Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some packaged cards are prepared for a nuclear attack!

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some packaged cards are prepared for a nuclear attack!

Again, I've been away from the hobby for quite some time but I've recently been buying some cards to try to restock my inventory.
    So today for example I get 8 packages in the mail. It literally took me the better part of a half hour to get them all opened. I promise you I have no inferior dexterity issues!

A lot of them come packaged many different ways but on so many occasions now it's a fight to the death to get them opened.

You start out with a bubble mailer, but you can't just tear the bubble mailer open because there's tape all over it, especially on both ends. So you cut into the mailer. Then once you get inside inside the bubble mailer there is another bubble mailer.

You think the battles almost won!

So you rip open that bubble mailer only to find cardboard taped around your card(s), and a lot of blue duct tape that appears to be selling very well these days!!

You then remove the blue duct tape from the cardboard and you feel like you're getting closer to the finish line!
    BUT, after you've managed your way through this jungle you find your card in a team set bag that's all taped up... So you free your card from the team set bag and you finally get your card out and you are victorious!!!

Until you realize the top loaders been way over taped and you have to cut it open as well! The top loader isn't even usable anymore so you throw it in the trash can.
    On some occasions, like today, incredible amounts of bubble wrap were included in two of my packages. They both had to be cut open with a chainsaw! And then the same thing, cardboard, blue tape, team bag, toploader.

I'm telling you these cards are packaged to survive a nuclear attack!

I don't know if these sellers are extremely wary of receiving a hit on their packaging but to me this is overkill! I just want to get my card out! Is it too much to ask to get my card out without spending 5 minutes to do it? Is it?? IS IT?

Can I get a witness?
    Randy

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ARE correct!!!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures ! Or it didn't happen.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait til you get a high end card with no protection bent up in a PWE, you’ll be wishing for all the tape and bubblewrap

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Just wait til you get a high end card with no protection bent up in a PWE, you’ll be wishing for all the tape and bubblewrap

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    Oh I've had that happen, just luckily not a high end card. It's even better when it's in a white envelope without the toploader being taped shut and the card is either half out or all the way out. I've experienced that more than once. Your right though, I need to count my blessings as I'd rather have a package that could survive being run over by tank than be in a PWE!
    Randy

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post made me laugh out loud!!! It's funny cuz it's true!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy something from Probstein123?

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're lucky I limited to 15 lb mailers for nine more days and I don't use blue tape .

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blue tape method! I'm into the rubber band method.....much easlier and the card does not stick to the rubber band! Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the taped toploader INSIDE a team bag seems a little overkill.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you, some of these cards are so taped up with all sorts of tough to cut packing tape that i fined it hard to not damage the card trying to cut it out of it's tomb. I get protecting the card, but I really wonder if some of these sellers ever buy anything, because once you try to free one of these cards you wouldn't ship a card this way unless you really wanted to make an enemy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me shipping is pretty straightforward. Penny sleeve and top load or magnetic goes into a team bag. One wrap of bubble wrap that is taped closed with painters' tape then into a padded mailer and out the door. If it is several cheaper cards then they get penny sleeved, put into a used thick top loader of appropriate size then team bagged etc.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2016 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've received one or two cards where they used a half roll of duct tape. It was the size of a softball for one card.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it took me forever to unwrap my BGS 9.5/10 Juan Soto refractor auto. It came in one of those Priority Mail mailer boxes. For some reason he felt it necessary to use 10 yards of mailer tape on the outside of the box...every single corner...my scissors couldn't even cut through it cuz it was so thick. Three hours later when I finally get the box open...we've got more cardboard with more mailer tape on each side....get through that and now we've got 20 sheets of bubble mailer...and more mailer tape. Had to be careful cuz I didn't want to accidentally scrape the BGS case while cutting through the mailer tape.

This was a $480 purchase so I'm glad he took the time to protect it but he could have done without all the damn mailer tape and much less bubble mailer.

People these days just love their mailer tape, they go nuts with it.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

bigrsports
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I wanted this to be a funny/serious/true kind of post and it's been all of that in particular the funny part. "Cut it out of it's tomb", "It was the size of a softball", "10 yards of mailer tape" Lol... That's just some funny stuff, but it's TRUE!!! I mean at some point these packages won't even be able to fit in the mailbox, they'll have to be left on the doorstep in they're padded, bubble-wrapped, cardboard encased, blue painters taped, peanut filled Cocoon's!!!

I honestly felt bad for the postal carrier the day I posted this because she came walking up the driveway with my 8 packages appearing as if she were playing a huge yellow and white Accordion while trying to manage her Electronic Signature Device at the same time, because unfortunately for her I had to sign for one. At one point she just about made it to me and then everything shifted on her! Luckily she quickly re-grasped this accordion of cocoons, regaining control of the entire monstrosity of cardboard coffins all the while I'm not only applauding her efforts but also thinking to myself "She definitely doesn't have to worry about dropping and damaging any of those damn things!!"

Looking back I should have just stood in the doorway with my arms grasped together in a giant circle and she could have seen how many out of the 8 she could have thrown through at 10 feet. --Free water or soda for 5 or better! Either that or I could have propped the door open, held them up with my finger, yelled "Hike!" and seen how many she could have kicked through the door successfully, again for a refreshing beverage!!

Ahh well, they say hindsight is 20/20, so maybe next time.....
    Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast