User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVOID SGC CROSSOVER SERVICE!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent...

One more time, then you can go back to licking windows.

What they are telling you is YOUR PARTICULAR CARD, YOUR ICHIRO CARD, which is graded BGS 9.5 is owned by a ****ing idiot who is never going to comprehend anything. I hope Mommy beats you extra hard tonight.
    post of the year so far! And BTW, SGC 98 has never been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchenrycards View Post
    LOL wow....this thread is destined for the hall of shame if you keep up the attitude.

As for what of it????? You going to be one of those internet tough guys or are you going to listen to those who have experience and actually listen or are you going to listen to the voices in your head who insist you are right? They charged you because they rendered an opinion on your card so you are due zero refund. Just because you didnt like the outcome does not mean you are due your money back. Sorry man...you are SOL.....but welcome to the boards.
    Internet tough guy? No, I just didnít understand the implication he was making. I still disagree with your assessment, they said themselves it was rejected b/c it was slabbed 9.5 and not a 10. I donít believe they reviewed the card beyond that, and I paid them to do so. Yes, Iím SOL it would seem...

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    Basically SCG looked at this card and said nope, it's not worthy of our label at that grade so they declined to slab it.

That's what I THINK happened.
    SCG is Aids

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent....
    I prefer Homer Simpson myself, heís had the better career, but that can be another thread for another day.
    Mmmmm windows (in Homer Simpson voice)

You still never answered me when I asked if you agree with them, is SGC 98 better than BGS 9.5? Would you pay more to have one?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBust80 View Post
    I prefer Homer Simpson myself, he’s had the better career, but that can be another thread for another day.
    I find myself reading things in a Homer voice daily. I think we're ill (in a good, Beastie Boys kinda way)!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBust80 View Post
    I prefer Homer Simpson myself, heís had the better career, but that can be another thread for another day.

You still never answered me when I asked if you agree with them, is SGC 98 better than BGS 9.5? Would you pay more to have one?
    As a whole, I don't think the market considers a SCG 98 as desirable as a BGS 9.5. I would expect it to sell higher than a PSA or BGS 9, but less than a 9.5.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    I find myself reading things in a Homer voice daily. I think we're ill (in a good, Beastie Boys kinda way)!
    Homer voice makes everything better! 😆

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did your card have a 9.0 subgrade? If so, that's your answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but SGC was correct here...

SGC 100 is a flawless card. Which in turn makes it the equivalent of a BGS 10 black label.

Since SGC 98 is the next lowest grade, if you were to grade on BGS's curve, the BGS 10 falls along these lines. SGC is basically saying to you, that they don't adhere to BGS's 9.5 Gem Mint standard in comparison to theirs. Their SGC 96 is probably a BGS 9.5.

Good on them, since BGS standards have gone out the window, and a BGS 9.5 card is a Mint 9 by most other company standards.

Super Moderator metallicalex777's Avatar
     metallicaalex777
     metallicalex777
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically SCG looked at this card and said nope, it's not worthy of our label at that grade so they declined to slab it.

That's what I THINK happened.
    The way I read it from SGC's first response in the OP was "...it appears that your card was not rejected for a crossover at the same grade, but rather it was rejected for a higher grade.". If I'm reading that correctly, this is what I think happened:

1. It sounds like the OP requested the minimum grade to be a 98. This hasn't been completely specified, but I'm assuming this is true as his intent is to crossover a BGS 9.5 number grade over to a 98 SGC grade.
    2. SGC is stating "our professional opinion is our own" as well as "we chose what we feel was a more logical approach". This "logical approach" is further specified as an SGC 98 grade being equivalent of a BGS 10 Gem label (10x3 and 9.5x1 subs) with an SGC 100 grade being equivalent of a BGS 10 Pristine label (10x4 subs). NOTE: This simply tells me that SGC is specifying that unless a slabbed BGS card is not a 10 grade, it will simply not meet the minimal grade requirement of a SGC 98
    3. With the above information, I don't see where the OP has specified information stating that a BGS 9.5 is always an exact translation to a SGC 98. Sure there are more than enough examples that that has happened in the past.
    4. To me it seems like SGC is actually stating they do grade them differently, and they go off of a mix of the BGS number score as well as the BGS word score (gem versus pristine)
    5. For the OP: What was the minimum grade you requested for SGC (I'd assume 98) and what are the subs on the BGS 9.5 (I'd assume there is either a 9 in one of the subs or no 10s at all in any of the subs)
    King Felix Hernandez Collector!!!

My Felix Hernandez PC:
    Alex Alex's (metallicalex777) PC - Felix Hernandez Album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was you I would have cracked it out of the case and forgot about crossover service. I feel what both you and the company man were saying except for when he said that industry experts value sgc 98 over bgs 9.5. That's hogwash! Which experts are he referring to? Nobody I know values any sgc label over bgs or Psa. I wish they did cuz sgc price is much more reasonable than the other two. Unless it's vintage, collectors just don't value sgc

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in the little time that I've re-entered the hobby I never knew about the BGS 10 Black Label Pristine until recently. And although I think it's a cool looking card, and obviously it's nice to have all 10 sub grades, it does make this situation somewhat confusing in a few ways.

1st, I think it's very possible that 9.5's could decrease in value in the future with this "New grade" and honestly it does seem kind of silly to me because now they have a Gem Mint grade, a Pristine grade and a Gem Mint Pristine grade if you will. Is that Black label good for the hobby? I don't know if I know the answer that question, but I don't think I'm all that fond of it. Seems like a brilliant new marketing ploy on their part to attract even more submissions, but again I honestly think it could eventually hurt the values of 9.5's as it sort of puts that grade 3rd on the list.

2nd, I think I get where SGC is coming from. It's kind of confusing as hell! Yes an SGC 98 is their version of Gem Mint and a BGS 9.5 is their version of Gem Mint. SO maybe SGC looked at it wanting to protect their grading system, and basically just balked at giving it a Gem grade seeing how Beckett now has two different pristine grades..idk. Hell, just imagine trying to cross over a BGS 10 to an SGC 100?!?! Not that I think anyone would actually try and do that but I think you see what I'm saying.

So I get where SGC is coming from and where the OP is coming from.

I will say this though. I agree that it should have been busted out if you were going to send it to SGC. But my question in this whole fiasco is why didn't you just pay the $38 in the first place ? If most people think an SGC 98 does not carry the same value as a BGS 9.5 ( including myself although others may respectfully disagree) then why not pay the $38 rather than lose some value to try to get it crossed over to it SGC 98? To me that's actually the biggest issue here beyond anything else that's been discussed. I mean I don't know what the value is on your card but let's just say someone has a $500 card in a BGS holder and the same card is $400 in an SGC holder, both in Gem Mint grades. In this case which is better, to pay $38 for a re-slab or to pay SGC to cross it over?
    I know my answer to that. But anyway welcome to the boards! I think you'll find most people here to be extremely helpful so stick around

Cheers!

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you gentlemen for your responses, really appreciate it! Iíll try to touch on some of what you said/asked.

Yes I asked for a 98, thinking their 98 is the equivalent of a 9.5. Also a few years back I did the same thing and had no issues (2015 I think). I also was not familiar with the two 10 slabs from BGS, and frankly that point is void in this situation as the BGS slab I submitted predated the two BGS 10 slabs, making it a true gem mint in my mind (subgrades are on the back of my card). My card does have one 9 subgrade, no 10.

I agree that from now on Iíll break the card out, though Iíve never attempted this and didnít want to risk damaging the card! In truth my post should say ďavoid all crossoversĒ as it is clear to me they cause more issues than they solve. I donít think any company could grade a crossover in a fair and unbiased way after this ordeal. I avoided the $38 for two reasons: yes I figured an SGC slab could devalue the card some, but I donít intend to sale and I really do like the SGC slab. Secondly, and my wife can attest to this, Iím shall we say frugal by nature 😋

I would like to update everyone: I emailed Matt Clark again after receiving my shipment, and I took his offer of sending it back to them, at no expense, and they will review again. Afterward he will give me their final decision and the reasons behind it. Heís been a true professional in all of this, and Iíve thanked him for that.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They probably read this lol.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

buster3697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably read this lol.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Right?? Some of the replies Iíve gotten made me think they work there, took things personally almost smh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast