Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Talking point - no hitters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Got a pop up from mlb at bat earlier asking what’s the worst way to lose a no hitter? Thought it would be a fun topic to debate here. I have my thoughts but I’d love to hear some of yours first.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Got a pop up from mlb at bat earlier asking what’s the worst way to lose a no hitter? Thought it would be a fun topic to debate here. I have my thoughts but I’d love to hear some of yours first.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Walk-off home run to lose the game in the bottom of the 9th, game 7 of the World Series seems rough.

eddiejr

Nov 8, 2015
I think the worst way is to get pulled from the game before you've had a chance to get one. If a guy is pitching a no-no let him pitch until he gives up a hit! I don't care if he is (or will be) over 100, 110, 120 pitches. Let him have a chance to make history!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If it was just a regular game, I think a bunt hit would piss off the pitcher the most.

That is a chicken **** answer! ;)

But spot on. Anytime it's happened, it's clearly ticked off the pitcher who was tossing the no-no at the time of the bunt hit.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
If it was just a regular game, I think a bunt hit would piss off the pitcher the most.
That's a move that will get you plunked HARD in your next AB. "I wouldn't dig in if I was you...I don't know where it's gonna go...swear to God."

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Bryce Harper's broken bat homer the other day comes to mind. Imagine shearing the guy off at the knuckles but he still manages to put it out, and that being the only hit.

The Galaragga one is probably the worst. He literally had it in every way but the one that counts, the umpire's ruling, and everyone knew it, except that umpire. But I always say guarantees greater notoriety for Galaragga, more than if he had one in the books, because people will always bring him up, and commend the classy way he and the ump handled it afterwards.

I think the no-hitters where the pitcher lost are fascinating. I watched Andy Hawkins throw a no-hitter but lose the game thanks to some Bad News Yankees defense behind him. Then they took the no-hitter away from him by changing the definition of "no-hitter." talk about salt in the wound.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Just mentioned about it, but didn't a lot of guys "lose" no-hitters because of a recent ruling by the MLB office?

"Took away" some no-nos away either because of the game result or not pitching in the Bottom of the 9th?

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I seem to remember that in the 90's or early 2000's, a Royals pitcher had a no-hitter in the 9th, gave up a solo HR, and ended up losing the game 1-0. If anyone can confirm the pitcher and date, I'm curious to know who it was.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Wasn't Royals (and nothing I could find in a google search) but there was Rich Hill in Dodger blue instead of Royal Blue that took a no-hitter into the 10th inning in August 2017 and lost the no-hitter and the game on one swing with a Josh Harrison Pirates walkoff homer.