User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on this situation

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for opinions on this situation

Abbreviated version: Seller lists a lot of 18 Dodger strat-o-matic cards. Description is a repeat of the title. No info added. Two photos of the lot, rubbed banded together. Top and bottom cards shown (neither are Garvey) are decent but not perfect shape. These cards are notorious for writing and wear (from playing the game).

I want the Garvey card. Would like a full set, but 18 cards is 2 short, so this is a random lot. I would prefer the single over an incomplete set so I send seller a message and this is the reply:

Me: Is there a Garvey and if so, what is the condition? Since the lot is not a complete set, would you might consider selling the Garvey single, if you have one?

Seller: What are you offering if I have the Garvey card?

What do you think when you see this reply?

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wants to squeeze you
    My bucket
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,054
    Mexican autographs: 126/126 and baseballs 113/126

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think itís a shady reply, at best

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offer him what you think the card is worth. He wants $10 for the lot, so offer what you think is fair. $3, $5? I don't know the value to provide any help. Shady response, sure. Looking to squeeze you, probably. Then again, maybe it's just an odd way to ask you what you are willing to pay for just the single. Doesn't hurt to throw out an offer a dollar or two below your high, then if he tries to squeeze you an extra dollar or two by countering, you're fine with it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually donít think itís all that shady. He knows you donít really want to drop $10 on the whole lot so he could just want to know if itís worth his time to dig it out and reduce the value of whatís left. Maybe anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course there is more following this reply. I thank those of you who took the time to respond. I thought it was very odd for the seller to say what would I pay IF he had Garvey. He still avoided the original 2 questions with his reply and certainly I could get the 18 cards for $10, but a smart buyer would make sure that Garvey was even 1 of the 18, right? There were two missing. Could have been the best 2 players.

My next response could possibly have been interpreted as somewhat sarcastic, but again the seller completely sidestepped my questions and left me wondering if he did have Garvey at all. Remember now that an eBay is seller is presumably trying to SELL their items. Why not make it as easy as possible to do that. If you don't provide the necessary information in your listing, then maybe take the time to thoroughly answer any questions that may arise.

My reply:

If you have it? You do or you don't. I would need to know the condition and it would be somewhere under the asking price of the lot. Do you have him in the lot and what condition is the card in? If you can answer those questions, I would be willing to make an offer.

I am still indicating a desire to buy here, but still need my 2 original questions answered first.

Further thoughts?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, time to out this one completely, as it looks like a lost cause.

Ebay seller: vinnys_gift_shop

Item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112934538934?ul_noapp=true

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 3.06.04 PM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	566.1 KB 
ID:	79219

Item title: "Strat-o-matic baseball 1976 Los Angeles Dodgers 18 cards"

Item description: "1976 LA Dodgers Strat-O-Matic cards". That is all that is written for a description.

Item images:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 3.17.56 PM.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	79220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 3.18.14 PM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	796.7 KB 
ID:	79221

I need the Garvey from this set, but I do buy the team sets as well. 18 cards doesn't make a full set, so buying a random lot makes much less sense, especially if I am not guaranteed the one card I really want. 2 cards are missing...which 2? However, I might still buy it if the Garvey is included, but I decide to see if maybe the guy will sell me just Garvey, again assuming it is included. If he had Garvey as part of the lot and balks on a single deal, then I'd buy the lot.

Here follows the interaction:

Me: Is there a Garvey and if so, what is the condition? Since the lot is not a complete set, would you might consider selling the Garvey single, if you have one?

Vinny: What are you offering if I have the Garvey card?

Me: If you have it? You do or you don't. I would need to know the condition and it would be somewhere under the asking price of the lot. Do you have him in the lot and what condition is the card in? If you can answer those questions, I would be willing to make an offer.

Vinny: OK I'm going to pass, its not worth the hassle. You're writing me like it s a ****ing thousand dollar item. Relax its $10.

Me: Yes, I would prefer the single over the lot, but I may have considered buying the lot at your asking price too. I simply needed a couple questions answered. Is it that hard to confirm a specific player is included when your description is lacking that information? I'd also like to know the condition, since your photo only shows two cards and these cards often tend to have wear and writing from when they were used as a game. The two you show look fine, but maybe others aren't as nice. Is there a Garvey in the 18 card lot? Is it the same condition as the two shown?

It would appear that I am now being ignored, as several hours have since passed. I can't even comfortably BIN the lot now, because I still don't know if there is a Garvey and the way this guys is acting, even if there is one and then I bought the lot, the asshat would probably remove the Garvey card and replace it with something else! I could risk a lowly $10 on this, but something tells me the risk is greater in this case.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 04-15-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Fixing attachments/photos

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's an odd interaction. Who knows, it could be a bunch of duplicates too. The vague title/description/interaction....I'd just pass on them and wait for one to show up. Spend your money with someone who wants it.

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or his reply was his answer.....don't have it ......but if I did what would u offer for it? Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

blueberry_12
     Big_Daddy_MC
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	strat.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	79265

I got you fam.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am constantly mystified by the constantly confusing standards of customer "service" so many Sellers have. I just don't get it...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    I am constantly mystified by the constantly confusing standards of customer "service" so many Sellers have. I just don't get it...
    It's like they don't view every legitimate question as being a potential sale. Similar to card shows when you come across the guy that acts like you're an inconvenience to him because you ask to see a particular card in his case. Another eBay seller with horrible communication is samantha.saints.sportscards. I asked a very easy question about the condition of an item that I'm interested in ($3000obo card!) and received absolutely no response. Fine...I can find other sellers with which to spend my money.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    It's like they don't view every legitimate question as being a potential sale. Similar to card shows when you come across the guy that acts like you're an inconvenience to him because you ask to see a particular card in his case. Another eBay seller with horrible communication is samantha.saints.sportscards. I asked a very easy question about the condition of an item that I'm interested in ($3000obo card!) and received absolutely no response. Fine...I can find other sellers with which to spend my money.
    Yep, yep.

Most card show dealers are also atrocious. They act completely uninterested, harumph! every potential question then spend the rest of the weekend complaining about lugging the same (usually way overpriced) cards around to every show. The bad ones really hurt their own business and the hobby in general.

As said, I just don't get it...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a show a few years ago to meet someone with some insanely high end Mariano's, so I had a fat stack of cash with me. A dealer had a 1960 Mantle that I was interested in and I asked to take a look at it. I handed it back to him and said "I'll think about it". He responded with "yeah sure, thanks for wasting my f-ing time". I almost responded, but thought better of it because it would not have gone well. About 20 minutes later my guy (Ricky Ruusso from youtube) shows up with the Mo's. Just for fun I went back to the a-hole dealers table and counted out $6500 into Mr. Russo's hand.

One of those super satisfying moments I'll always treasure. Plus I got some of the best Mariano's in my collection.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I am still watching it. May take a gamble, but may just wait patiently for someone who deserves the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealSOC View Post

Name:	strat.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	79265

I got you fam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast