remembered it was authenticated by someone not at PSA or JSA. I believe it was someone that wrote a book on HOF autos. I think this was a few years ago too and my memory is fuzzy on the details, it was just a thread I read and thought it was interesting.

I wonder how many other super rare autographs like this are still around but in places that no one knows about. Like that guy that found the old books filled with the Players League documents signed by Buck Ewing, John Ward, etc.

Scott F

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I believe I had shown this awhile ago and have now sold it but it is still one of the coolest pieces I have ever discovered.

While working for the team and helping them toss out garbage I found a small stack of these autographs. As I dug further I found that these were from the files of the former traveling secretary for the team who required everyone to sign this form to signify that they players and trainer received their weekly spring training per diem for meal money. At one time I had the stack for the entire 1954 Spring training which, as it got closer to opening day the roster thinned out. If you look closely you will see a Ralph Kiner signature as well as a beautiful "Ernest" Banks in his first ever spring training as a Major League baseball player.

chicago cubs spring training signatures.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts