Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Message from ebay today...what are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Dear Kevin,

eBay supports tax policy that is fair to entrepreneurs, artisans, and small businesses, which are vital to the American economy, and we oppose efforts to impose taxes that would harm these businesses. Millions of people across the country sell on the eBay marketplace, and there has never been a more critical time to stand against new and unfair Internet taxes.

The U.S. Supreme Court will make a decision in the coming weeks that could give states the right to tax every small business on the Internet.

The issue is just as urgent on Capitol Hill, as states, shopping centers, and large retailers lobby hard to increase taxes on small businesses and their online customers. When the Supreme Court makes its decision, it will bring together the various threads on the issue of Internet sales tax.

Our leaders in Washington, D.C., and in state capitals across America need to know how you feel about these new and harmful Internet tax burdens. Please digitally sign this petition to show political leaders that you stand with us against these new taxes. It should take less than three minutes. We'll deliver your signatures to President Trump, key members of Congress, and select state governors.

Rest assured that eBay will continue to fight this battle on behalf of all of our valued customers. Thank you for taking a stand for millions of small businesses across the America.

Sincerely,

Scott Cutler
SVP, Americas Marketplace
eBay

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
no real opinion as to the message but i do know that they have been fighting certain aspects of tax legislation (primarily the possible changes to the current laws that would require all sellers to pay sales taxes to the location of the buyer and based on the tax rates in that location) and they have been posting similar announcements on site and sending out similar e-mails to sellers several times a year going back for AT LEAST a decade now....

Last edited:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
My only issue is that all this new tax money isn't going to do anything.

It will just get thrown on the government pile and we will corporately spend and spend and spend and not accomplish a damn thing.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
If the taxes go through for ebay sellers/buyers, will they start doing the same thing for card shows, conventions, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist?

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
First the Supreme Court has to make a decision first......then if they decide that the state can tax businesses on ebay.......Hopefully, it will be a small tax passed on to buyers to help the business with the tax.......so if they .....the state says 3% on business tax.....the business might pass a 1% tax onto the buyers. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Best regards, David

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
New tax is not going to do anything?? Taxes run this government........the last 8 years government departments have been unfunded with cut backs....I'm glad to be retired and not have work three to four different jobs for very little pay and have the threats of more cuts hanging over us. Best regards, David

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
New tax is not going to do anything?? Taxes run this government........the last 8 years government departments have been unfunded with cut backs....I'm glad to be retired and not have work three to four different jobs for very little pay and have the threats of more cuts hanging over us. Best regards, David

The issue isn’t income, it’s expenditures.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
My thought is that the internet has been one giant tax loophole, it probably does need to fall under the same regulation that a brick and mortar does. I was certainly not around but I would imagine when state sales tax was first started everyone probably thought it would be the end of everything. I don't see this as a big deal. If I buy something on eBay from someone who lives in Connecticut and it has the same 6.35% tax that it would if I went into a store I don't see that as a huge problem.

Jul 22, 2016

I think what was being said was the extra money wouldn’t accomplish anything. The government keeps getting more and more money yet want more not need more. When there is funding to study the mating of the tsetse fly we have spending problems. If taxes were put to good use I’m sure more people would be willing to pay more but.................
When you spend money that’s not yours it’s not spent in the wisest ways and that’s why resistance to new taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I think what was being said was the extra money wouldn’t accomplish anything. The government keeps getting more and more money yet want more not need more. When there is funding to study the mating of the tsetse fly we have spending problems. If taxes were put to good use I’m sure more people would be willing to pay more but.................
When you spend money that’s not yours it’s not spent in the wisest ways and that’s why resistance to new taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Study of mating of the tsetse fly....Studies help prevent dieases.......mating Mosquito females with males that have been treated..prevents more mosquitos from passing on the dieases to you and your families! Best regards, David

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If the taxes go through for ebay sellers/buyers, will they start doing the same thing for card shows, conventions, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist?

In my state, you would have to be paying taxes for all those venues if you conduct the transaction face to face in my state. My state is a gross receipts tax state so everything (goods and services except for grocery store food but including restaurant food) is taxed unlike some states that have no sales/GRT taxes or taxes on goods but not services.

I hope if taxes on internet sales come to fruition, it's based on the tax of the seller or at least the state of the buyer so you have to deal with 1 taxrate (seller) or 50 tax rates (buyer state) instead of who knows how many thousands of state/county/city/special in-city taxation districts that you as a seller would have to deal with and submit taxes to each month. It was a pain in the ass with 18 different state tax returns when I had a special stock income situation but I can't imagine thousands of filings (taxes owed or none owed but have to file anyway) to have to make each month to all these taxing authorities.

Last edited:

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I was at a recent show and a tax guy came through there getting names and info from dealers asking if they had tax ID numbers etc. It was the only time the promoter has seen that in over 12 years of doing the show...

Members online