Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hi People...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
So after taking almost a 6 year hiatus from sportscards and being pretty much out of the hobby completely, I've recently returned to collecting and selling baseball cards and some memorabilia. Basically in a nutshell I got burned out, that and the fact that the time that is involved in cards and especially in "prospecting" was taking away time from my 3 daughters who needed that time much more than cardboard did.
However, with my work being slow and my daughters all being teenagers now, I NEED AN OUTLET again!! Although I must say that with 2 of them dating it is rather difficult to balance a weapon in 1 hand and sportscards in the other.

I know there's a lot of new people on here since I've been away, so just a quick rundown on me. I signed on about 1999 or so on the old Beckett messageboards, of which this site eventually spawned from for various reasons and was started by Chris and John. Back in the old Beckett days though believe it or not, most people actually used their real names, at least back in the early onset of it ...that was just pretty much the norm. And it was a great site to be on with quite the cast of colorful characters. Unfortunately over time though there was a significant decline mainly because of Beckett administrators heavy-handed changes to the site which led to most simply departing and coming over here in 2008 after Freedom was started. Yes indeed, we needed our freedom back.

Anyhoo, I don't post a ton and don't want this post to be any kind of "grand" re-entrance, but I hope to be more involved now and as always this site has always been a wealth of information.

So hello to those who don't know me and hello again to those who do!

Cheers!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Who is this joker? Never heard of him. He seems SO pretentious....I mean, really, are we seriously expected to remember him?

WB, dude. ;)

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
BTW, I got a PM from Kris (Incognito1965) recently, who is also contemplating returning here after a long time away. Heard from him, [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]? (I pointed him to you.)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
WOW....excited to have you back! [MENTION=2400]Randy Shields[/MENTION] was a 2006 inductee to our informal HOF on the Beckett boards.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Randy...

Cleveland....

You in?

Tim and I are in.

Hi Chris,

It's 50/50 right now as far as setting up. I talked to Megan the 1st week of April and she said it was sold out for dealers. They sold out about the 3rd week of March. She said they've never sold out any earlier than the latter part of May. I sent in the form to be put on the waiting list but I'm not crossing my fingers, as she said there were already about 30 people on it--although some were only going to set up if they could get certain spots.

I think I know why, they've totally redone the floor plan. Instead of offering 10X10's and 10X15's and having the long rows they only have 10X15's and they're putting them in blocks of 4 creating islands if you will. That's cutting out any dealers who only want 10X10's and eating up more floor space thus eliminating the amount of booths available. That makes it much easier and convenient to navigate for visitors but it also make for less booths. So while the convenience may be a plus for visitors overall I think there will be fewer dealers which doesn't make it good for either. I asked her if they could attain more space there and she said they inquired about it but were told they couldn't.

Should still be a good show as usual but I might just be a spectator at this point.. :|

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Danny, my memory fails me a lot of times and I'd not given that a thought until you just mentioned it! Were you not yourself voted in before me for that very prestigious and life changing award?

Joey12508, thanks for that..I still watch those After Hours clips. Absolutely loved that kid but no one would know it... :wink:

And thanks to the rest of you whom I remember just not by your names except for Tim, Chad, David, Anthony, and the one, the only, Mr. JP Schwartz -whom btw I've known for at least 25 years or more, maybe closer to 30. We go back to the old SCD days before the internet where that was the place to buy/sell and trade...I feel so old...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Danny, my memory fails me a lot of times and I'd not given that a thought until you just mentioned it! Were you not yourself voted in before me for that very prestigious and life changing award?

Joey12508, thanks for that..I still watch those After Hours clips. Absolutely loved that kid but no one would know it... :wink:

And thanks to the rest of you whom I remember just not by your names except for Tim, Chad, David, Anthony, and the one, the only, Mr. JP Schwartz -whom btw I've known for at least 25 years or more, maybe closer to 30. We go back to the old SCD days before the internet where that was the place to buy/sell and trade...I feel so old...

Not to mention the Teletrade phone auctions, before eBay existed. I remember getting outbid for a 93 SP Jeter PSA 10, which ended for just over $600. I'd thought that was too much at the time.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Randy, I was indeed voted with this great group:
Dano Secrist
Glen Luena (Glen L)
J. P. (Jaypers)
William Brumbach

My life hasn't been the same since.....I continue to age!!!!!!!!

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
WOW!
Kind of like an old class reunion here.
I don't post much at all but I do still lurk now and again.
Hope life has been treating you well Randy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts