Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jerry Sands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was browsing cards this morning and started looking at 2011 Topps Chrome gold refs for no particular reason. Among the listings was Jerry Sands, and I was curious because I hadn't heard that name in a long time. When I was exiting the prospecting game around 2010-11, he was a big name that came out of almost nowhere compared to other guys I'd been watching. I seem to recall he was one of the few names that stood out under the shadows of Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg that year. And he seems to have faded just as quickly. He once seemed to be on his way to stardom, or at least a solid Major League role, but nothing's gone to plan. Some real nice years in AA-AAA at 22-23, but never seemed to have adjusted to Major League pitching. The Dodgers traded him to the Red Sox as part of the big Adrian Gonzalez trade, but he was then flipped to Pittsburgh. After a year in their system, he moved on to Tampa, Cleveland, and ChiSox, reaching the Majors again with all 3. There's nothing in his bio about injuries or being a problem teammate or anything. But his stats each year are barely more than half a season's worth of games. He's still going, having fallen as far as independent ball before getting into the Giants' organization last year, where he apparently continued to consume AA pitching nicely.

All this is by way of saying that baseball is such a hard game, exponentially harder at each level, it seems. No one can absolutely predict future performance based on the past, or whatever tools one might have, or really anything. And like anything else in life, the now is fleeting and the future always, at best, uncertain. It's probably just the mood I woke up with on this chilly late-winter morning, but all of a sudden I feel for him. I am feeling how time is passing for my own self's expectations.

At 30, and a spring training invitee, he's probably not done yet. I hope he finds his way to the majors, and sticks around for a while. SFO is making some big changes this year, and maybe the former hot prospect turned journeyman can contribute something. I might have to buy that gold ref, too.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I've always wondered when he'd make a name for himself. Some guys struggle to get adequate playing time on any consistent basis, and he may be one.

I think a guy like him could produce more if given a full year to play, learn what he needs to, and build confidence. It's very tough for these guys to produce much when they never feel comfortable and secure on the team. There are exceptions, but most seem to struggle until given the proper chance over the course of 2-3 seasons.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
and yet so many cards of players like this still sit with overinflated asking prices for something they once might have become. I only mention this because I chase Dodger signatures and Sands can be had for under $2 on many certified cards, but some of the "better" cards always seem to sell (or at least be priced) stronger. Sentimental values I suppose, as it can't be future value to anyone other than set or team set builders.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Classic move, start a thread about hot prospect to drum up interest then list your stash on eBay and cash in!
I'm 100% not serious about that

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Members online