Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You're an 18 year old kid just drafted in the third round as a light hitting middle infielder.

You have two paths in front of you.

1. GUARANTEED to play 10 years in the majors bouncing between utility and starter

2. Unknown future.

Which do you take?

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Give me the life in the majors. Minimum salary being 650K and the chance to play baseball for ten years of your life and retire a happy man. Probably hook up with several teams as a coach and continue to make your living in an occupation most only dream about. Yeah give me the majors.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I assume you mean unknown future to be something like the first pick, no MLB time (worst case) or become a star (best case). Essentially a gamble.

I think I would probably consider the guarantee pretty seriously. Minimum salary what it is these days and all, you could still play a decent length, have some great experiences and make some decent coin. As a light hitting infielder, you probably can't do much better than that anyway.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Considering the low percentage of minor leaguers who even get to the Beckett semistars list:

I'd take #1 all day, 8 days a week...

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
10 years, no brainer. Guaranteed $7-8M earnings, and as previously mentioned you can network and probably end up with a career baseball or baseball broadcasting job if you want after retirement or use some of your money and go to school for a skill to do whatever you want to after baseball.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
The unknow future......means going to college and getting 2 or 3 years in college and then head for the Majors.......Aaron Judge ...who hit 52 home runs last year was drafted while at Fresno State.....but stayed a few years and then headed to the majors!! Best regards, David

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
It's easy to say when you're not in that situation but for me the guarantee is the only choice. I will say that I completely understand why so many 18 year old kids gamble on themselves. At that age you feel invincible, now that I'm twice that age the reality is all to apparent. Even still though, on totally different levels of money if someone told me I could take 10 years at my current salary plus average yearly raises and the like or roll the dice and maybe get promoted a few times and make double what I do now, or potentially needing to find a new job by 2019, I'm still taking the guarantee.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
You're an 18 year old kid just drafted in the third round as a light hitting middle infielder.

You have two paths in front of you.

1. GUARANTEED to play 10 years in the majors bouncing between utility and starter

2. Unknown future.

Which do you take?

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

No 1 for sure. You make decent bank over that 10 years, qualify for MLB's pension which with a 4-5 million nest egg is comfortable living money, healthcare for life, etc. plus the chance to network and possibly end up coaching, broadcasting, whatever.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
This question is a little odd as posed, because it's MLB against the field of human possibility, but if you're drafted in the 3rd round, at the very leasy, chances are you have quite a few college options, after which you may or may not have a) raised your draft position and b) gotten an education. Yes there is c) getting injured and losing the opportunity for ball, but you've got the fallback of learnin'. You and your roommates could create a startup to disrupt a $200 billion dollar industry, which seems to be what all the kids are doing these days.

That said, guaranteed MLBer for a decade opens up lots of other opportunities on top of netting a few million dollars. Easy choice.

Members online