Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Ohtani Season Projections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
His ST debut:

Jeff Fletcher @JeffFletcherOCR
#Angels Shohei Ohtani is done for the day. He gave up a HR to Keon Broxton in the 2nd. He pitched 1.1 IP, 2H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2K. One wild pitch. He threw 31 pitches, 17 strikes. Topped out at 97 mph.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Hitting: .235 avg 7 HR 24 RBI .726 OPS (roughly 150 at-bats)
Pitching: 9-10 3.62 ERA 1.25 WHIP 162 IP 180 K:66 BB

I think he'll be a slightly below average hitter (great by a pitchers standards) and get far less at-bat opportunities than most expect he will. I predict he'll eventually be seen as a far better pitcher than hitter. He'll finish the season with ROY votes. Not sure if he'll win or not, it depends on how the rest of the top rookies perform.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Pitching- 5-3 record, 3.62 ERA, 85IP, 90K (his pitching gets shut down at some point)

Batting- .273 BA, 14 HR, 79 RBI (Mike Trout assisted) 65 Runs

Injuries- hmmm........... :cool:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hitting: .235 avg 7 HR 24 RBI .726 OPS (roughly 150 at-bats)
Pitching: 9-10 3.62 ERA 1.25 WHIP 162 IP 180 K:66 BB

I think he'll be a slightly below average hitter (great by a pitchers standards) and get far less at-bat opportunities than most expect he will. I predict he'll eventually be seen as a far better pitcher than hitter. He'll finish the season with ROY votes. Not sure if he'll win or not, it depends on how the rest of the top rookies perform.

I think this is reasonable though I feel like of his ERA is that low, his record will be a little better and I think barring injury he’ll get more at bats than than (maybe 200-250).

I could see him slowing as the season goes along. IIRC the season in Japan is shorter than the 162 games we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I think this is reasonable though I feel like of his ERA is that low, his record will be a little better and I think barring injury he’ll get more at bats than than (maybe 200-250).

I could see him slowing as the season goes along. IIRC the season in Japan is shorter than the 162 games we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Well, W/L record is more dependent upon luck & how the team does around him rather than the pitchers actual performance** so I just randomly tossed two numbers together. Feel free to add a couple wins or scratch a lose or two :D

**I remember when Shelby Miller put up a 3.02 ERA in 2015 but finished with a 5-17 record. Now, he was playing for a really bad Braves team so that's sort of an extreme example.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Just give Forest Whitely a call to hook you up with some of his dopeass unknown stimulants. I hear they get you going like the energizer bunny on speed.

Yeah, some good Vitamin C(rack) will help with that long distance travel :lol:

Did you want to be in our Ohtani Injury Pool? I thought you were a grade A playa hater.

silky_jordan.1487341345.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
One thing to consider, is that the Angels are going with a six man rotation.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I've been watching a ton of footage of him in the last week or so and I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing I did.

Did he ever hit a home run off a fastball in Japan? Every home run I saw was off a bad breaking ball or something straight at about 80 MPH. There's nothing wrong with hitting mistakes a long way but you have to be able to catch up to a good fastball too.

Hitting: .227/.300/.340 34/150, 5 2B, 4 HR

Pitching: 19 starts, ~110 innings, 7-5, 3.68 ERA, ~8.5 K/9, ~3.2 BB/9

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
1 for 1 with a RBI single and two walks, likely done for the day.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I've been watching a ton of footage of him in the last week or so and I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing I did.

Did he ever hit a home run off a fastball in Japan? Every home run I saw was off a bad breaking ball or something straight at about 80 MPH. There's nothing wrong with hitting mistakes a long way but you have to be able to catch up to a good fastball too.

Hitting: .227/.300/.340 34/150, 5 2B, 4 HR

Pitching: 19 starts, ~110 innings, 7-5, 3.68 ERA, ~8.5 K/9, ~3.2 BB/9

While I don't have an issue with your pitching projections, though I think he will be closer to 130 innings and a few more starts, do you really think he is a way below average hitter? Are you seeing something with his swing? You have him in negative value territory as a batter. From what I have read about his exit velocity and spin rates, I think you have his slugging way low.

The kid is the Tebow of Baseball....overrated

No.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
While I don't have an issue with your pitching projections, though I think he will be closer to 130 innings and a few more starts, do you really think he is a way below average hitter? Are you seeing something with his swing? You have him in negative value territory as a batter. From what I have read about his exit velocity and spin rates, I think you have his slugging way low.

No.

You seriously don’t think this kid is being over inflated? The same happened with Tanaka...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
You seriously don’t think this kid is being over inflated? The same happened with Tanaka...

He is being hyped like any exciting, young player entering a rookie season with the addition of being a two way player. I don't think he is overrated because I don't think he is rated at all, not even a sample size against MLB talent. I'm not seeing anybody here seriously saying he is a great player but I am seeing a lot of people saying he will suck. I for one am excited to see what kind of value a true two way player brings to the game and if that translates to excitement in the hobby I am for that too. Why not? What happened with Tanaka, besides jaded Yankees fans with unrealistic expectations? He has been in MLB for 4 seasons and during that time has arguably been a top 20 pitcher.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
He is being hyped like any exciting, young player entering a rookie season with the addition of being a two way player. I don't think he is overrated because I don't think he is rated at all, not even a sample size against MLB talent. I'm not seeing anybody here seriously saying he is a great player but I am seeing a lot of people saying he will suck. I for one am excited to see what kind of value a true two way player brings to the game and if that translates to excitement in the hobby I am for that too. Why not? What happened with Tanaka, besides jaded Yankees fans with unrealistic expectations? He has been in MLB for 4 seasons and during that time has arguably been a top 20 pitcher.

I agree, and I hope he does well, but let’s just see how this turns out...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts