Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett's Marketplace is aids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
They do need to move away from the printed magazine as a price guide. Prices for today's cards are too fluid and quite often change a lot by the time it is delivered. They should still review new products and talk more about the changes in the industry, if they are going to still print.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Got to chime in again. The OP's original point about Beckett's shipping costs is spot on. It's unfortunate that the title of this thread got onto our mailing list, but on the other hand maybe (yeah maybe) someone at Beckett might take notice and do something about the gouging with shipping costs that they allow/encourage on their website. Let me give one concrete example.

2002 UD Honor Roll Robbie Alomar #42 Silver / 100 - for sale by Burbank
Ebay = $5.00 for the card and $2.99 shipping
Beckett = $5.00 for the card and $4.25 shipping (think about that for a minute - $4.25 to safely ship one thin piece of cardboard? Come on).
Same card, same seller, and one has a 42% higher shipping cost. WTF.

In this case, I knew that Burbank lists their cards first on Beckett, then later on Ebay. So I just waited until it appeared on Ebay and bought it. No way in hell I was going to sponsor and subsidize this crap from Beckett's site. And also - Beckett makes you log in, then go through like 3 screens, before you can even see what the shipping cost will be. Every time I see a card I want on Beckett I will suck it up and do this, but when I get to the shipping cost, 75% of the time I will back out and say f*ck it. I will wait for it to appear on Ebay. And if I miss out on the card, so be it. End of rant :)

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Got to chime in again. The OP's original point about Beckett's shipping costs is spot on. It's unfortunate that the title of this thread got onto our mailing list, but on the other hand maybe (yeah maybe) someone at Beckett might take notice and do something about the gouging with shipping costs that they allow/encourage on their website. Let me give one concrete example.

2002 UD Honor Roll Robbie Alomar #42 Silver / 100 - for sale by Burbank
Ebay = $5.00 for the card and $2.99 shipping
Beckett = $5.00 for the card and $4.25 shipping (think about that for a minute - $4.25 to safely ship one thin piece of cardboard? Come on).
Same card, same seller, and one has a 42% higher shipping cost. WTF.

In this case, I knew that Burbank lists their cards first on Beckett, then later on Ebay. So I just waited until it appeared on Ebay and bought it. No way in hell I was going to sponsor and subsidize this crap from Beckett's site. And also - Beckett makes you log in, then go through like 3 screens, before you can even see what the shipping cost will be. Every time I see a card I want on Beckett I will suck it up and do this, but when I get to the shipping cost, 75% of the time I will back out and say f*ck it. I will wait for it to appear on Ebay. And if I miss out on the card, so be it. End of rant :)

Excuse my ignorance on this but where is the card shipped from? Directly from the seller or is the Beckett Marketplace shipping the cards?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's funny and somewhat related, I see cards pop up on eBay that are being sold on COMC. They are priced higher on eBay (presumably to cover fees). I see one I want, I jump over to COMC and buy it directly. i'M assuming they don't care either way as long as the card sells, so eBay is just another way to advertise COMC and if they sell a few cards along the way, even better.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I have been frustrated, too, with some of the shipping costs on Beckett Marketplace, but here are a couple of points:

1. Every year I find about four deals that are so good I don't care what the shipping is.
2. Several sellers have a free shipping option with a threshold that's not unreasonable. I just recently got free shipping with a $25 order, I believe.

I also swear that some sellers actually have more reasonable shipping prices, but maybe I'm wrong.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Directly from the seller

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

...which doesn't make it a Beckett Aids issue - more of an individual seller Syphilis issue, right?

Some eBay sellers gouge on shipping too, but is that eBay's fault?

COMC and Sportslots are probably the best bet, but when buying one or two lower end cards, there really are no "perfect" platforms.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Beckett was at one time the source, i am a older collector and before ebay Some cards back in the day were almost impossible to find. Except for shows. High shipping sucks, but if i want the card, its just part of the price of the card to me.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
...which doesn't make it a Beckett Aids issue - more of an individual seller Syphilis issue, right?

Some eBay sellers gouge on shipping too, but is that eBay's fault?

COMC and Sportslots are probably the best bet, but when buying one or two lower end cards, there really are no "perfect" platforms.

Maybe, although on eBay the seller names his price for shipping. I feel like Beckett’s website uses some formula to determine the shipping cost without seller input. Last I checked the website could say shipping was $4.25 and the seller might still send it in a PWE. The sellers weren’t able to set their own terms even though they were shipping the cards. That was an issue several years ago, again not sure if that’s changed

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So I found a card I wanted on Beckett today. Price is $8.00, which is fair. So I logged into the website and started going through the purchase process, but with a sense of impending dread as I neared the shipping options page. I was hoping the shipping cost would be reasonable, but instead what I saw was a new record for gouging. The least expensive option was USPS uninsured for $5.75!

The irony is that if the shipping charge was say $2.75, I would have easily paid $11.00 for this card, resulting in the same total of $13.75. It's not a common card and I've been looking for it for a while. But we all have to draw our lines somewhere, and I am just not "flexible" enough to enable this kind of blatant ripoff. It's not like the card is coming from Barrow Alaska either, it's from NY State. I buy cards from sellers back east all the time, even through Beckett on rare occasion, and somehow they manage to stay in business without this crap.

But - since Beckett lists contact info for their sellers, I called and left a message to ask about this shipping charge. If the seller calls me back and sheds any light on how shipping is calculated, I'll let you know.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If this ends up as the subject line of the newsletter this week I'm burning the website down.

Proofread the newsletter before it goes out?

IMHO, Beckett shipping rates are probably set by individual sellers (not set by Beckett that applies to all their sellers) and reflect not only actual shipping costs but whatever fees the sellers have in order to list/sell cards on the Beckett marketplace.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Not everybody uses paypal to ship.. you go to the post office, you will be paying at least $3.50 to ship a card.. So if someone is asking $4 it's not out scope..

This isn't the 80's where s&h was included.. so many things have changed with the e-markets..

You go to a physical card shop, you are paying for gas to get there.. sometimes parking, tolls, etc.. do you factor in those costs when you are paying $0.50 for that card.

This. I'm in the process of dumping ANYTHING worth $$$. Ebay, USPS and Canada Post have pretty well killed the sportscard market between the US & Canada online. Now to ship a bubble mailer from Canada it's automatic $6, and same US to Canada. You can work around it with PWE's. What really gets my goat is USPS employees REFUSING to ship them without the Xpress Post opion for commons.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
This. I'm in the process of dumping ANYTHING worth $$$. Ebay, USPS and Canada Post have pretty well killed the sportscard market between the US & Canada online. Now to ship a bubble mailer from Canada it's automatic $6, and same US to Canada. You can work around it with PWE's. What really gets my goat is USPS employees REFUSING to ship them without the Xpress Post opion for commons.
Maybe u should sell a valuable lot to your favorite American who is half Mexican to celebrate the victory over Germany

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Latest posts