Thread: AVOID SGC CROSSOVER SERVICE!!!!

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBust80 View Post
    EXACTLY, they never examined anything as he keep claiming. They saw the number "9.5" and not a "10" and instantly decided it wasn't worthy of their precious 98 slab. Bunch of pretentious morons if you ask me, I'm sorry.
    what do they gain by not grading I guess is my question? It seems someone didn't think it was a 98 and sent it back to you. I imagine it's frustrating but they seem to be standing by their claim.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm simply trying to warn others about how they grade.
    SGC has graded a 9.5 as a 98 in the past, but apparently now they are above such
    things.
    The cards in the past probably met SGC's requirements to grade it a 98.

With all grading companies, it's about the card, not the slab.

Some 9.5s crossover to PSA 10s, some to PSA 9s
    Some PSA 9s crossover to SGC 98s

The card is the issue, not a different company's slab.

You calling someone a whiny little ***** over the
    internet is a nice touch
    Whining like a b:tch because you didn't get what you wanted for $8 will cause
    some people to call you a whiny little bltch. The Internet was the only platform I
    had. If you were my neighbor, I'd walk to your house, knock on the door, then
    call you a whiny little b!tch when you answered. I'd also probably walk on the
    grass and steal your newspaper.
    Last edited by goobmcnasty; 05-11-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: To make my b!tches more prom!nent

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    I get being disappointed, but blaming SGC because they have higher
    standards makes you look like a whiny little b!tch.
    +1
    You should crack the card and send it raw to SGC for grading. Then you remove any possible influence from another grading company.
    I think it's comforting to know that SGC isn't just handing out 98s like beads at Mardi Gras...

I'd also probably walk on the grass and steal your newspaper.
    Last edited by Letch77; 05-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cards in the past probably met SGC's requirements to grade it a 98.

With all grading companies, it's about the card, not the slab.

Some 9.5s crossover to PSA 10s, some to PSA 9s
    Some PSA 9s crossover to SGC 98s

The card is the issue, not a different company's slab.

Whining like a b:tch because you didn't get what you wanted for $8 will cause
    some people to call you a whiny little bltch. The Internet was the only platform I
    had. If you were my neighbor, I'd walk to your house, knock on the door, then
    call you a whiny little b!tch when you answered. I'd also probably walk on the
    grass and steal your newspaper.
    shows what you know, I don't get the newspaper...and the internet is my only platform to raise this question, sorry to offend you. Own SGC stock?

This guy at SGC makes the claim the industry views his 98 as better than a 9.5. So answer the question: do you agree with him or not? If you saw the same card at a show, one with an SGC 98 and the other with a BGS 9.5, would you pay more for the SGC as he suggests is the case? I say bull.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shows what you know, I don't get the newspaper...and the internet is my only platform to raise this question, sorry to offend you. Own SGC stock?

This guy at SGC makes the claim the industry views his 98 as better than a 9.5. So answer the question: do you agree with him or not? If you saw the same card at a show, one with an SGC 98 and the other with a BGS 9.5, would you pay more for the SGC as he suggests is the case? I say bull.
    I do agree with him, company rhetoric or not. The eBay crowd might not agree but I think most dealers at shows would agree with that statement.

I would pay more for the SGC 98, just like I'd pay more for a PSA 10 than I will a BGS 9.5. Personally I think Beckett's 9.5 Gem Mint, 10 Gem Mint, 10 Pristine system is shady as can be. It lets them be much less accurate at the top end of the scale and still be "right". Throw in the fact that they're doing a great job recently of giving printed autos BGS10 grades and I'm not particularly trusting of BGS grading currently.

No one will do it because of the cost involved but I'd love to see a bunch of BGS 9.5s broken out of their cases and submitted to PSA for grading. I'd bet 85% or higher come back PSA 9.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    No one will do it because of the cost involved but I'd love to see a bunch of BGS 9.5s broken out of their cases and submitted to PSA for grading. I'd bet 85% or higher come back PSA 9.
    I'd take that bet, especially if the BGS 9.5's were 9 on the centering sub grades. I'm inclined to think it would swing the other way to a large degree, meaning a high % of PSA 10's.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SGC 98 has ALWAYS been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5 and this is coming from someone who has been in the hobby 45 years. If, in your world you do not agree then that is on you but this has always been the hobby's viewpoint.

Now if you are asking if I went to a show and had to chose between the BGS and the SGC based on this specific card itself, I would certainly choose the BGS graded card in this instance because everyone knows that modern BGS cards go for a higher price than SGC. If you were talking about a pre-war card then SGC would be the card to buy.

I don't understand why you come on this board to blast a company who has a fairly decent reputation (I guess as best as grading companies can have) yet you have no other posts and no other hobby content to share. Talk about someone with an axe to grind and should probably have his opinion taking with a grain of salt.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically only like my vintage cards graded, more for the sake of not getting a counterfeit, hopefully, so I don't really have a dog in the fight but this thread is incredibly entertaining. For what it's worth though I would regard an SGC 98 higher than a BSG 9.5.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the board, JBust80!
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beckett has the lowest standards of the 3 major grading companies. By far. Any BGS 9.5 with a 9 sub grade is the equivalent of a 9 from PSA or 96/9 from SGC.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't tell from their correspondence if they actually evaluated the card and determined it didn't meet the minimum grade or if they decided off the label. I've always been suspect of submitting to another company still in the graded holder. I'm surprised any company would give a card a higher grade than the prior company grade, even if the card deserved it.

Someone on here is doing a group submission to BGS, I bet you can submit through that for a ton cheaper than the $38 they quoted you.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchenrycards View Post
    SGC 98 has ALWAYS been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5 and this is coming from someone who has been in the hobby 45 years. If, in your world you do not agree then that is on you but this has always been the hobby's viewpoint.

Now if you are asking if I went to a show and had to chose between the BGS and the SGC based on this specific card itself, I would certainly choose the BGS graded card in this instance because everyone knows that modern BGS cards go for a higher price than SGC. If you were talking about a pre-war card then SGC would be the card to buy.

I don't understand why you come on this board to blast a company who has a fairly decent reputation (I guess as best as grading companies can have) yet you have no other posts and no other hobby content to share. Talk about someone with an axe to grind and should probably have his opinion taking with a grain of salt.
    Yes, this is my first day on here, what of it? And you just proved my point sir: a SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but theyíre telling me it isnít, and therefore didnít slab the crossover AND charged me? Itís not right, and you bet Iíve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate peopleís opinions on who they prefer.

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcook View Post
    I can't tell from their correspondence if they actually evaluated the card and determined it didn't meet the minimum grade or if they decided off the label. I've always been suspect of submitting to another company still in the graded holder. I'm surprised any company would give a card a higher grade than the prior company grade, even if the card deserved it.

Someone on here is doing a group submission to BGS, I bet you can submit through that for a ton cheaper than the $38 they quoted you.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    I saw that, but wasnít sure how a group submission would work? Thanks

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is my first day on here, what of it? And you just proved my point sir: a SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but they’re telling me it isn’t, and therefore didn’t slab the crossover AND charged me? It’s not right, and you bet I’ve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate people’s opinions on who they prefer.

LOL wow....this thread is destined for the hall of shame if you keep up the attitude.

As for what of it????? You going to be one of those internet tough guys or are you going to listen to those who have experience and actually listen or are you going to listen to the voices in your head who insist you are right? They charged you because they rendered an opinion on your card so you are due zero refund. Just because you didnt like the outcome does not mean you are due your money back. Sorry man...you are SOL.....but welcome to the boards.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what of it?
    I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent...

SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but theyíre telling me it isnít, and therefore didnít slab the crossover AND charged me? Itís not right, and you bet Iíve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate peopleís opinions on who they prefer.
    One more time, then you can go back to licking windows.

What they are telling you is YOUR PARTICULAR CARD, YOUR ICHIRO CARD, which is graded BGS 9.5 is owned by a ****ing idiot who is never going to comprehend anything. I hope Mommy beats you extra hard tonight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast