Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have stats gone too far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
This was from a couple days ago...
IMG_4994.JPG

Do we care? Is 60 relevant anymore, or even mean anything in the scheme of things? Are you impressed? Talk about it

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's not a particularly meaningful or memorable stat, but it is a statement about how Judge has started his career. Pretty incredible.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Baseball is built on these anecdotes. Every day there’s something that’s never been seen or done before and that’s awesome. Thought this was gonna be a thread about advanced analytics!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's not the stats that are going too far. It's just that mobile internet makes it in your face all the time.

ESPN and the newspapers have been reporting these interesting factoids and stats since I was a kid in the '80s. And I have a couple books from back then that are completely dedicated to these data anecdotes and stats.

You just only noticed them when you physically went to watch TV or read the newspaper or book.

Today's tech has your phone beeping at every little thing these days, so it looks like this kind of stat-keeping is more prevailant. I love baseball stats and facts, so the more the better.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Are we all going to ignore that pic? :shock:

To answer your question: Yes, stats are less important when faced with a deranged psycho that has a knife. ;)

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
McGwire had 84 HR by his 25th birthday. Judge had 11 by his 25th bday.

"Fastest" doesn't mean too much in this case, IMHO.

Tony Conigliaro had 104 HR at age 22. Judge was still learning how to hold a bat at 22.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Youngest is youngest, but number of games is a valid way to say "fastest." If you are a prospect in high school, you might get drafted or you might get a free ride to Stanford. I think a lot of guys would take the latter option, especially if they're not a lock to be 1st-round, and especially if they're Stanford-smart. Debuting at 20 and getting a jump on stats is great, but debuting at 23 with a degree is fine, too.

But it's an old adage that you can find a record stat to match anyone who ever played. This is especially useful when putting forth HOF arguments for outlandish candidates. "Seymour Freebush should get in because he, Herb Pennock, and Steve Carlton are the only left-handers to go 8-0 on their birthdays in odd-number years when starting on the road."

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Haha, thats my wife and I from a Halloween long past

Did she survive? :lol: Ok, now with that out of the way I will give a real answer.

One quote from Dr. Lasker that gave me chills when I first read it "Of my 57 years I have applied at least 30 to forgetting most of what I learned or read, and since I succeeded in this I have acquired a certain ease and cheer which I should never again like to be without. Memory is too valuable to be stocked with trifles."

Lasker was decades before the computer age, so I'd only imagine what he would say in 2018. As already said every stat has to be put into context and I think this one has the two problems of players age and HR inflation. 80s baseball had much lower HR whereas last year was peak HR.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Hardcore horror fan here and I gotta say, I'm digging the customs! I'm more of a Freddy Krueger fanboy myself but Jason Voorhees is pretty badass too.

Did you dispose of the body well enough as to leave no trace evidence behind? Blood spatter can be tricky....so are wives ;)

As for your question, I love stats. The more the better I say! But I do agree that there are a lot of stats out there that are ultimately meaningless when measuring a players actual performance/abilities against the all time greats.

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Hardcore horror fan here and I gotta say, I'm digging the customs! I'm more of a Freddy Krueger fanboy myself but Jason Voorhees is pretty badass too.

Did you dispose of the body well enough as to leave no trace evidence behind? Blood spatter can be tricky....so are wives ;)

As for your question, I love stats. The more the better I say! But I do agree that there are a lot of stats out there that are ultimately meaningless when measuring a players actual performance/abilities against the all time greats.

I actually worked at the camp where the original Jason was filmed...watched it in one of the cabins it was filmed in (the one where they played strip monopoly) so he takes the cake for me.

I still wonder why 60 was chosen as the measuring point tho. 49 was the rookie record but obviously Judge broke that. 60 for Ruth? But he’s not mentioned in the stat. It just seems arbitrary to me, just a random number to make a stat

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I actually worked at the camp where the original Jason was filmed...watched it in one of the cabins it was filmed in (the one where they played strip monopoly) so he takes the cake for me.

I still wonder why 60 was chosen as the measuring point tho. 49 was the rookie record but obviously Judge broke that. 60 for Ruth? But he’s not mentioned in the stat. It just seems arbitrary to me, just a random number to make a stat

Oh hell yeah! If I had gotten a chance to watch it from one of the actual cabins it was filmed in I'd be a hardcore Jason fan too. An experience like that would have been a dream come true for me.

I completely agree that fastest to 60 HR seems like a completely random stat & they love to do that with the young stars of the game today. For the most part it's just a marketing tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts