Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cost of Wax Packs 25 Years Ago

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
In the late 80s/early 90s, I remember going to card shops and looking at the prices of wax packs. From what I recall (if memory serves) is this:

1986 Donruss $10
1987 Donruss $5
1987 Fleer $7

Does anyone else remember how much packs of the older wax was going for?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
None of the shops I went to 25 years ago had any old wax. Of those 3, two are still around today, and it's still pretty much the same. Anything with any value at all has long since been sold.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The first set I remember going way up very soon after release was 1990 Leaf I and II.

I think they went from $2.50 per pack to $7 and $10 pretty darn quick...

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
1993 Topps Finest (first chrome cards) $20.00 per pack. Best regards, David PS first Refractor/rainbow colors!

I remember saving to buy a few packs of this when they were released; $15/pack I think. "Refractor? What's a refractor?" were my exact words to the guy in the card shop. lol
One pack I bought when my grandma and I were out and about. It was hot that day and I opened the pack in the cool A/C of the car...pulled a Frank Thomas AS, so I was happy but worried that the card was going to melt!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I remember saving to buy a few packs of this when they were released; $15/pack I think. "Refractor? What's a refractor?" were my exact words to the guy in the card shop. lol

"It's really shiny" was always the response I got. They didn't know either, but they had to say something.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
"It's really shiny" was always the response I got. They didn't know either, but they had to say something.

Haha - I wonder how people would describe a refractor nowadays if one didn't exist. It...uh..ermm....looks like a glowing rainbow from heaven?!

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Haha - I wonder how people would describe a refractor nowadays if one didn't exist. It...uh..ermm....looks like a glowing rainbow from heaven?!

In the light or sunlight........no light...it looks darker than the other cards. Best regards, David PS pulled a Piazza refractor...sold it for over $300.00. Best regards, David

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

In my family (me being the only collector with two non-collectors)... "Shiney" is chrome card, "extra shiney" or "chrome with a rainbow shine" are how I talk about refractors to them.

As for the rest of this thread, no card shop pricing but Walgreen's in the mid 80's - 1984 and 1985 Topps baseball were 50 cents a pack. I do remember a 1989 local card show where Upper Deck packs were sold and vividly remember $1 price tag sticker on each pack at one of the dealers at the show and wondered if they were really worth just under double the price of the other brands single packs i was purchasing from drug stores or average price per pack when purchased as a box at price club.

Members online