Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Majors and Minors Sports Card Market Podcast Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Since this will be like 90% baseball I'm throwing it here.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/majors-and-minors-a-sports-card-market-report/id1380008435

Episode 1 Notes

Contenders or Pretenders May 1st 2018
Contenders

Mookie Betts is absolutely on fire. Seriously someone check that guys bat. Raw chrome autograph cards are now selling for about $100 more than two weeks ago. $250 to $350 is the current gain and 3 homer days certainly don’t hurt matters.

Ronald Acuna had his MLB call up with an energizing and contending Braves fan base buying his cards. Everything saw a significant value bump. BGS 9.5 Chrome autos saw a rise from $650 to $800 after his hot start.

Juan Soto is off to a blistering pace in Hagerstown and will probably see A+ Potomac very soon. Is a 1.300 OPS good? The 19 year old figures to see AA pitching this year so let’s see how he responds. Right now his BGS 9.5 chrome autographs are up to $250 from $175.

Pretenders

Ozzie Albies can’t sustain his current level of production. He’s going to cool off especially in the power department. Listen I love this guy long and short run. I think next year he’s in the conversation for the best second baseman in the game. He’s not going to hit 40 home runs this year as a projection might indicate. His cards are all the way up right now, I’d sell and rebuy when they fall back down a bit if you feel so inclined.

Shohei Othani has been a major shot in the arm for the economy of the hobby. Chrome autographs are selling for insane rates with the superfractor expected to sell for near $100,000. Anytime the IRS has to get involved with a single modern card sale things are out of hand. I’m a fan of the guy. He’s good, he might be great. No one is a 100k superfractor good. Sell the autographs now and don’t look back.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Episode 2 Notes

Pitchers or Belly-Itchers May 7th 2018
Pitchers

Walker Buehler: Dave Roberts has seen the light and installed Walker as a part of the rotation for the foreseeable future. His part of the combined no hitter in Mexico made this seem like the biggest no brainier in baseball. The M.A.S.H. unit that is the Dodger pitching staff was also a factor. Four cards to chase. #1 2015 bowman draft #2 2018 Topps Heritage Real One Auto #3 2018 bowman #4 2015 Bowman Sterling. If getting the 2015 issues look for one with a clean autograph because it seems like he used one of those staedler lumocolors that was perpetually running out of ink. Everything is WAY up for Walker after that performance. Look to pay about 150% of the old prices of April. 2015 draft autographs have hit the $90 mark and still have a CRAZY amount of room to grow.

Domingo German: Sometimes it’s really fun to watch something happen in baseball an then flip over to eBay and watch literally every card of the guy get it’s BIN hit. This happened with Domingo’s stellar debut over the weekend. Cards that were $10 the day before it are now $50 and will probably climb a bit higher this week as supply dries up. Do your homework though because it might be a fluke, baseball is weird like that. At the very minimum pull him out of your junk boxes and get them ready to list. A deeper dive into his minor league numbers says he might still be a steal at these prices. He was quietly dominant in 2017 and might be one of those guys who manages to put it all together.

Gleyber Torres: The German game wasn’t the German game for very long. This one had two events that led to a market reaction as Gleyber walked off. Sometimes even when you know it’s coming it still surprises you. Gleyber being good is certainly no surprise for anyone following him or collectors. His first chrome auto in a Yankee uniform saw a climb from $80 to $130 with the walk off.

Belly-Ithcers

2018 Bowman autographs: In hindsight bubbles are easy to see. The burst leaves shattered dreams in their wake that are obvious to anyone looking. I kinda feel like Steve Carell’s character in “The Big Short” when I’m talking about the absolutely insane prices of 2018 Bowman. There is no way this trend can continue, simply not enough singles money out there. Don’t get caught holding the bag.

Dansby Swanson: As much as it hurts me to say this, it’s time to give up on one of my larger bags. I’ve got a lot of Dansby stuff as I saw his acquisition as a blessing to a program that desperately needed fresh air. He’s great defensively and will be in the majors a really long time but I don’t ever see him doing anything with the bat that sets him apart. It’s time to sell braves fans.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't typically listen to podcast so I don't have an app for it but I'll download stitcher. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

His 2009 BC auto seems to go up in value every single year. I had no idea raw base autos & BGS 9/PSA 9 had reached the $4-5k range but considering the fact they are selling for that much $400k sounds right (supers generally go for x100 base autos). Would I ever spend so much on a baseball card? Certainly not. But then again, I'm not rich and I imagine you've got to be rich in order to spend the kind of cash superfractor autos of the elite modern day superstars tend to go for.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
New Episode

Pros

Francisco Lindor: Market is up. Way up. It’s up on anything that has Lindor’s face on it. Most experts thought Lindor would be a good major league short stop. He would hit for average, steal bases and play stellar defense. That kind of profile makes MLB all star games regularly. This guy that he has morphed into is something different. No one saw this kind of power coming from him. His .615 slugging percentage is good for fourth place in the AL behind Betts, Trout and Machado. Three great names to be peers with especially when you figure in the premium that Lindor’s glove carries.

Austin Riley: Look, I promise this isn’t an Atlanta Braves homer podcast. I make no secret that I’m a life long braves fan and I’ve already had two of them on this very young podcast already. Albies and Acuna deserved their spots. Dansby Swanson looked great but then slumped his way to the DL before I decided it was time to waive the white flag. Austin Riley has been among the most impressive of minor league power hitters this season. 6 homers in 17 games at AA earned him a promotion. In Sunday’s game he hit 3 out wiht 8 rbi to turn heads even further. His 2015 Chrome Refractors in BGS 9.5 are approaching the $250 mark. Two months ago I bought one for $80 in a Facebook group.

The 2018 National Sports Card Collector Convention: It’s the greatest event in our hobby every year. You’ve got 3 months left to plan. Sounds like a lot of time but it’s not. Good thing it’s in Cleveland this year because although there isn’t a lot to do outside of the show, it’s the cheapest NSCC city to visit.

2018 Bowman Mega Boxes at Target. These things were fire last year due to the only Othani card in circulation. The images from the preview set look great and these things should be among the best wax buys in sports cards when they are on retail shelves. Good luck finding them. I like the plan of buying them and putting them back in your closet sealed.

Cons

Robinson Cano: According to Rosenthal Robbie is gone for 80 games. Much worse is the lingering stigma that accompanies a hall of fame career with performance enhancing drugs. The substance he took is Furosemide a diuretic used to mask PED’s. He’s claiming innocent but there is only one reason why you take that.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Assets and Liabilities May 22nd 2018
Assets

Juan Soto (again): Juan has been on the podcast before and with his call up and homer on his first MLB pitch he makes another appearance. Graded gems hit the $450 mark and if the Nationals start being the Nationals again they could go even higher. This hype train has no breaks.

Chris Paddack: Chris has dominated this year. 21 innings 2 walks and 36 strike outs. The Padres should promote this man immediately. This is a case of a pitcher having Tommy John surgery and then working out like an animal in his rehab. He came back stronger than ever and could give McKenzie Gore a push for top arm honors in the stacked Padres system. Base chrome autos went from basically nothing to $15-$20 since the start of the system.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr: Son of the greatest bad ball hitter ever turns around pitches with the same ferocity. A week where he went .393/.414/.714 seems normal for him. Buyers are now adjusting to him being the best player in the minors now that Ron Acuna has been promoted to the majors. A BGS 9.5 Bowman Chrome sold for an eye popping, record breaking (base chrome gem, minor league player) $800.

Liabilities

Austin Hays: One of the biggest power bats in the minors had a shoulder injury. This dipped chrome autographs to the $40 range. They are an exceptional buy at that price. The Orioles aren’t playing meaningful ball right now and probably won’t play a single game that matters this season. This big masher could get the call up to try out the game at the major league level if he does well following the injury. Yes, I know I have him in the liabilities but if you weather the storm or buy more you should be rewarded.

Jeter Downs: He’s not having a bad season. He’s playing acceptable defense at short stop with a .800 ops. The issue is that this years crop has had guys doing extraordinary thing and all the prospecting money goes to their cards. Jeter is a fine prospect and at $17 his chrome autographs are a hell of a deal.

Members online

No members online now.