Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AVOID SGC CROSSOVER SERVICE!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
No one will do it because of the cost involved but I'd love to see a bunch of BGS 9.5s broken out of their cases and submitted to PSA for grading. I'd bet 85% or higher come back PSA 9.

I'd take that bet, especially if the BGS 9.5's were 9 on the centering sub grades. I'm inclined to think it would swing the other way to a large degree, meaning a high % of PSA 10's.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
shows what you know, I don't get the newspaper...and the internet is my only platform to raise this question, sorry to offend you. Own SGC stock?

This guy at SGC makes the claim the industry views his 98 as better than a 9.5. So answer the question: do you agree with him or not? If you saw the same card at a show, one with an SGC 98 and the other with a BGS 9.5, would you pay more for the SGC as he suggests is the case? I say bull.

SGC 98 has ALWAYS been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5 and this is coming from someone who has been in the hobby 45 years. If, in your world you do not agree then that is on you but this has always been the hobby's viewpoint.

Now if you are asking if I went to a show and had to chose between the BGS and the SGC based on this specific card itself, I would certainly choose the BGS graded card in this instance because everyone knows that modern BGS cards go for a higher price than SGC. If you were talking about a pre-war card then SGC would be the card to buy.

I don't understand why you come on this board to blast a company who has a fairly decent reputation (I guess as best as grading companies can have) yet you have no other posts and no other hobby content to share. Talk about someone with an axe to grind and should probably have his opinion taking with a grain of salt.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I typically only like my vintage cards graded, more for the sake of not getting a counterfeit, hopefully, so I don't really have a dog in the fight but this thread is incredibly entertaining. For what it's worth though I would regard an SGC 98 higher than a BSG 9.5.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Beckett has the lowest standards of the 3 major grading companies. By far. Any BGS 9.5 with a 9 sub grade is the equivalent of a 9 from PSA or 96/9 from SGC.

Scott F

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
I can't tell from their correspondence if they actually evaluated the card and determined it didn't meet the minimum grade or if they decided off the label. I've always been suspect of submitting to another company still in the graded holder. I'm surprised any company would give a card a higher grade than the prior company grade, even if the card deserved it.

Someone on here is doing a group submission to BGS, I bet you can submit through that for a ton cheaper than the $38 they quoted you.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
SGC 98 has ALWAYS been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5 and this is coming from someone who has been in the hobby 45 years. If, in your world you do not agree then that is on you but this has always been the hobby's viewpoint.

Now if you are asking if I went to a show and had to chose between the BGS and the SGC based on this specific card itself, I would certainly choose the BGS graded card in this instance because everyone knows that modern BGS cards go for a higher price than SGC. If you were talking about a pre-war card then SGC would be the card to buy.

I don't understand why you come on this board to blast a company who has a fairly decent reputation (I guess as best as grading companies can have) yet you have no other posts and no other hobby content to share. Talk about someone with an axe to grind and should probably have his opinion taking with a grain of salt.

Yes, this is my first day on here, what of it? And you just proved my point sir: a SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but they’re telling me it isn’t, and therefore didn’t slab the crossover AND charged me? It’s not right, and you bet I’ve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate people’s opinions on who they prefer.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
I can't tell from their correspondence if they actually evaluated the card and determined it didn't meet the minimum grade or if they decided off the label. I've always been suspect of submitting to another company still in the graded holder. I'm surprised any company would give a card a higher grade than the prior company grade, even if the card deserved it.

Someone on here is doing a group submission to BGS, I bet you can submit through that for a ton cheaper than the $38 they quoted you.

I saw that, but wasn’t sure how a group submission would work? Thanks

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Yes, this is my first day on here, what of it? And you just proved my point sir: a SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but they’re telling me it isn’t, and therefore didn’t slab the crossover AND charged me? It’s not right, and you bet I’ve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate people’s opinions on who they prefer.

LOL wow....this thread is destined for the hall of shame if you keep up the attitude.

As for what of it????? You going to be one of those internet tough guys or are you going to listen to those who have experience and actually listen or are you going to listen to the voices in your head who insist you are right? They charged you because they rendered an opinion on your card so you are due zero refund. Just because you didnt like the outcome does not mean you are due your money back. Sorry man...you are SOL.....but welcome to the boards.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
what of it?

I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent...

SGC 98 is the same as a BGS 9.5, but they’re telling me it isn’t, and therefore didn’t slab the crossover AND charged me? It’s not right, and you bet I’ve got an axe to grind about it. But I sincerely appreciate people’s opinions on who they prefer.

One more time, then you can go back to licking windows.

What they are telling you is YOUR PARTICULAR CARD, YOUR ICHIRO CARD, which is graded BGS 9.5 is owned by a ****ing idiot who is never going to comprehend anything. I hope Mommy beats you extra hard tonight.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent...

One more time, then you can go back to licking windows.

What they are telling you is YOUR PARTICULAR CARD, YOUR ICHIRO CARD, which is graded BGS 9.5 is owned by a ****ing idiot who is never going to comprehend anything. I hope Mommy beats you extra hard tonight.
post of the year so far! And BTW, SGC 98 has never been the equivalent of a BGS 9.5.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
LOL wow....this thread is destined for the hall of shame if you keep up the attitude.

As for what of it????? You going to be one of those internet tough guys or are you going to listen to those who have experience and actually listen or are you going to listen to the voices in your head who insist you are right? They charged you because they rendered an opinion on your card so you are due zero refund. Just because you didnt like the outcome does not mean you are due your money back. Sorry man...you are SOL.....but welcome to the boards.

Internet tough guy? No, I just didn’t understand the implication he was making. I still disagree with your assessment, they said themselves it was rejected b/c it was slabbed 9.5 and not a 10. I don’t believe they reviewed the card beyond that, and I paid them to do so. Yes, I’m SOL it would seem...

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
I wonder if I'm the only one who read that with a Stewie Griffin accent....

I prefer Homer Simpson myself, he’s had the better career, but that can be another thread for another day.
Mmmmm windows (in Homer Simpson voice)

You still never answered me when I asked if you agree with them, is SGC 98 better than BGS 9.5? Would you pay more to have one?

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I prefer Homer Simpson myself, he’s had the better career, but that can be another thread for another day.
I find myself reading things in a Homer voice daily. I think we're ill (in a good, Beastie Boys kinda way)! :lol:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011

You still never answered me when I asked if you agree with them, is SGC 98 better than BGS 9.5? Would you pay more to have one?
As a whole, I don't think the market considers a SCG 98 as desirable as a BGS 9.5. I would expect it to sell higher than a PSA or BGS 9, but less than a 9.5.

jschl93994

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry, but SGC was correct here...

SGC 100 is a flawless card. Which in turn makes it the equivalent of a BGS 10 black label.

Since SGC 98 is the next lowest grade, if you were to grade on BGS's curve, the BGS 10 falls along these lines. SGC is basically saying to you, that they don't adhere to BGS's 9.5 Gem Mint standard in comparison to theirs. Their SGC 96 is probably a BGS 9.5.

Good on them, since BGS standards have gone out the window, and a BGS 9.5 card is a Mint 9 by most other company standards.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Basically SCG looked at this card and said nope, it's not worthy of our label at that grade so they declined to slab it.

That's what I THINK happened.

The way I read it from SGC's first response in the OP was "...it appears that your card was not rejected for a crossover at the same grade, but rather it was rejected for a higher grade.". If I'm reading that correctly, this is what I think happened:

1. It sounds like the OP requested the minimum grade to be a 98. This hasn't been completely specified, but I'm assuming this is true as his intent is to crossover a BGS 9.5 number grade over to a 98 SGC grade.
2. SGC is stating "our professional opinion is our own" as well as "we chose what we feel was a more logical approach". This "logical approach" is further specified as an SGC 98 grade being equivalent of a BGS 10 Gem label (10x3 and 9.5x1 subs) with an SGC 100 grade being equivalent of a BGS 10 Pristine label (10x4 subs). NOTE: This simply tells me that SGC is specifying that unless a slabbed BGS card is not a 10 grade, it will simply not meet the minimal grade requirement of a SGC 98
3. With the above information, I don't see where the OP has specified information stating that a BGS 9.5 is always an exact translation to a SGC 98. Sure there are more than enough examples that that has happened in the past.
4. To me it seems like SGC is actually stating they do grade them differently, and they go off of a mix of the BGS number score as well as the BGS word score (gem versus pristine)
5. For the OP: What was the minimum grade you requested for SGC (I'd assume 98) and what are the subs on the BGS 9.5 (I'd assume there is either a 9 in one of the subs or no 10s at all in any of the subs)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts