Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The reality of life really sucks sometimes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Sometimes the true reality of life's mortality unfortunately steps in when you least expect it.

I'm met a guy and have known him some twenty years through collecting cards. We would see each other numerous times at card shows and have long conversations on the phone about cards and anything else you could think of. He was my friend. When I used to set up at the National in Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland, etc this guy would help me pack up, travel with me, we would room together, I would give him an exhibitor's pass, he would help me set up, he would give me breaks every day and watch my booth, and he would help me tear and pack up for the long journey back home.

This man really was one of the good guys.Truly he was one of the best. He was one of the nicest guys you would have ever met. He was humble, he was honest, he was a man of integrity, he was kind, he was laid back and never got overly excited, and he was always willing to help no matter what the situation was. I could honestly write a book about this guy. Everyone that knew him liked him. You couldn't help but like him whether you'd known him for years or whether you just met him.

He messed around some with modern cards and did become a member here although I don't think he ever posted. His true love was for vintage and he especially loved tobacco cards. He had a very nice collection of T206 cards as well as other cards from that era. He was a very active member on Net54, and there is a post running over there about him now.

I introduced him to Chris, Ken, and some of the other FBC administrators at the National years ago, you guys may remember him. And some of you on here may have known him, I don't know. He tagged along with me to the FBC dinner in Chicago in 2011. He also invited me to come along to the Net54 dinners at the Nationals we went to.

During my hiatus from cards and collecting we didn't communicate a lot as I was busy with life in general outside of cards. I look back on that and wish it was different. When I got back into collecting a little over a month ago he was one of the first guys I called which led to many telephone conversations, some two to three hours in length. He was just such a nice guy to talk to and had a wealth of knowledge about the hobby. We had a lot of laughs through the years and especially in our trips to the National.
I just set up for my first card show a week ago Sunday and I was right across from him as he sets up there regularly. We had some fun as usual joking around and having a good time as it was kind of a slow day and not a lot of foot traffic. And then we talked for a while after we were all packed up, and of course he helped me pack up.
The last thing I said to him was we need to keep in touch more often and he said yes we do.

I was just informed yesterday that my friend, Jantz Morey, passed away yesterday morning. He was only 51 years old. I am truly honored and blessed to have been able to call him my friend. There was simply no one like Jantz.

So sometimes in life when things seem to be rolling along smoothly, the harsh reality of its eventuality hits you right between the eyes without any notice. And in those moments you think about your own mortality and you give your wife and kids an extra hug, an extra kiss.
Life is short and you never know how long you have or who you'll have in it. We all have rough patches in our lives but when something like this happens some of our troubles seem to be so miniscule in comparison.

So my heart is heavy today and I must admit I've shed a few tears, even as I type this. I'm still in somewhat of a state of shock but I wanted this to be a memorial to one of the kindest, sweetest guys I've ever met in my life and would ever meet in a thousand lives.

We just truly need to appreciate and love those we have in our lives and keep in contact more because we never know how long we're going to have them.

God bless you Jantz Morey. You will be so sorely missed.

20180515_094218.png
Jantz Morey
January 5, 1967 - May 14, 2018

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Very well written, the emotion is very well expressed, you could tell he meant a lot to you. I obviously didn’t know him, but could get a good picture from your words. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
You were fortunate to come across someone like that. Though there are many, many good people out there, when one touches your life, you are blessed. I believe what you wrote fully reflects that!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Thanks for posting this. Not many people like you describe him to be in this world, so you are lucky to have known him! I’m sorry for your loss.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
Very sad to read and so sorry for your loss. Indeed, he seemed like a great guy and a true friend for you. Keep in mind that you had the priviledge of knowing such a great person. Stay strong for him and for yourself.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Thank you for the story about your friend. You were very blessed to have such a great person as a true friend. I'm very sorry for your loss. Stay strong and God bless.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
You know this board has always had some of the nicest people on it and it obviously still does. I am truly humbled by your kindness. You know I honestly think that divine intervention played a major role in me getting back into cards as it gave me the opportunity to see and have some long talks with my buddy Jantz 1 last time before he died.

Thank you all so much for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated!

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Sometimes life just isn't fair. I'm a believer in that everything happens for a reason, and while it may be hard to see now, you will eventually figure out the reason in the coming weeks/months/years. Sorry for your loss.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Sorry for the passing away of your friend Jantz Morey! Your story about your friendship with him was very touching and I'm sure your friend was looking down as you wrote it with a smile on his face! My prayers and best thoughts to you and his family! Best regards, David

Members online

Latest posts