Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: how do you store/display?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I can’t get penny sleeves to fit in my Ultra Pro pockets anymore. This happened about ten years ago. The penny sleeves seem to now be made ever so wider. I also would like to know ebay sleeves will fit.

I haven't had any issues with Ultra Pro penny sleeves fitting in Ultra Pro Platinum sheets. They also fit just fine in the BCW sheets I use for putting sets in binders.

fthomas1000

Jan 2, 2015
With my pc only collecting frank thomas i sleeve and top load every card with the exception of frank specific sets. Such as star and spellbound. They are in an album. I have 2 5+ foot file cabinets that were used in a doctor's office that have spacers in each drawer. Perfect for my cards :)

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Most of my collection is in binders. I penny sleeve each card before it goes into Ultra Pro Platinum pages. Odd size stuff, proofs, etc. also tend to end up in appropriate sized pages in that player's binder(s).

RCs, rare/#'d stuff, and anything $3-$15 get a penny sleeve/topload/team bag.

$15+ gets a One Touch and team bag. Everything in a top load or one touch goes into 2,000 count shoe boxes.

Slabbed cards kind of get stuck in whatever box they'll fit in. I really need to buy some of the shoeboxes for Slabs.

As far as leaving space I try to do so because it's easier than rearranging after the fact.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I am the worst at organization, and I am really jealous of some of you guys and your collections!
I have about 10 binders of the commons (cards $10- $20 or less) and a majority of the better/rarer cards are sleeved and top loaded. The rest are in one-touches and single screwdowns mixed in, too, sorted by year in those super shoe boxes (3 rows), again organized by year. Other stuff is neatly cluttered around. My wife was nice enough to let me decorate the den, but her approval of how it looks is still important to me!

My binders at one time were sorted by year, with spaces, but that ended a dozen years ago. I have not taken the time to re-organize. If you asked me to find a common post-2000 Gwynn, say a 2005 Donruss champions Green foil... It would take me literally forever to find it, even though my checklist says I have two. Recently I wanted to find my Hit the Books Bookmarks, and took me days. I was trying to find my Cramer's Choice cards, took me a day. THere are some cards I have checked off, I remember seeing it or getting it, but I have not seen it since! Sad but true stories of an unorganized player collector!

That being said, it is fun to look through binders and not know what the next page will bring, so I have that going for me! I do look through my cards for enjoyment often!

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Binders by year, although some years are actually in 2. There are 3 more binders that won't fit on the shelf.
p1.png

Binders have parallels together like so, my favorite cards are at the front. I don't leave holes for needed cards, I rearrange things on the rare occasion I find something new.
p2.png

4 wall displays now. These are 50 card displays from Pennzoni Displays. 3 of them are custom made with 1 less shelf so that mag holders will fit vertically.
w1.png

w2.png

w3.png

Then I have a box with another ~80 cards in mag holders that lost their place on the walls due to something nicer being found.

mattglet

Aug 14, 2017
NH
I have about 2300 unique Cansecos, all stored in sleeve/toploaders - even high-value ones like my Red Crusade. They are all in 4 row boxes and stored in the exact order as they are shown on my website (which is what I use for display): http://www.mattscansecocollection.com/cards?own=1 I still need to scan a whole bunch, but it's a task that I absolutely hate. Someday I'll get to it.

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
I'm close to 2,000 unique Ichiro cards. I have all stored in penny sleeves, toploaders, and then in perfect fit sleeves. From there they are stored in a 3 row boxes that fit graded cards. These work extremely well as they are taller so you can put standard size cards and also graded if need be and also the rows are wider. Even though the perfect fit sleeves fit great they still bunch up/ rub against the dividers in standard shoe boxes but they won't in these even graded cards in the sleeves. In the boxes everything is sorted by year, product, and rarity which matches how I have everything organized on my website. One thing I'm in the process of doing is putting all cards possible into a toploader. One touches look great but I've heard some stories of card edges getting chipped over time not sure if that's just from having the cards in the wrong size mag or what. Also if it's a chrome card or one that has a lot of shine you need to put a penny sleeve over the card to protect the surface from getting scratched while in a mag and if it's got an auto it could be a nightmare. I just talked with a guy that didn't know about putting a penny sleeve on top of cards with auto's and has 4 cards that the auto's are scratched. I still like taking pictures of cards in mags but not with the top on or stored that way I know I'm anal...haha. These are the 3 row boxes I use they work perfect!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graded-Spo...olds-195-Cards-No-Cards-Included/273136153145

wthalin

Feb 28, 2018
Concord, CA
I'm close to 2,000 unique Ichiro cards. I have all stored in penny sleeves, toploaders, and then in perfect fit sleeves. From there they are stored in a 3 row boxes that fit graded cards. These work extremely well as they are taller so you can put standard size cards and also graded if need be and also the rows are wider. Even though the perfect fit sleeves fit great they still bunch up/ rub against the dividers in standard shoe boxes but they won't in these even graded cards in the sleeves. In the boxes everything is sorted by year, product, and rarity which matches how I have everything organized on my website. One thing I'm in the process of doing is putting all cards possible into a toploader. One touches look great but I've heard some stories of card edges getting chipped over time not sure if that's just from having the cards in the wrong size mag or what. Also if it's a chrome card or one that has a lot of shine you need to put a penny sleeve over the card to protect the surface from getting scratched while in a mag and if it's got an auto it could be a nightmare. I just talked with a guy that didn't know about putting a penny sleeve on top of cards with auto's and has 4 cards that the auto's are scratched. I still like taking pictures of cards in mags but not with the top on or stored that way I know I'm anal...haha. These are the 3 row boxes I use they work perfect!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graded-Spo...olds-195-Cards-No-Cards-Included/273136153145

Are you the Ichiro collector that was on a Beckett podcast episode? If not, you should look up that episode and listen. Pretty interesting interview with an Ichiro collector that an amazing collection.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Somewhat on topic, for those looking for shelf options that will hold the weight of binders over time Walmart’s website sells these larger “cube” storage options that display nice and the cube design holds enough weight that the shelves don’t appear that they will bow as easily as the longer shelves can and still be pretty affordable. I recently threw this one up, think it was around $125IMG_3879.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts