Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Arrieta to Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
What do Phillies fans (and others) think of this? Will this keep them out of the basement? Maybe even help them become a contender?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
My initial reaction to this was no pitcher ever has been worth 30 million a year.

Good for Arrietta, he got PAID.

He’ll win 14 or so games a year for the next three years and the Philly fans will sh*t all over him because he’s making so much money and they’ll expect 26 wins with a .001 era.

I can see this getting ugly for him. But money.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Good move IMO.

And I'm well aware of his fading numbers and the risk that comes with it. But despite the HUGE cost, the downside is not that bad for three years, not the four or five years he wanted.

Probably helps to take pressure off Nola too...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Given where the Phils are now I rebuilding and the length of the deal, I’m not sure I really understand it.

I guess with baseball you aren’t really looking at tanking so if he brings people to the park and helps with the younger players, why not.

For the record I think his decline has been overstated. It’s definitely been real but I would not be surprised if he bounces back big time...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Given where the Phils are now I rebuilding and the length of the deal, I’m not sure I really understand it.

I guess with baseball you aren’t really looking at tanking so if he brings people to the park and helps with the younger players, why not.

For the record I think his decline has been overstated. It’s definitely been real but I would not be surprised if he bounces back big time...

This combined with the Santana deal, also for 3 years, tells me they decided to make a short-term push, maybe in light of the Nats losing salary.

And 3.55 sure is a better ERA than their other guys, except Nola...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

The Phillies have one of the better systems in baseball, tons of cash and a young nucleus of players now in the majors. The Phillies are far closer to being a competitive team than many people would think.3 years deals for veterans who not only can contribute but can also mentor the younger guys is what a team like this needs.

I think this move brings them closer to competing for a wildcard spot this year or next.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I think the phillies FA moves combined with that deep farm system coming along and a crap division adds up for them to be in wild card contention this year. The nationals try to find ways to collapse, the Mets have the worst doctors in all of sports and their players will get hurt, marlins are miserable and the braves are in a similar spot trying to find their way. A few kids come up with decent seasons and they will find themselves in the mix, might not.make it but they'll be playing for something in September

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Jake will be ok and the Phillies like him

I think he'll be better than okay, and baseball in general will love him. Every rotation needs a stud like Jake. The Dbacks, Rays, Padres...to name a few, could all benefit greatly from signing him, but Philly got him. That's a good move for them.

Will Medina be in the rotation on OD? Tirado in the pen on OD?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Also, thoughts on Elneiry Garcia and Jose Taveras? And can Jose Pujols still be an impact bat?

Pujols stinks.

Jury's still out on Elneiry and Jose.

However... I am somewhat vested.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Members online