Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AVOID SGC CROSSOVER SERVICE!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
I recently purchased a BGS 9.5 Ichiro rookie on eBay, but the slab was an old one and the case was scratched up pretty bad. After contacting Beckett about having a new holder, I decided against paying them $38 (seriously, for one card?!?) and instead sent the card to SGC for crossover service. HUGE MISTAKE! They sent it back to me, claiming that it didn't meet the minimum grade requirement. When I asked for an explanation this was the response I got:

Hi, Jonathan. We apologize for the disappointment with your last order. SGC takes time and effort to ensure that our standards are upheld when grading crossovers from other companies. Our professional opinion is our own, and it does not always reflect those of our competitors. That being said, an SGC 98 would actually be the equivalent of a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. So, in this case, it appears that your card was not rejected for a crossover at the same grade, but rather it was rejected for a higher grade. We apologize for any confusion and/or inconvenience in this matter, and hope to provide our services for you in the future.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? These idiots don't understand that a BGS 9.5 is the same as PSA 10 or an SGC 98?! Total BS! When I asked for further clarification from Matthew Clark, Director of whatever, this was his reply:

Hi Jonathan,

I understand you are frustrated in this matter and I apologize you were dissatisfied with the results of your latest submission.

Having said that, the SGC employee who replied to you on Facebook was not misinformed. An SGC 98 is the equivalent of a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. It even says 10 on the label under the 98 grade.

Grading is subjective and we may not always agree with other companies, just as they may not always agree with our findings.

Best Regards,
Matthew Clark

They can't grasp that a Beckett 9.5 is a gem mint, same as their 98! UNREAL the level of incompetence they are showing, and I would avoid them at all costs if I were you!

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
That's the kicker, they didn't grade it. They sent it back in the same old Beckett case, and took my $8 for services rendered. If I am to believe them, I guess I should've asked for a 96 Mint grade from them and taken a hit in grade, even though their slab clearly says a 96 is a 9? I'm just stunned they are this incompetent. At one time SGC was a great company, but they've lost my business forever after this. I've asked for a refund but as of yet Mr Clark has not complied with that request.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
As far as I understand, no grading company has strict crossover guidelines, they regrade the card. How exactly would it have cost you $38 for BGS to re-slab?

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
$20 return shipping, $10 insurance, $8 for a new holder, coming directly from a guy at Beckett.

The point on SGC is this: they never bothered to look at my 9.5 b/c according to them it had to be a 10 to even be their 98, but on the Beckett grading scale that simply is NOT true, and they refuse to acknowledge that. Their last email even went so far as to say their 98 is viewed as higher than a BGS 9.5 in the industry...news to this collector! Total BS

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
From Matthew Clark:

Beckett has two 10 labels, a regular 10 label and a black 10 label, both of which they call Pristine. However, they are not the same--regular "Pristine" 10's have subgrades lower than 10. We chose what we feel was a more logical approach and called our 98 (the equivalent of a 10) "Gem" and our 100 "Pristine" simply to differentiate between the grades, because they are not the same, just as Beckett's 10 and black label 10 are not the same. Why Beckett decided to call their 9.5 "Gem" rather than "Mint+," I don't know, but it has no effect on our scale or how we grade.

We can agree to disagree on the grading scale if you would like, although I believe the vast majority of industry experts would take the stance that a Becket 9.5 is not equivalent to an SGC 98.

I'm convinced this company left their standards and brains in New Jersey when they moved to Florida...I'm done.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I guess that depends on the value of the card and what shipping you opt for but those are your cost to cover.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Why should one grading company be held to another company's practices? If you're going to submit it, you should just take what the new company gives it. It's their opinion and they're not held to what another company's opinion was.

God I hate grading and all its shady components.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
EXACTLY, they never examined anything as he keep claiming. They saw the number "9.5" and not a "10" and instantly decided it wasn't worthy of their precious 98 slab. Bunch of pretentious morons if you ask me, I'm sorry.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Just because one company says it's Gem Mint, doesn't mean it's up to
the standards of a different company's grade of Gem Mint. You paid
SGC to regrade it. They did. It didn't meet the minimum grade that
YOU specified, so they didn't remove/reslab it.

I get being disappointed, but blaming SGC because they have higher
standards makes you look like a whiny little b!tch.

Last edited:

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
I'm simply trying to warn others about how they grade. SGC has graded a 9.5 as a 98 in the past, but apparently now they are above such things. You calling someone a whiny little ***** over the internet is a nice touch

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
EXACTLY, they never examined anything as he keep claiming. They saw the number "9.5" and not a "10" and instantly decided it wasn't worthy of their precious 98 slab. Bunch of pretentious morons if you ask me, I'm sorry.

what do they gain by not grading I guess is my question? It seems someone didn't think it was a 98 and sent it back to you. I imagine it's frustrating but they seem to be standing by their claim.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I'm simply trying to warn others about how they grade.
SGC has graded a 9.5 as a 98 in the past, but apparently now they are above such
things.

The cards in the past probably met SGC's requirements to grade it a 98.

With all grading companies, it's about the card, not the slab.

Some 9.5s crossover to PSA 10s, some to PSA 9s
Some PSA 9s crossover to SGC 98s

The card is the issue, not a different company's slab.

You calling someone a whiny little ***** over the
internet is a nice touch

Whining like a b:tch because you didn't get what you wanted for $8 will cause
some people to call you a whiny little bltch. The Internet was the only platform I
had. If you were my neighbor, I'd walk to your house, knock on the door, then
call you a whiny little b!tch when you answered. I'd also probably walk on the
grass and steal your newspaper.

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I get being disappointed, but blaming SGC because they have higher
standards makes you look like a whiny little b!tch.
+1
You should crack the card and send it raw to SGC for grading. Then you remove any possible influence from another grading company. :lol:
I think it's comforting to know that SGC isn't just handing out 98s like beads at Mardi Gras...

I'd also probably walk on the grass and steal your newspaper.
:lol:

Last edited:

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
The cards in the past probably met SGC's requirements to grade it a 98.

With all grading companies, it's about the card, not the slab.

Some 9.5s crossover to PSA 10s, some to PSA 9s
Some PSA 9s crossover to SGC 98s

The card is the issue, not a different company's slab.

Whining like a b:tch because you didn't get what you wanted for $8 will cause
some people to call you a whiny little bltch. The Internet was the only platform I
had. If you were my neighbor, I'd walk to your house, knock on the door, then
call you a whiny little b!tch when you answered. I'd also probably walk on the
grass and steal your newspaper.

shows what you know, I don't get the newspaper...and the internet is my only platform to raise this question, sorry to offend you. Own SGC stock?

This guy at SGC makes the claim the industry views his 98 as better than a 9.5. So answer the question: do you agree with him or not? If you saw the same card at a show, one with an SGC 98 and the other with a BGS 9.5, would you pay more for the SGC as he suggests is the case? I say bull.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
shows what you know, I don't get the newspaper...and the internet is my only platform to raise this question, sorry to offend you. Own SGC stock?

This guy at SGC makes the claim the industry views his 98 as better than a 9.5. So answer the question: do you agree with him or not? If you saw the same card at a show, one with an SGC 98 and the other with a BGS 9.5, would you pay more for the SGC as he suggests is the case? I say bull.

I do agree with him, company rhetoric or not. The eBay crowd might not agree but I think most dealers at shows would agree with that statement.

I would pay more for the SGC 98, just like I'd pay more for a PSA 10 than I will a BGS 9.5. Personally I think Beckett's 9.5 Gem Mint, 10 Gem Mint, 10 Pristine system is shady as can be. It lets them be much less accurate at the top end of the scale and still be "right". Throw in the fact that they're doing a great job recently of giving printed autos BGS10 grades and I'm not particularly trusting of BGS grading currently.

No one will do it because of the cost involved but I'd love to see a bunch of BGS 9.5s broken out of their cases and submitted to PSA for grading. I'd bet 85% or higher come back PSA 9.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts