Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 20 players and their key rookie cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I decided to take the list of top players that ESPN put out and look at the prices on their key rookie cards. I thought it might be interesting to look over.

Below are the results, but there were a few things I noticed:
- The only guy on this list who I think is clearly not on a HOF trajectory is Charlie Blackmon, and his BC Auto is definitely the cheapest
- Altuve is the only guy on the list without a definitive autograph card. The parallels of his BC rookie sell really well though
- The Votto card is not his rookie autograph (his RC cards are in 2002 BC) but still does pretty well
- The vast majority of these players are really young
- Strasburg suffers from not having a clear RC card. His first Bowman Auto was a regular Bowman and then he had 2 BC Auto's the same season. None sell particularly well.
- Max Scherzer and Corey Kluber don't have BC Auto's. Their Elite RC Auto's don't get near the attention that BC Auto's get. (To be fair, both are also older and their path too stardom has been less direct than some of the others

Player ----------------- Card --------------- Price
1. Mike Trout --- 2009 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $2,800
2. Clayton Kershaw --- 2006 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $625
3. Jose Altuve --- 2010 Bowman Chrome --- $15
4. Max Scherzer --- 2007 Donruss Elite Auto --- $65
5. Bryce Harper --- 2011 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $825
6. Corey Kluber --- 2007 Donruss Elite Auto --- $35
7. Nolan Arenado --- 2010 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $210
8. Chris Sale --- 2010 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $70
9. Joey Votto --- 2004 Bowman Signs of the Future Auto --- $175
10. Carlos Correa --- 2013 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $425
11. Paul Goldschmidt --- 2011 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $140
12. Kris Bryant --- 2013 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $650
13 Giancarlo Stanton --- 2008 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $475
14. Francisco Lindor --- 2011 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $175
15. Manny Machado --- 2010 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $300
16. Aaron Judge --- 2013 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $625
17. Mookie Betts --- 2014 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $170
18. Charlie Blackmon --- 2009 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $45
19. Stephen Strasburg --- 2010 Bowman Auto/Chrome Auto --- $60
20. Corey Seager --- 2012 Bowman Chrome Auto --- $200

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thought this would generate more some conversation...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Thanks for reminding me I sold my 2011 Chromes too early. And I had a '09 Sterling Trout auto that I can't say how low I sold it for.

Also didn't realize that Stras stuff was still that low.

Thanks for a great list, very cool!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for reminding me I sold my 2011 Chromes too early. And I had a '09 Sterling Trout auto that I can't say how low I sold it for.

Also didn't realize that Stras stuff was still that low.

Thanks for a great list, very cool!

With any sort of "investing," a smart strategy will almost always mean selling too early on guys like Trout. Because 99.99% of players are not Trout, and waiting and hoping that a player becomes one of the greatest of all-time is a great way to lose your shirt.

IMO Strasburg suffers from not having a clear #1 RC Auto card. There's multiple Bowman Chrome Auto's from 2010, and neither was the first Bowman auto from that season.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
With any sort of "investing," a smart strategy will almost always mean selling too early on guys like Trout. Because 99.99% of players are not Trout, and waiting and hoping that a player becomes one of the greatest of all-time is a great way to lose your shirt.

IMO Strasburg suffers from not having a clear #1 RC Auto card. There's multiple Bowman Chrome Auto's from 2010, and neither was the first Bowman auto from that season.

Still doesn't make the Trout sale hurt any less. LOL

Heck, I probably still have some Monteros and LaPortas sitting around...

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Amazing how "cheap" a Kershaw BC is considering he's the best pitcher of a generation (outside of Phil Bickford of course).

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

rcgdodge

Sep 29, 2014
This is a nice list!

I've been getting Topps Flagship rookies of the key players, much easier on the wallet.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
No Albert Pujols....guess now that he into the final years.....he no longer top 20....But his rookie BC is top of line!! Best regards, David

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
No Albert Pujols....guess now that he into the final years.....he no longer top 20....But his rookie BC is top of line!! Best regards, David

I took the top 20 players for this season as per the ESPN list. Pujols is an all-time great, but not this year.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
This is a nice list!

I've been getting Topps Flagship rookies of the key players, much easier on the wallet.

I started a good discussion about Topps Black RCs over on Blowout a couple of months ago. Lots of good talk in it. I'd rank any players Topps Black RC as their 2nd best card next to their 1st Bowman Chrome color autographs. If you're unfamiliar with them - Kershaw Topps Black RCs sell well north of $1k, and a Jose Altuve BGS 9 just sold 2 days ago for $2,146.21!:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps...OKIE-RC-60-US132-BGS-9-MINT-PWCC/401519457132

I'd argue certain players have a more desirable non-auto. RC parallel. I'd much rather own a 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractor of Votto than the 2004 auto.

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
You need to get yourself one, they are climbing. I’ve had mine for probably six years or so and it was dirt cheap at the time.

That member only spends money on underrated Braves prospects who will likely make it to the HOF

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

How kind of you but I'm not strictly a Braves guy. I don't discriminate, I'll collect rookie/prospect autos of any potential HOF'er, despite the teams they play for and I actually really do want a nice Scherzer rookie auto. You'd be hard pressed to find many pitchers who have been as dominant as him since 2013. Trading him was one of the D-Backs worst mistakes ever.

Members online