Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF voting questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
With the departure of the Veterans Committee, will someone please explain to me how each era committee determines who is going to be on the ballot ? What era is this year and who will be on the ballot ? It seems to me these eras are too small and people will be elected just because they were the best of the leftovers. (Just to clear things up Dale Murphy isn’t leftovers. He should be in already). I just need some clarity . Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Thank you . After reading that it seems that the Today’s Game Era (1988-present) is being voted on during this year’s winter meetings. Who will be on the ballot ?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would assume anyone who played or played a role (executive, ump, etc) starting after 1988 and who never made the HOF during the 15 year run would qualify and from that pool, they may select a dozen or so to vote on.

I can't imagine that pool is that large at this point. Figure a guy's rookie season is 1988 and he plays 10 years and retires (1998) with the minimum playing years to be eligible for the HOF. Then he waits 5 years to make the ballot for the first time (2003) and remains on it for 15 years (2018). That guy is still on the ballot for his final vote this year, so I don't think any players could be in that group yet.

Does anyone know ?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I guess the period is when the player made their greatest impact, so it sounds like they need not have begun their career after that year (1988). For example, Mattingly may fall into that category it would seem, although I would argue that his greatest contribution came before 1988.

Members online

Latest posts