Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Toys R Us to close or sell all of its stores

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Kinda related to the card/collectible world

"Toy store chain Toys R Us is planning to sell or close all 800 of its U.S. stores, affecting as many as 33,000 jobs as the company winds down its operations after six decades, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The news comes six months after the retailer filed for bankruptcy. The company has struggled to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt — much of it dating to a 2005 leveraged buyout — and has had trouble finding a buyer. There were reports earlier this week that Toys R Us had stopped paying its suppliers, which include the country’s largest toymakers. On Wednesday, the company announced it would close all 100 of its U.K. stores. In the United States, the company told employees closures would likely occur over time, and not all at once, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations."

More than likely headed to liquidation at this point-Sad. Grew up as a Toys R Us kid and buying toys on Amazon is just not the same.

On the card side, any opinions on what this means for this year Toys R Us Purple Parallels?! They have been rare sights IMO compared to last few years, and still haven't seen one of my player.

Got to imagine the liquidation sales will make for some good card deals as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Last edited:

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Two in Fresno.....won't be the same....Loved walking down the row of toys...looking for toys for my Niece's kids and Nephew Kids! Best regards, David PS Target or Malls.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I remember when it started out as bargain town usa in Chicago in the 50's and 60's. I still remember in early 68 right after Christmas my Grandma took me there to look for after Christmas bargains,( she only lived a block away right across form a White Castle ) there was a new toy that just came out.
Hot Wheels. Man were they BOSS! But they were pricey. Those were the days! Will be sad to see them go. You can blame all this crap on smart phones.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Sad...there were no good kid stores where I lived so the biggest perk of vacation was to see a ToysRUs (even if to buy nothing at all) it was a magic place to be in as a child, I guess kids these days just look at endless toys online.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I remember going into these stores back in the 70's and the toys were stacked to the top. I was like WOW. I love going into these stores because as a kid I wanted it all. And now I walk in and think I can buy it all. lol Anyone remember kiddy City too?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I had read an article, on-line of course HA, that was stating how so many of these types of big stores will be closing down in the next few years. Has to do with their crazy loan amounts maturing after all these years and them not being able to pay them and filing bankruptcy.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
I remember Toys R Us having rows of '98 and '99 Donruss Preferred tins hanging and dreaming of opening them all in hopes of pulling a Precious Metals Griffey. Ironically, the one I own came from a collector who pulled one from...a Toys R Us tin.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
TRU became a thing after I was out of my childhood toy phase. Or maybe it was just not big in Philadelphia, where Kiddie City ruled. Loved Kiddie City. This is the best pic I could find, which just shows the sign on the left.
1482633928_bee4f125e0.jpg
But the building with the tall brick tower on the other side of the street is what stands out in my mind. Until I googled this picture I would have sworn KC was in that building. I was talking about it the other day when the news broke. My grandfather had taken me there to get Hot Wheels or something, and when we were in the checkout line I saw Star Wars action figures right there. Suddenly everything else fell away and I had to have that Han Solo figure.

TRU did eventually come into my area. I was in a TRU in late 1992 when they had a whole big bin filled with 92 Topps Traded sets for $6.99. I was so broke that I didn't think it was worth it. All those Nomar RCs, though. When I moved to Austin, I'd started to haunt TRUs for my fringe hobbies, like Hot Wheels and SW figures when they started making them again. But it was never "my" store. Sad that it's going, but inevitable, I guess, with the Amazonization of another retail space.

My wife and I went by a TRU last night, just to see if they had any deals. No sales yet, and, TBH, nothing in the card area I'd like to have bought. And all marked up so high! Blaster boxes that are $19.99 anywhere else were $26. A UD Hockey tin with I think 10 packs was $40. I had bought one for $30 at Target over Christmas. Magic bundles, which are $39.99 SRP, were $52. I understand having to compete with Amazon and Walmart, so you charge full SRP. But if you're going to tack on 30% for no reason, no wonder they are going down.

Last edited:

Bhk5150

May 3, 2013
And how about the Starting Line Ups and Headliners? I remember when all the values started going up on certain ones that there were half a dozen 40+ year olds (like me!), standing outside before the store opened on the days we found out they were being stocked and just about running to the area we knew they were in the store to search for what we were looking for. Funny as all get go because of all us middle aged folks acting like kids (again). I will miss that too.

Bhk5150

May 3, 2013
My Brother and I were talking about this the other day with the same flavor as your post; that it will be a shame that our children's kids will never know the joy of walking down the aisle a toy store. There is just something different about being hands on with a potential purchase. I mean, how many times have you walked into a toy store as a kid and told by your parents "pick just one"? And to walk the aisles mulling your options? Picking up that object and rolling it around in your hands and "feeling" if it was the one to take to Mom and Dad as the ultimate choice? The "Operation" board game or the Light Bright? Or the Wirley Bird? Decisions decisions.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
We went today and the discounts were like 10 percent on most with games five percent.

Basic hot wheels were "regular" priced at $1.49 and I don't ever recall them that high. Think they were inflated to offset the discount.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Flyers16

Aug 21, 2015
Ontario Canada
At least for now, the 80 Canadian TRU stores are remaining open. There’s been discussions about the Canadian TRU company being sold. Good news as it would be a shame to see another retailer close down in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts