Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Eric Hosmer Signs With the Padres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Crazy. Between him and their prospects maybe I'll start watching more of their games. They have been unwatchable for a long time.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
8 year 144million.

:benson:

Seems like a great deal for the Padres. Hosmer is coming off the best season of his career and being a young team they will need some production from players in their prime years.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Seems like a great deal for the Padres. Hosmer is coming off the best season of his career and being a young team they will need some production from players in their prime years.

Could be good, I guess my problems with it out be-

1. Who are they bidding against? themselves? it seems like the other teams were giving up and moving on.
2. Next years FA is going to be awesome, especially considering any team that tries to get Harper can't afford anything else, so they all will have to hold their money until he signs... (unless he signs super fast which I don't think will happen)
3. Wil Myers isn't that bad! in fact he is kind of good ;) They might make the mistake of trading him, who knows.
4.This team sucks. Their Pythagorean last year was 59 wins. You usually want to overpay when you're close. By the time the P's get good this contract could be a drag.
5. The Padres are so cheap they are probably done buying for 8 years :lol:
6. Last year was his peak WAR at 4. I guess that is worth 144 mil these days but damn.

The main plus though is if you're a Padres fan and want to go to the park and watch a competent player play everyday. Anyone who was throwing in the towel at them getting good should love this as you at least get to watch someone who can hit for a while.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
8 year 144million.
:benson:
Not as bad as it appears. He's 28 and still in his prime coming off his best offensive season and his third Gold Glove.

He'll make $20 million his first five seasons, then only $13 million in his final three, age 33-35 seasons. Seems very fair, especially compared to those horrible backloaded 7-year contracts that end in a players late 30s or early 40s.

67Topps

Sep 8, 2015
I'm a Royals fan and it's probably best he signed with the Padres. His charade decreased his ticket-selling value with Royals fans.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Not as bad as it appears. He's 28 and still in his prime coming off his best offensive season and his third Gold Glove.

He'll make $20 million his first five seasons, then only $13 million in his final three, age 33-35 seasons. Seems very fair, especially compared to those horrible backloaded 7-year contracts that end in a players late 30s or early 40s.

Exactly.

I've seen worse players get that much. And they're getting him in his "prime", which is rare. Most big contracts are AFTER that...

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I'm a Royals fan and it's probably best he signed with the Padres. His charade decreased his ticket-selling value with Royals fans.

I agree. It’s obvious that he didn’t want to stay in KC, ESPECIALLY if he turned down the Royals’ 7/$147M for SD’s 8/$144M. Maybe now we can sign Logan Morrison, someone who actually WANTS to play here. And possibly re-sign Moose, too...that’d be sweet!

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I agree. It’s obvious that he didn’t want to stay in KC, ESPECIALLY if he turned down the Royals’ 7/$147M for SD’s 8/$144M. Maybe now we can sign Logan Morrison, someone who actually WANTS to play here. And possibly re-sign Moose, too...that’d be sweet!

Dayuuum, I was unaware that he got such an offer from the Royals and turned it down. He must really hate it there.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Hosmer's fWAR totals in 7 full time seasons (550+ PAs):

1.0, -1.7, 3.2, 0.0, 3.5, -0.1, 4.1

That's not good. He's a poor defender (I don't care about Gold Glove wins unless they pass the eye test and stats) and he's totally reliant on above average luck on balls in play which his profile doesn't support to post decent offensive output.

I'm extremely glad the Padres signed him so the Cardinals couldn't.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Dayuuum, I was unaware that he got such an offer from the Royals and turned it down. He must really hate it there.

He can see the writing on the wall. The Royals are likely going to be bad for a long time. If these were the only two teams making offers to his liking, which would you choose?

Good move. But we need more starting pitching to come anywhere near contending this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-padres-must-think-that-theyre-not-far-away/

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I just don't see that contract going the full 8 years, only 5 really. That being said, that Padres had to do something. The only fans that showed up were opposing the opposing team's...

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Hosmer's fWAR totals in 7 full time seasons (550+ PAs):

1.0, -1.7, 3.2, 0.0, 3.5, -0.1, 4.1

That's not good. He's a poor defender (I don't care about Gold Glove wins unless they pass the eye test and stats) and he's totally reliant on above average luck on balls in play which his profile doesn't support to post decent offensive output.

I'm extremely glad the Padres signed him so the Cardinals couldn't.

Wow, I've never actually checked out Hosmer's advanced metrics before but now that I have, I've got to say I'm surprised to see how below average they appear to be, especially his defensive metrics. I've always assumed he was a great defensive first baseman because he seems to win the Gold Glove every year but based on both fangraphs & BR's defensive metrics it appears that he's vastly overrated & not just his defense. He's worth roughly 2 rWAR & less than 1.5 fWAR per season. I had originally thought he was a better player than what his advanced metrics paint him to be. If making a judgement based strictly on sabermetrics you'd say that he's had 3 well above average seasons (although none that would be considered All-Star or MVP caliber), a few seasons where his value was comparable (or "slightly" better) to that of a replacement player & a season where he performed worse than a replacement player. If you look a little closer it almost appears like after every good season it is followed by a bad season, throughout his entire career. You can sort of see it in his traditional stats too but it's not as obvious (there is an up and down trend in his avg/OBP/OPS).

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Wow, I've never actually checked out Hosmer's advanced metrics before but now that I have, I've got to say I'm surprised to see how below average they appear to be, especially his defensive metrics. I've always assumed he was a great defensive first baseman because he seems to win the Gold Glove every year but based on both fangraphs & BR's defensive metrics it appears that he's vastly overrated & not just his defense. He's worth roughly 2 rWAR & less than 1.5 fWAR per season. I had originally thought he was a better player than what his advanced metrics paint him to be. If making a judgement based strictly on sabermetrics you'd say that he's had 3 well above average seasons (although none that would be considered All-Star or MVP caliber), a few seasons where his value was comparable (or "slightly" better) to that of a replacement player & a season where he performed worse than a replacement player. If you look a little closer it almost appears like after every good season it is followed by a bad season, throughout his entire career. You can sort of see it in his traditional stats too but it's not as obvious (there is an up and down trend in his avg/OBP/OPS).

He is excellent at picking low throws and that wins you Gold Gloves. Everything else is meh.

Offensively when he gets really lucky on balls in play and runs a .350+ BABIP he's above league average with the bat. When he runs a league average BABIP of .300 he's league average to worse with the bat. He's a really weird player but at that price point I'd want a 2.5-3 fWAR floor, not a 4 fWAR ceiling.

Members online