Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Ohtani for MVP/ROY/Cy Young/HOF Thread :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I watched most of his start today, first time I've seen him in action, much better than I expected, he looked real sharp.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
What do you all think?

ohtanismalldh.jpg

or a variation

ohtanismallp.jpg

Fordman

Very nice!

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
OK, is this better?

:)

Better, I think so.

It brings up a good question in my mind. Let's say there is a clear cut CY winner in the AL that is not Ohtani and his numbers as a hitter do not overshadow any position player for the MVP, which he does not add additional value as a defender except when he is pitching and I'm not sure the Angels let him attempt many steals, but has both a very productive season as a pitcher and as a batter. What numbers would put him in the running for MVP with his combined pitching value added, though he is not the CY winner? The MVP is widely considered to be for position players, with few exceptions. Has a pitcher ever won the MVP while also not winning the CY award?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It's a fun thought, if he plays well the full season I'm sure the voters will be all over the map. I think MVP will be real tough for him if for no other reason than the fact he shares the diamond with baseballs greatest player. It's like if two presidential candidates run for office against one person from the other party, they just split the parties votes and lose. Regardless, Showtime Ohtani is fun to watch right now, I hope he keeps it up.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
It's a fun thought, if he plays well the full season I'm sure the voters will be all over the map. I think MVP will be real tough for him if for no other reason than the fact he shares the diamond with baseballs greatest player. It's like if two presidential candidates run for office against one person from the other party, they just split the parties votes and lose. Regardless, Showtime Ohtani is fun to watch right now, I hope he keeps it up.

Tanaka dominated for how many starts? Then the new best became a virtual nobody overnight. Longevity determines greatness in this game. Ask Mark Fydrich.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think he will win ROY but that is it. He has started hot but the media (who votes) likes to pump and dump players. Aaron Judge last year probably would have won MVP if his performance was spread out evenly instead of a mini-slump in the second half. This of course just shows why writer/voters are irrational as a win in April counts to the standings at the same value as a win in August.

Not only will he regress from being human (his numbers are godly right now) he will regress from overuse and getting adjusted to. At this current pace he should tire considering the increased difficulties compared to a Japan season (both in games and travel distance) but also tire from the Angels increasing his use at some point. I doubt they thought they would be 9-3 tied with the Astros for 1st but this is a good chance to make a run.

Members online